Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
super T Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
It's that time of year for me, the time when the excitement of anticipation begins to set in. I've got my tags, got my rifle(s) sighted in, ammo loaded, packed and repacked my hunting gear and clothes, have had and am having endless conversations with my son and brothers about this years tactics and strategies. One would think at my age(71 almost 72) and because I killed my fist BG at the age of 11 I would I'd begin to settle down a little. Not happening. Who else out there has plans? Please give details it helps my condition/affliction BTW I'll be hunting a northern Utah CWMU, have a buck deer tag, and a bull elk tag. Hunt starts Sept.20th

BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am headed to Colorado for a muzzleloading hunt on September 10th. However, I get to fly up for 4 days next week for some R&R with a little scouting and a little fishing (now that the big game license comes with a fishing license!)

Heading to the Glenwood Springs area. Hope they are already bugling!

I have a bull muzzleloading tag. Biggest decision I have to make is whether or not to add a buck tag to my hunt as I have some friends with a buck voucher.

Venor ergo sum
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I fly out in 28 days, headed to northern Utah for bull elk.

The first of many for me: first guided bull elk trip (I've gone on a cow elk hunt before), first time flying to a hunt, and hopefully the first time I kill a bull elk. I've killed some cows, had a chance at a couple of rag horns and a fork horn bull, but I've never seen a bull worth shooting.

I'm quite looking forward to it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First time for me! Hunting with a good friend in ID. And the icing on the cake is my pops is accompanying.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
New Mexico!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've got a bull elk hunt in Wyoming in 6 weeks and can hardly wait. Then headed to New Mexico for a cow hunt in December. Fill in between with some doves, ducks, quail and pheasants. Should be a good year.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm champing at the bit, but my season starts about a month after yours. I've got a plan in place, but the gear is far from ready. I know where I will be opening morning, and what kind of shots I'll be likely to have, if the elk cooperate. Hey elk, cooperate!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1st Rifle in Colorado with my Son and Son-in-Law. Hard to believe it's less than 2 months away with the temperatures they're forecasting for next week here. Been playing with a new to me 308 and it's hard to keep the barrel cool!

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Will be hunting deer in unit 54 second season. Will be camping with a friend.

Then hunting elk in same unit during 3rd season. Wish I had a companion but it looks like I'll be hunting alone.

Drew an Arizona Coues deer tag and opening day is on November 7, so I'll have to leave elk hunting early.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Got a general season bull tag for here in the Northern part of Idaho. It opens Oct 10. I'm really looking forward to my wifes moose hunt Oct 1-14. The month of September will be spent, hopefully camping in the moose unit and killing grouse with my little ones looking for mama's moose. Summer is nice, but autumn is AWESOME!!!

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Day 1 of my elk hunt is 28 days from today.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yep, & they're mighty good ones!

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I thought I was the only one that was already packed with rifle sighted in and bullets loaded. Will be in Colorado, Unit 12, 3rd season Elk. Have both a Cow and Bull tag. Will be using an outfitter for the first time in several years, J Bar H Outfitters, but normally do DIY. Good hunting to all.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have about 3 weeks+ to leave for a ML hunt. I have been doing some packing, but still need to shoe the mules, change tires to snow /mud on the truck, put the camper on, buy food and various other task.

After that I have an either sex tag for elk for the 2nd season.

18 days total of actual hunting and 27 days in the field counting travel. we usually go up three days before season and come home the day after season closes.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I got a cow ML tag this year, didn't draw my 1st choice. I've been shoeing myself, and fitting myself with a packbag grin

I'll go up the Wednesday or Thursday before the season, I'd go earlier if work didn't interfere.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunting elk in two different states in two different months. Unexpectedly drew a tag. So, lots of travel and $$ since I live too far from elk country. My wife gets that is part of the price of my sanity since we moved. Stoked for this fall.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Drew an archery bull tag in a unit a few miles from my house. Starts in 2 weeks. Unfortunately highs in the 90's. Seeing some decent bulls on my cams but all nocturnal movement. Praying for weather to cool down.

