-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just noticed your awesome avatar picture. What rifle,glass and bullet?

Any pics of the platform?...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fredIII
Your wife have a good day I'm going hunting

Didn't mean to tie your tongue or have you slurk off...because you were really doing "great"!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Looks like someone switched their meds and went back with their old profile name

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You ALMOST said something about The Rifle.

Almost.................

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The floating magazine that moves with the action to remove the mag box binding issue is just another reason I like Sako 85's.

Remy action geography might make them easier to machine but the box mag thing introduces issues

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never had a binding issue with any Remmie magbox,that was assembled to the receiver correctly.

Whether ADL or BDL................

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Although I guess a clone, this is a Stiller action.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Barsness wrote a short piece here about rifle troubleshooting. His first approach when groups are erratic is NOT checking the bedding. I trust Barsness's understanding over yours, 'Stick. I recommend a refresher to those who are having random issues with their rifles.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/newsletters/October_2011.html

Not that Stick needs defending but I'll say this -

I like John and his writing a ton. I've learned a metric ton from Stick and his shooting.

They both shoot a lot but I don't know of anyone who's so quick and willing to flog just about anything in R&D like Stick.

His 'diagnosis' isn't from his ass, it's from a hell of a lot of trigger time on multiple platforms with multiple cartridges.

Some guys gloat about buying primers by the 1000. That's probably a week for him, mebbe less. Nothing against JB but I don't know
of ANYONE who is a writer that shoots as much on pure volume alone.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rifles talk...noone listens.............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Although I guess a clone, this is a Stiller action.

The better the componetry,the easier the diagnosis and lotsa folks are in a hurry to overlook that obvious.

If/when assembly and fastener tightness are verified,as well as glass...it's bedding. Rifles shoot loose,they do not shoot tight and I'm ALWAYS going to tighten things more than most,due those simplistic facts.

Chasing one's tail with moot reloading "practices",will yield nothing but lotsa mediocre performance and nothing can be learned when dots aren't connected.

Rest assured,there's method to the madness and Starting At The [bleep] Start can ONLY bear fruit and connect dots.....................(hint)

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
HuntnShoot,

While I appreciate the confidence, I agree with Stick on this one. When a rifle tends to consistently throw the third shot out, after two close together, odds are very high it's a bedding problem.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I don't recall arguing that bedding couldn't be the problem. I looked at his groups, saw that the 3rd shot wasn't thrown out on all of them, remembered your article, John, wherein you state that you start with a known scope, with screws not overtight, when gun is shooting erratically, and go from there.

I was arguing with Stick that he didn't have enough info to just toss out 'bedding'. He later backpedaled and offered that if the scope, mounts are kosher, to check the bedding.

Don't know how I got into the middle of this. Just trying to help the guy out. In the few rifles that had this problem for me, after farting around with various loads, loosening and then retightening the scope mounts fixed it. Thus I volunteered that. I still think it is good advise. I have far less experience in what constitutes proper bedding of action than I do in what constitutes proper scope mounting to prevent spraying when things heat up.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your "best" ain't a very pretty picture.

Someone who "knows" as "much" as you,is always going to be better served by asking questions...rather than giving answers.(hint)

It's VERY obviously bedding to anyone with a clue,which keeps you fully out of the mix................(hint)

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
You're right, you didn't did say bedding couldn't be the problem. But I never said you did.

Casey apparently has confidence in his scope and mounts, and says he's seeing a pretty consistent pattern of the third shot being a flier. In my experience, scope/mount/bullet problems can produce a flier at any time, but when there's a pattern of the 3rd shot being a flier the odds are pretty good for a bedding problem.

Please note that I didn't say it definitely was a bedding problem, just that the odds were higher.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
My smith is ADAMENT that it is not the bedding... I politely asked him to check it out and see what he sees. He says he has had other clients shoot the same bullets and have the same thing happen, they when switched to Bergers and viola.... 2" groups at 700.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Snake Oil is routinely hilarious and for alotta reasons...............

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Casey,

Didn't you have the same issues with your .257 Roy?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
So if your Smith is right just throw every 3rd shell over your shoulder that should cure things. Then take the over the shoulder bunch and shoot you a group with those. His theory should have them just a zinging. wink

2" groups @ 700 because it's Bergers? That dude is special.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Have your smith check the bedding with a dial indicator to rule it out,!

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Greg,

Kind of. Inconsistent, but not two in one out. A new crown and now it's shooting really well. Last group was 5 under an inch.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,603
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.