Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've always hated hearing people say "You don't even have to aim it" in reference to shotguns for defensive work. Thought the pictures might be interesting for some of you.

Ignore the "misses", as these guns were sighted in they were just pulled off the rack and fired. The important thing to notice is the actual pattern itself. The yardage is noted on the top of the target in Sharpie.

All the shots were from two random 870 Police Magnums with rifle sights and IC choke. The loads are Federal's 2.75" 00FlightControl.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/...9-48AE-9F4B-99DA561F33ED_zpswkvdrykk.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/...3-489F-8323-FF82444D76F8_zpsmoultj8m.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/...F-428E-9149-58CE88BC9327_zpsf9dkdhjd.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/...A-4191-B2C9-E1EF4BCC76CD_zpsj6xzz87r.jpg[/img]

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A couple of things really stood out to me.

1-The importance of patterning YOUR shotgun. These two shotguns were identical in every way. But one shot noticeably tighter, starting as short as 10 yards.

2-This Flight Control buckshot is a game changer in my opinion. With a modified choke I'd guess that you could keep all your shot on a torso out to forty yards or more.

3-You BETTER aim. All the way out to ten yards (the longest range most anyone could shoot in their home) all eight pellets stayed in a pattern that could be covered by a playing card. You're essentially shooting a rifle with a 3" wide bullet.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Blue! It looks like at close range an Ar-15 could possibly be a better choice. I worry about 00 buck vs a 62 grain soft point in a house. I almost feel the 62 soft point would be a better choice looking at the shotgun spread.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What next?

An article on how food needs chewed?.....................(wow)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
What next?

Tell us, what was it like to be born with all your knowledge?

I have never shot flight control loads. Looks like I need to do some testing in my 870. Thanks for the write up.

Last edited by CBMJR; 08/16/14.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am now thinking Blue has posted B.S. If you need to really see "the knockdown power" of a shotgun blast check out Resident Evil 3!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh,I've probably shot a smidge.

Do tell,inside 10yds which 12ga loads are the "bad" one's,as fight stopping goes.

Thanks!................(wow)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

This Flight Control buckshot is a game changer in my opinion. With a modified choke I'd guess that you could keep all your shot on a torso out to forty yards or more.

The factory mod barrel with tritium sights is awesome..

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
But all the cool guys say that just the sound of an 870 being racked in the dark is enough to scare anyone away that tends to do you harm.

Does it matter what's loaded (or not) in the spout?

Me

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Common sense and a little savvy,is hard on folks Imaginations.(grin)

Enjoy the notion of a "bad" 12ga load,for unriff-raffing the living room.

FUNNY stuff!..................

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd love to read an article about some guy wasting a burglar with a load of 7's out of a K80.

Me

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What next?

I'm sure more people would love to see the world from your point of view. How ever. i don't know any that can get their head that far up their ass (up-yours)

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You haven't the means,abilities or faculties to begin to keep pace...but "luckily" you've got that "rewarding" Imagination and "all" of it's inherent "satisfactions".

Congratulations?!?.....................(wow)

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You haven't the means,abilities or faculties to begin to keep pace...but "luckily" you've got that "rewarding" Imagination and "all" of it's inherent "satisfactions".

Whatever, princess. Tell the rest of the hobbits hello for me

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Happy Pretend...to you.

Laughing!.................

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buck, Cylinder bore, 10 yards.

[Linked Image]

This ammo has what Hornady calls a "Versatite" wad....it looks like a Flitecontrol wad to me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We call that "Belly Boil"..................(grin)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Whatever, princess. Tell the rest of the hobbits hello for me

Not sure if he's a hobbit or neckbeard. Either way, he will make a nice addition to the ignore list.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Window Lickers are certainly a "rugged" lot.

Sole question is,which one of you is gonna be crowned THE Pretend Queen...as it's one helluva "race"!......................

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,763 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.