In October over to ID for another tag.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pointer
Hunting elk in two different states in two different months. Unexpectedly drew a tag. So, lots of travel and $$ since I live too far from elk country. My wife gets that is part of the price of my sanity since we moved. Stoked for this fall.

Good luck Pointer! Still carrying your .338?

I'm headed to ID once again.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm looking forward to the coming season but I'm dealing with serious back pain. I've got a first season cow tag near Gunnison and 4th season bull tag in the Sangres. Also 2 deer tags and a ewe tag.

I've gone middle-age crazy doing all those things to try to give the finger to the reaper and deny my own reality - bought an ATV, begging the Dr. to shoot me full of cortizone before the hunts, wondering if I can accept the role of camp cook and wondering if the guys will accept me in that role, practicing long shots, rented a horse for one hunt.

Every day they put me in traction and stretch me and it is helping. Wish me luck.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Have a general and late season tag.. Oct. will be the opener, but doubt I bother with elk until Nov. Oct. will be devoted to a moose trip..

Molon Labe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Every day they put me in traction and stretch me and it is helping. Wish me luck.

Good luck, with the back and the elk!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got a Cow and Deer tag for 36 2nd season, will pick up a OTC bull Tag later.
This may be my last general season hunt, thinking of going to muzzle loaders to get into warmer weather.
Cold and snow just about have me whipped
Age sucks.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Six of us heading into the Wind River Range in Unit 97 for Wyoming's first rifle hunt. Twelve miles in on horseback to a wilderness camp for a 6 day hunt.

Looking forward to it!

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good luck Don. You left out the good juicy parts like what rifle/load you will be using laugh wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Of course I have plans. Same as every year: Going with my ex-boss to the same place as usual. Just right outside his back door. His house borders the national forest. We'll both be packing 338 win mags loaded with some kind of 250gr. pill. Don't worry, we both know how to use them and don't "overthink" the rifle/load bit. Our main concern is dragging them out of the woods after they are down. This may take chainsaw winches and a lot of rope and carts and pack frames but hey that's elk hunting. As far as my clothes, boots and packs, they are always ready and so are the rifles. Just throw and go as far as that chit is concerned. Good luck to everyone going elk hunting this year and be safe....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It has been 18 years since I hunted in the Selway Wilderness so it is long overdue. Started out with 4 guys committed in February now just two of us.

I am taking my big gun again...7x57 Mauser and 160 grain Nosler Partitions.

Good luck everyone.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by roundoak
Started out with 4 guys committed in February now just two of us.

That's why I always hunt with my ex-boss. He's always there and very dependable. We've been hunting together for 10 years now and even though we don't work together anymore, when we see each other it's like no time has passed. Good to have a hunting partner you can depend on.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Have a cow tag for fort peck then over thanksgiving the fianc� and I will be heading for the Crazy Moutains.

M
M
Hit the lottery after 30 some years of applying for either sex tag in the Misourri Breaks. 14 year old grandson also drew an either sex tag in the same area. My son, 2 grandsons and myself also drew cow tags in the same area, 6 tags total? Go figure after that many years??? Oldest grandson shooting his 300RUM with 180GR Accubonds, Son's useing his 300 RUM with 180 Lost River Ballistics. The younger granson (much smaller than his big brother)and being his first year of hunting will be packing a 308 woth 165 gr TSX's. I'm probably takin' my old reliable '06 w/180gr TSX's or maybe use the 30/378 with 200gr Accubonds. Even though this will probably be my last elk hunt because of health and age I'm really stoked about getting the boys into elk. I hunted this area with bow for 15 years before they put it into a draw area so I'm sure some of the old hidey holes will still have elk hanging around.

