-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
K
Got lucky and drew a area 58 bull tag, Wyoming.

My daughter and I are driving out in early October for an antelope hunt north of Casper then up to Cody. She uses a Browning in a 260 Rem. with a 140 Nosler Partition. I'm taking 2 guns, LH Rem. 700 in 270, 150gr. Nosler partition, and a Ruger#1 in 7mm STW with a 160gr. Nosler partition.

Not packed but have assembled a pretty good pile of gear. Still working on perfecting the load for the 7mm.

We will be going in with horses.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My wife Eileen and I drew antlerless tags in our favorite area, about a half-hour's drive from our house. In addition to our OTC tags, this means either of us can legally shoot any elk we see except a spike bull.

Our elk-hunting plan is to take either a medium-sized cow or a raghorn, but such plans have a way of changing in the field. A couple years ago I planned to take the first legal bull that appeared in rifle range, hoping for a tasty raghorn, but the first bull turned out to be a decent 6x6. He's quite edible, especially when Eileen does the cooking, but hoping for something a little more so this year.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Get up @ 3AM, drive +/-15 mi., walk up hill 4 1/2mi. w/ either the 7x61 S&H w/175gr. Speer GS's or my beloved basketweave 760 in 35 Whelen w/ 250gr. NP. Watch the sun rise. Shoot a legal bull, take a nap! Walk back to truck & gloat w/friends. Go home & get horse & mule for the real work. What's no to like. Looking forward to another hunting season w/elkchsr & his uncle whom I've hunted w/for 37 yrs.
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NM U34 archery on Sept 13th! Gettin close, ready and raring to go.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be elk hunting on the Powder River in Wyoming this October.
Have hunted there a number of times and very much looking forward to it.

I'll bring my ULA 30-06(165 AB's) and Ruger #1 300 H&H(180 AB's).
Both have worked very well in the past. I use the 30-06 when hiking around and the 300H&H when taking a stand.

Right now I'm getting ready to get ready for the hunt.

Steve

Last edited by 7x57STEVE; 08/17/14.
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a muzzle loader tag for New Mexico unit 15, late October.
I have plans and back up plans.
My experience has been, once you get there, local conditions and weather can alter your plans, or even throw them out the window.

I have a muzzle loader that drives tacks, and a load the kills elk.
I have topo maps covering several �likely� areas.
I have boots, a day pack and a frame pack, camping gear and a 4 wheel drive.
I have a partner (my brother). He doesn�t hunt, but likes to come along for the adventure. He�s fired up and ready to go.

MOLON LABE
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm lucky enough to live in Colorado. I have an either sex archery tag for area 421 (Colbran) and we leave on Sept 12 (since I also hunt with friends that muzzleload). I also have a cow tag for first rifle season in area 23 / 24 Meeker.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We are leaving to hunt the Crazy Mountains in Montana in early November. My buddy has never hunted elk and I haven't since'90. We are working hard at getting into shape and breaking in boots. I am working up loads, he has a savage 300 win mag and I am taking one of my model 70's. I am waiting for Redneck to finish working his magic on them then I will decide which will be my primary and which will be back up. One is a .308 featherweight and one is a synthetic stock 7mm RM. I took my only elk with the featherweight, but I like the durability of the 7mm.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Hopefully he has a pack frame and splits gas. My brothers don't hunt,I should invite them along sometime. Dinner and a cocktail waiting at the end of the day would be nice.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
He hooked us up this a buddy of his with horses.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by kalinga
Got lucky and drew a area 58 bull tag, Wyoming.

My daughter and I are driving out in early October for an antelope hunt north of Casper then up to Cody. She uses a Browning in a 260 Rem. with a 140 Nosler Partition. I'm taking 2 guns, LH Rem. 700 in 270, 150gr. Nosler partition, and a Ruger#1 in 7mm STW with a 160gr. Nosler partition.

Not packed but have assembled a pretty good pile of gear. Still working on perfecting the load for the 7mm.

We will be going in with horses.

You have the bullets figured out anyway! I will be hunting south of you for cows in December. Just remember that country is grizzly central.

Last edited by sbhooper; 08/17/14.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Drew area 19 in Wyoming, season opens Oct. 1st. I'll hopefully get there at least a couple of days before the opener to look around. I've spent some time here but this will be my first elk hunt in Wyoming. Diy, by myself, pulling my 17' utility trailer to camp in, no sense in pitching the wall tent just for myself.

The rifles will be two Rem 700's, an AWR in .338wm with 210 TTSX's and a .308 mtn rifle with 168 TTSX's. It's going to be here before we know it. Good luck to all on your hunt and coming and going!

Golden............
F
F
Going to Colorado gmu 54 for 2nd rifle. Lots of great info and advice on this site. Thank you to all that have shared their vast knowledge.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I dunno. I have a week off but I haven't bought the tag. The last 2-3 times I went to do this hunt the people I was going with left me kind of hung out to dry. It's not a whole lot of fun by myself. I'm tired of getting all jacked up to go then getting let down. At the same time it's "their" spot in the sense they showed it to me so I don't feel right about bringing someone else there.

Elk hunting is kinda [bleep]ed. I'd like to kill one with a handgun, kill one with a muzzleloader, then quit and go do something else.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heading up to 15 by Kremmling for 2nd rifle. Just picked up a 1980 Marlin 444 for the trees to go along with my Tikka 270WSM. Going with a buddy I met here on the fire and a family member and his son. I've got a cow tag and will probably pick up an OTC bull tag as well.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I dunno. I have a week off but I haven't bought the tag. The last 2-3 times I went to do this hunt the people I was going with left me kind of hung out to dry. It's not a whole lot of fun by myself. I'm tired of getting all jacked up to go then getting let down. At the same time it's "their" spot in the sense they showed it to me so I don't feel right about bringing someone else there.

Elk hunting is kinda [bleep]ed. I'd like to kill one with a handgun, kill one with a muzzleloader, then quit and go do something else.

Tom

Tom, I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes it takes years to find the right elk hunting partner. I realize you can do this on your own, but it's nice to have a committed partner that won't let you down. I've given up on 2 of my best friends because they can't be counted on and hunt with my ex-boss of all people. He's had partners in the past let him down, and so have I. You know the excuses: Well, I can't hunt this year because my wife wants to go to Mexico. Can't hunt this year because it's daddy daughter week at college, can't hunt this year because my dog died. My horse broke his leg...Blah blah blah... I do a lot better without all the drama. When it's time to go elk hunting, there's nothing that's going to stop me. Plain and fn simple...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not really elk, but heading to Scotland in early October for red stag. I'm really looking forward to this trip. I will be using a pre-64 model 70 in either 300 H&H or 338 Win Mag-haven't decided yet. Bullet will be a TSX.

Who is John Galt?
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Pennies from heaven! Great hook up. Now if my wife would let me take our horses hunting.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm counting down the hours to get on my plan on 8 october. I'll be enroute to New Mexico to hunt Unit 16D on October 11th.

First Rifle hunt. The Bull's should still be bugeling.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sometimes it takes years to find the right elk hunting partner.

Indeed. And sometimes things that did work stop working. It's not anyone's fault. life circumstances change. I don't mind that he went to wyoming antelope or mule deer hunting with other friends and I sure don't mind that he took his daughter elk hunting instead in another unit.

The part that I do mind is that in both cases he knew well in advance that he had other plans and didn't bother to tell me. I found out both times when I arrived at an empty elk camp 3+ hours drive from home without the gear necessary to do the hunt solo.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.