Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by atvalaska
if your dough ain't got Semolina flour in it ....u are still at square one ....imo

I'll look for some Semolina when I'm in town tomorrow.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bulk section... .or.. bobs red mill.........

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This is tempting me to try it using my simple bread dough.

Lately I have been making bread in a toaster oven. Mixing flour, a bit of baking soda, salt and Equal (to very slightly sweeten). Then adding milk combined with olive oil, only until the dough is pretty stiff. No bread maker, no rolling, no rising. Just bake immediately at ~450*. Remove when nothing sticks to a toothpick thrust through the crust.

Can't see why this wouldn't work for pizza. Maybe the topping makes it mushy?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by eh76
Have the pizza stones.

Its about time you used it Keith! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
Have the pizza stones.

Its about time you used it Keith! laugh

Oh I have used it but not on home made

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh I have used it but not on home made

A grand tied up in a BGE and Keith is doing frozen pizzas?

Oh! The humanity.

What would DIYguy have to say about this ? grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Who? wink

And Papa Murphy's are freshly made not frozen. However a Freschetta or Digiorno are pretty good cooked outside.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Don't feel bad, I do the store bought pizzas quite often on my Egg! It's still a great taste compared to the inside oven. Don't get me wrong, I love the homemade pies much better but I don't always have the time or patience for them. Usually when I've got some adult beverages in me I get to cravin a pizza on the Egg! It's quick and very much satisfies my hunger. grin

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
K
K
All very helpful info. Been trying different things on my egg for the pizzas and agree that cooking crust on parchment in oven works real well.

Build pizza ingredients and slide it to the preheated stone and enjoy results when cheese is melted completly.

Have tried placing cornmeal on stone under crust but got some scorching from that

silent water runs deep
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also forgot to mention the pizza stone itself. Get a good one! The Pampered Chef ones rarely make it more than a couple of cooks before shattering...ask me how I know. BGE, Primo (which I use) and ceramic grill store sell nice heavy ones. I have also been messing around with a product called the Baking Steel.

I have been happy with it, although you do have to shorten your cooking times. One other plus factor is that it makes an awesome griddle for burgers, breakfast, etc.

Mike

Last edited by BOWHUNR; 08/16/14.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Who? wink

And Papa Murphy's are freshly made not frozen. However a Freschetta or Digiorno are pretty good cooked outside.

OMFG!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
shocked

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Both you can GFY wink

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I've heard that margarine goes good on frozen BGE pizza...just sayin.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Cooked another pie last night with homemade dough, sauce, fresh mozzarella and basil and anchovies. Mm-mm good. Turned out way better than the first time. Could still only get the Egg up to about 550. Maybe I'm not putting enough lump in. How far do you fill these things and can you overfill them? It's a medium size by the way. How hot should thing thing get?

Last edited by troutslayer; 08/18/14.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Something is not right. I can get any of mine to 1000+ degrees with just a level firebox full of charcoal. Make sure the opening in your firebox is lined up with the lower vent opening. Also make sure your charcoal grate is not plugged with small pieces of charcoal. You have to have something restricting the air flow. What kind of lump are you using?

Mike

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
My firebox is lined up with the lower vent opening. I took it apart before I cooked last night and cleaned everything out. All vents cleared. Charcoal grate is clear -- in fact I put a new stainless one from HiQue. I'm using Cowboy lump. Just opened a new bag last night and they were nice big pieces. Just would only go to about 550 with the top vent cap completely off. Can I fill it more than a level firebox full? I'm thinking not enough fuel in a medium.

John Wayne
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can fill it clear to the top of the fire ring if you want, but you shouldn't have to. I have opened the vents on mine many times after a messy low and slow cook to do a clean burn with less than half a fire box full and it still buries the thermometer.

Are you leaving the lid open to get a good fire going before closing it up? Have you checked calibration of your thermometer in boiling water? What are you lighting with? This is bugging the crap out of me.

Mike

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hey, Mike, I have not done a calibration of the thermometer. Maybe I should check that first of all. I'm lighting the charcoal in a charcoal chimney starter over a propane burner on my grill right next to it and then dumping the lump into the Egg. I left the lid open long enough to see that it was burning and crackling etc. Maybe I have to leave the lid open longer. I'll try the calibration thing tonight. It seems to be pretty close just by the ambient temp it reads, but I'll check it with boiling water tonight.

John Wayne
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For high temp cooks like pizza and searing steaks, etc. I leave the lid open until I have a pretty good flame and hot bed of coals going. When I close the lid I really have to watch and control the lower vent so I don't overshoot the temp. I think maybe you're not letting your coals get hot enough. Of course wind and other things can factor in, but mediums have the same size lower vents as larges so that has to be it.

Mike

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,607 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.