Mt_Shooter
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
New Mexico archery Elk 16A first hunt .Thought I was going to cancel for health reasons . Buddies scouting and sends photos and rejuvenates me. The worst day elk hunting has to be better than the best day working.Ready.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by sidepass
New Mexico archery Elk 16A first hunt .Thought I was going to cancel for health reasons . Buddies scouting and sends photos and rejuvenates me. The worst day elk hunting has to be better than the best day working.Ready.

Great hunt.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Good luck Don. You left out the good juicy parts like what rifle/load you will be using laugh wink

Thanks Lawrence,

I will probably be taking my Kimber Montana in 300 WSM, with 180 gr TTSX, but I could end up with a Rem 700 in .338 WM, with 210 gr TSX. confused

So many rifles...so little time. crazy

Good luck to you, as well.

Don

Last edited by donsm70; 08/16/14.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. Like someone else said, the hardest part is finding them. The unit I hunt has a 3% success rate, but I always go in with a good attitude...

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Beings I can see the mountains of Area 36 from my house and Did Not draw an area 35 tag (which I can also see from the house) I guess 36 it is again, May the weather stay warm and dry til November......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by donsm70
Six of us heading into the Wind River Range in Unit 97 for Wyoming's first rifle hunt. Twelve miles in on horseback to a wilderness camp for a 6 day hunt.

Looking forward to it!

donsm70
There is Grizzs down that far so keep an eye out and Good Luck!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Originally Posted by donsm70

Looking forward to it!

donsm70
There is Grizzs down that far so keep an eye out and Good Luck!

We've been there the last two years and haven't seen one yet, but we will watch for them.

Thanks. Don

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Just a late season cow hunt for me again this year to fill the freezer since I didn't draw again this year...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leaving on the 18th of September for Gunnison, CO. Heading to unit 54.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
North Eastern Oregon any bull tag and a deer tag next unit over. taking my daughter for both hunts... it will be her second year.. she's not hunting but loves to be out there. next year she will be carrying.

Last edited by Dre; 08/16/14.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Goin' elk hunting this November. The boy drew his AZ U10 late rifle tag we've been putting him in for the past 8 years.

Have spent the last month looking at maps, handloading, buying chit I "need" wink , getting packs together, truck cleaned out, organized, and loaded up.

Spent the last 6 months getting in shape. Can't say that had everything to do with my son's elk hunt, as I started getting in shape before we knew he drew his tag. BUT, was due to my nephew's elk hunt last year I helped out on. Got my azz handed to me on that hunt, and decided it would never happen again. Have dropped 38 lb's so far, and plan on dropping the last 13 or so before we head out in November. Damn near in the best shape I've ever been in, with 3 more months to go.

Heading out next week for our first scouting trip. Kid is flying in from Kansas Tuesday. Once we're out, going to get him throwing a couple hundred rounds downrange at the 10" gong out to 500 yards from field positions over the course of the week.

Then I will be heading out over deer season, same unit, as I (and my nephew) drew deer tags for that same unit. My mission during that trip will be primarily scouting locations for the elk hunt, secondly finding a buck for the nephew to hang a tag on, and lastly, should I glass up a nice buck, I'll see if I can hang my tag on it.

Finally, heading out week of Thanksgiving, one week before the boy's elk hunt, to try and locate the bulls in the previous areas we've scouted. Then the season opens day after Thanksgiving.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
K
K
Got lucky and drew a area 58 bull tag, Wyoming.

My daughter and I are driving out in early October for an antelope hunt north of Casper then up to Cody. She uses a Browning in a 260 Rem. with a 140 Nosler Partition. I'm taking 2 guns, LH Rem. 700 in 270, 150gr. Nosler partition, and a Ruger#1 in 7mm STW with a 160gr. Nosler partition.

Not packed but have assembled a pretty good pile of gear. Still working on perfecting the load for the 7mm.

We will be going in with horses.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My wife Eileen and I drew antlerless tags in our favorite area, about a half-hour's drive from our house. In addition to our OTC tags, this means either of us can legally shoot any elk we see except a spike bull.

Our elk-hunting plan is to take either a medium-sized cow or a raghorn, but such plans have a way of changing in the field. A couple years ago I planned to take the first legal bull that appeared in rifle range, hoping for a tasty raghorn, but the first bull turned out to be a decent 6x6. He's quite edible, especially when Eileen does the cooking, but hoping for something a little more so this year.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Get up @ 3AM, drive +/-15 mi., walk up hill 4 1/2mi. w/ either the 7x61 S&H w/175gr. Speer GS's or my beloved basketweave 760 in 35 Whelen w/ 250gr. NP. Watch the sun rise. Shoot a legal bull, take a nap! Walk back to truck & gloat w/friends. Go home & get horse & mule for the real work. What's no to like. Looking forward to another hunting season w/elkchsr & his uncle whom I've hunted w/for 37 yrs.
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NM U34 archery on Sept 13th! Gettin close, ready and raring to go.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be elk hunting on the Powder River in Wyoming this October.
Have hunted there a number of times and very much looking forward to it.

I'll bring my ULA 30-06(165 AB's) and Ruger #1 300 H&H(180 AB's).
Both have worked very well in the past. I use the 30-06 when hiking around and the 300H&H when taking a stand.

Right now I'm getting ready to get ready for the hunt.

Steve

Last edited by 7x57STEVE; 08/17/14.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a muzzle loader tag for New Mexico unit 15, late October.
I have plans and back up plans.
My experience has been, once you get there, local conditions and weather can alter your plans, or even throw them out the window.

I have a muzzle loader that drives tacks, and a load the kills elk.
I have topo maps covering several �likely� areas.
I have boots, a day pack and a frame pack, camping gear and a 4 wheel drive.
I have a partner (my brother). He doesn�t hunt, but likes to come along for the adventure. He�s fired up and ready to go.

MOLON LABE
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm lucky enough to live in Colorado. I have an either sex archery tag for area 421 (Colbran) and we leave on Sept 12 (since I also hunt with friends that muzzleload). I also have a cow tag for first rifle season in area 23 / 24 Meeker.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We are leaving to hunt the Crazy Mountains in Montana in early November. My buddy has never hunted elk and I haven't since'90. We are working hard at getting into shape and breaking in boots. I am working up loads, he has a savage 300 win mag and I am taking one of my model 70's. I am waiting for Redneck to finish working his magic on them then I will decide which will be my primary and which will be back up. One is a .308 featherweight and one is a synthetic stock 7mm RM. I took my only elk with the featherweight, but I like the durability of the 7mm.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Hopefully he has a pack frame and splits gas. My brothers don't hunt,I should invite them along sometime. Dinner and a cocktail waiting at the end of the day would be nice.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
He hooked us up this a buddy of his with horses.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by kalinga

My daughter and I are driving out in early October for an antelope hunt north of Casper then up to Cody. She uses a Browning in a 260 Rem. with a 140 Nosler Partition. I'm taking 2 guns, LH Rem. 700 in 270, 150gr. Nosler partition, and a Ruger#1 in 7mm STW with a 160gr. Nosler partition.

Not packed but have assembled a pretty good pile of gear. Still working on perfecting the load for the 7mm.

You have the bullets figured out anyway! I will be hunting south of you for cows in December. Just remember that country is grizzly central.

Last edited by sbhooper; 08/17/14.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Drew area 19 in Wyoming, season opens Oct. 1st. I'll hopefully get there at least a couple of days before the opener to look around. I've spent some time here but this will be my first elk hunt in Wyoming. Diy, by myself, pulling my 17' utility trailer to camp in, no sense in pitching the wall tent just for myself.

The rifles will be two Rem 700's, an AWR in .338wm with 210 TTSX's and a .308 mtn rifle with 168 TTSX's. It's going to be here before we know it. Good luck to all on your hunt and coming and going!

Golden............
F
F
Going to Colorado gmu 54 for 2nd rifle. Lots of great info and advice on this site. Thank you to all that have shared their vast knowledge.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I dunno. I have a week off but I haven't bought the tag. The last 2-3 times I went to do this hunt the people I was going with left me kind of hung out to dry. It's not a whole lot of fun by myself. I'm tired of getting all jacked up to go then getting let down. At the same time it's "their" spot in the sense they showed it to me so I don't feel right about bringing someone else there.

Elk hunting is kinda [bleep]ed. I'd like to kill one with a handgun, kill one with a muzzleloader, then quit and go do something else.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heading up to 15 by Kremmling for 2nd rifle. Just picked up a 1980 Marlin 444 for the trees to go along with my Tikka 270WSM. Going with a buddy I met here on the fire and a family member and his son. I've got a cow tag and will probably pick up an OTC bull tag as well.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I dunno. I have a week off but I haven't bought the tag. The last 2-3 times I went to do this hunt the people I was going with left me kind of hung out to dry. It's not a whole lot of fun by myself. I'm tired of getting all jacked up to go then getting let down. At the same time it's "their" spot in the sense they showed it to me so I don't feel right about bringing someone else there.

Elk hunting is kinda [bleep]ed. I'd like to kill one with a handgun, kill one with a muzzleloader, then quit and go do something else.

Tom

Tom, I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes it takes years to find the right elk hunting partner. I realize you can do this on your own, but it's nice to have a committed partner that won't let you down. I've given up on 2 of my best friends because they can't be counted on and hunt with my ex-boss of all people. He's had partners in the past let him down, and so have I. You know the excuses: Well, I can't hunt this year because my wife wants to go to Mexico. Can't hunt this year because it's daddy daughter week at college, can't hunt this year because my dog died. My horse broke his leg...Blah blah blah... I do a lot better without all the drama. When it's time to go elk hunting, there's nothing that's going to stop me. Plain and fn simple...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not really elk, but heading to Scotland in early October for red stag. I'm really looking forward to this trip. I will be using a pre-64 model 70 in either 300 H&H or 338 Win Mag-haven't decided yet. Bullet will be a TSX.

Who is John Galt?
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Pennies from heaven! Great hook up. Now if my wife would let me take our horses hunting.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm counting down the hours to get on my plan on 8 october. I'll be enroute to New Mexico to hunt Unit 16D on October 11th.

First Rifle hunt. The Bull's should still be bugeling.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sometimes it takes years to find the right elk hunting partner.

Indeed. And sometimes things that did work stop working. It's not anyone's fault. life circumstances change. I don't mind that he went to wyoming antelope or mule deer hunting with other friends and I sure don't mind that he took his daughter elk hunting instead in another unit.

The part that I do mind is that in both cases he knew well in advance that he had other plans and didn't bother to tell me. I found out both times when I arrived at an empty elk camp 3+ hours drive from home without the gear necessary to do the hunt solo.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
T O M, When my first wife was alive, we hunted together for elk quite often.. But most of my career in elk hunting I have hunted solo.. Not as much fun as a good pal.. But better than not hunting at all. Like you I would like to take three more elk, then go do something FUN and EASY, like hunt birds with my dogs.. That is FUN!!!!

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
MRFUDD, The H & H would be classic!!!!

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mrfudd
Not really elk, but heading to Scotland in early October for red stag. I'm really looking forward to this trip. I will be using a pre-64 model 70 in either 300 H&H or 338 Win Mag-haven't decided yet. Bullet will be a TSX.

Please take a lot of pictures and share the adventure with us. That sounds like a dream hunt to me!!! Mucho cool...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mrfudd

Please take a lot of pictures and share the adventure with us. That sounds like a dream hunt to me!!! Mucho cool...

Without a doubt! Those two rifles are made for that hunt!

Semper Fi
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
One month from today, Utah bull elk.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Really looking forward to the trip. The best part is that the cost is less than a quality elk hunt in the US. I will have a little over $5k in the trip including airfare and lodging, plus I can take multiple stags. I just won't get to bring the meat home.

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like another Solo year, 2nd season Bull. Hunting a very small herd on a very low odds hunt. I'll hunt the Bear zone and hope to fill that tag with Elk as a target of opportunity. Call the Cougar when I cut fresh Track. I have 12 days in a unit that had 22 tag holders last year. And Zero bulls where Reported killed

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Western Wyoming, cow hunt, bull hunt in Oregon, and cows and bull archery in Washington. The first two are rifle hunts.

Last edited by Elkmen; 08/21/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Originally Posted by pointer

Good luck Pointer! Still carrying your .338?

I'm headed to ID once again.
Yep! Only downside is that it seems to be elk repellent! Good luck yourself in ID. Not a whole lot I don't like about that state except that I don't live there... wink

PS- I've got the jones for another spring bear hunt... wink

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Colorado a week from Thursday with two friends. None of us can focus at work, are wrapping up last minute gear checks and just waiting for the clock to strike and hit the road. We are headed to the Durango area and will take it from there. Just tipped a half dozen arrows with fresh 4 blade muzzys, extra camera battery arrived today, gps chip saturday. Cant wait!!

Gun control means hitting your target.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
October 29th I leave for a 5-day hunt on Snake River Ranch, one of Colorado�s RFW (Ranching For Wildlife) ranches. This is a self-guided hunt and there are two area I am specifically interested in. I hunted there before, in 2007, 2010 and 2012 and have taken 4 cows off the ranch. (In 2007 they allowed 2.) son-in-law got his first in 2010 on the ranch. Tags are the same price as for public land but limited to residents only.

If that doesn�t work out I also have a leftover tag for Unit 3, 3rd rifle season. Pretty much a worthless tag if the migration doesn�t come, but I�m counting on an early winter to help things along. Since the two seasons overlap and the areas are close I won�t have to move camp.

For deer I have a Unit 4, 3rd rifle buck tag.

Primary rifle will be the Ruger American .30-06 Dad gave me before he passed away. I haven�t had time to develop loads for it but it seems to like white box Winchester 180g Power Points. Two days ago I had it at the range and sot 3 Federal 180g �Deer Thug� bonded soft points into a 1� group despite high, gusty winds. Velocity wasn't what I wanted, mid-2600�s, but they will get a good look before I make my final decision on ammo.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Still hunting with one of the two partners remaining since I started at age 12. We have sorely missed dad for the last four years. Brother is the only one I can count on to pull his weight, plus some. Just wished the other guys in our group shared the same enthusiasm we do. Have been ready since the first of this month, but we are always on the phone anyway. Our wives are NOT going to be happy when he retires in three years because they will not see us the months of Oct and Nov from then on.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You can find another wife.

A good brother is irreplaceable...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Super T: I will be out in the alpine areas that still have a few Bull Elk come mid-September and early October for some intense enjoyment of fall (archery Elk Hunting) in the high Rockies!
Then I am off to Hunt Antelope come the October Rifle opener and then will hit the hills hard for a trophy Mulie or my friends huge ranch for another dandy Whitetail (this is a guaranteed successful Hunt!) - once the Deer and the Antelope are brought to bag I will again head out for Elk to finish off Montanas long season.
Good luck to you this season and to all, have a safe Hunt.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Archery bull tag for late November here .... should be interesting.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We'll the army is trying real hard to screw up my elk season have 4th season anterless elk and 4th season bull tag whatever walks in front of me first smile. But it looks like I will be in ft [bleep] Irwin for training.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Godogs57
New Mexico!

Yuppers....me too....maybe only a cow hunt but it's still elk hunting!!!!!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
i'm hunting with j bar h outfitters starting 12 sept, muzzle loader. i'm expecting a great hunt. finally had to use my 12 pp's in colorado. best of luck to all this season.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
New mexico unit 15 muzzy hunt!! Can't wait for October!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've got 2 guys in trees stands bow hunting on my property as i type this, either sex, hopin' for a 1/4!-Muddy

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
7 day ad a woke up- hunting around Cranbrook BC

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
I don't have any elk HUNTING plans but I do have an elk HARVEST plan.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Some how a pulled the dream tag here in AZ. Unit 10 early bull sep26. Best part is my oldest daughter is dying to go. I'm more excited about her going and getting into it than anything else. Good hunting to all.

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

When it's time to bury your guns it's time to dig em up.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Spending a week at our bush camp again as is customary, third week of September, OTC either sex tag. Shouldn't have much trouble filling the freezer. I'll also hunt bear and grouse as a bonus if we have early success with the elk. Main priority is getting my guest an elk, he has only been elk hunting twice before. Later in October I will have a lady friend out for antlerless elk, her husband and I will hunt birds maybe shoot a few beavers and help pack out her elk. Should be fun as usual!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 79S
We'll the army is trying real hard to screw up my elk season have 4th season anterless elk and 4th season bull tag whatever walks in front of me first smile. But it looks like I will be in ft [bleep] Irwin for training.

Ft shiithole Irwin indeed. My brother was stuck there during his entire enlistment. That place is as hell-on-earth as it gets.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Planning an elk hunt is kind of like planning on what to do to keep a red headed woman happy- Moon phase, weather and moods can make the most carefully made plans worthy for the crapper.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Royce
Planning an elk hunt is kind of like planning on what to do to keep a red headed woman happy.....

True, in that going in, you know your plan might not work. But you give it your best shot and have fun while you're at it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You are correct, of course, I was just being cynical.
Having the right gear and clothes, a good place to hunt and a back up hunting location in case weather or other hunters force you too change locations, all pay off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No elk hunting for me this year. Can't hunt alone, and can't find anyone to hunt with.

Good luck everyone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think I'll be at work Friday.

This Afternoon Snow. High near 36. East wind 7 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Tonight Snow. Low around 23. East wind 11 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Thursday Snow showers likely, mainly before noon. Mostly cloudy, with a temperature falling to around 22 by 10am. East northeast wind 11 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Thursday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 19. East wind 6 to 8 mph becoming south southeast after midnight.

Friday Sunny, with a high near 43. South southwest wind around 8 mph.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leaving Thursday for the Little Wolf Mountains....got a date with a 360" bull I've seen running around down there...

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Pat, shoot that bow! and Shoot that BULL!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Pat, shoot that bow! and Shoot that BULL!

That bull you killed on Monday has got me fired up!

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Leaving Thursday for the Little Wolf Mountains....got a date with a 360" bull I've seen running around down there...

I predict bad things for that bull... grin

Golden............
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Nice.. This little snap in the weather should get them talking.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
That's what I'm thinkin' too. I might have to skip school Friday and head for the hills.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know my time sheet will be full tomorrow afternoon!

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by SKane
First time for me! Hunting with a good friend in ID. And the icing on the cake is my pops is accompanying.

Good luck Skane!

I've never elk hunted but following a pronghorn hunt with my son who turns 12 on Saturday we're scouting an elk area to which I can return the next several years. Really excited for a very new and exciting experience!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
See you boys out there tomorrow..

Tonight - Mostly clear, with a low around 20. East southeast wind 6 to 9 mph.

Friday - Sunny, with a high near 44. Southwest wind around 10 mph.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by kalinga

I was just looking at this page, Please note that the forest service and game and fish release a lot of unruly Grizzlies at the south end of South Fork Rd. Not to scare you just trying to make you aware they are there, at least for a Little while, just keep an eye out and a clean camp!

Last edited by wyoming260; 09/12/14.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Just saw Pat's bull. UNREAL.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That didn't take long.

Look forward to seeing it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

A little glance.....I've got a few more that are more revealing....grin!

[Linked Image]
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nice...Congrats.

That doesn't look like a Bowtech.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
634 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,818 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.