Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#9103395 08/16/14
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm preparing for a hunt that I will be truck camping and doing long day hikes to hunt. I'll be out past dark glassing. I thought packing an MRE would be a good idea for dinner in the field.

Any recommendations for who/what to buy MREs? I've at military issued MREs but not the civilian versions.

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've still got some military MRE's that a National Guard member sold me. They work, and, if you like them, use them. Or use the parts you like.
But for quick and easy, Mountain House Meals, assuming you pack a stove to boil water, are faster and simplier. Just make sure you are getting the calores you need. MRE's are great for providing plenty of calores. Freeze dried meals tend to be light on calores. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My hunting group uses MREs. I usually pack one when I know I'm going to be out all day for lunch at some point.

If I'm backpacking in, I go the Mountain House route with a Jet Boil to shave the weight. The wet meals in the MRE add lots of weight when packing 2 meals a day for 3 days, or so. This is where the freeze dried meals come in handy.

Living in CO Springs with the abundant military population, it isn't too hard to find the right connections for your MRE needs.

Good luck!

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I won't be packing a stove or the extra water. Otherwise, I'd just eat Mountain House.

Any recommendations on where to but MREs?

Last edited by brymoore; 08/16/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
eBay unless you have military connections. Possibly Craigslist?

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I don't need military issued MREs. I'm wondering about the civilian issued MREs. Who makes the best tasting, economical, etc. I can find vendors using google, I'm looking for recommendations from someone who has bought them previously.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Bueler?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

brymore:

Military MREs are heavy but very convenient and most of the items are actually edible. The weight is not a factor when they are carried for a day hike but they are too heavy for multi-night backpack trips.

I use to be able to get them from a retired military guy here in Colorado S[rings. They became hard to get when the army cracked down on soldiers taking them and selling them to local civilians. So I tried the civilian equivalent which I bought at a local army surplus store. They were disgusting and couldn't hold a candle to the military version. That was about 15 years ago. Haven't tried the civilian version since.

Last November, I went on a DIY Alaska hunt that lasted a week. One of the guys was active-duty military and he brought MREs for our lunches. They are still OK.

I would be very leery of the civilian copies. Maybe try them a little at a time before committing much $$$.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC #9108783 08/18/14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let me ask my old man. He's tried most of the commercial versions due to his multiple FEMA deployments.

IC B3

KC #9109223 08/18/14
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by KC

brymore:

Military MREs are heavy but very convenient and most of the items are actually edible...

That edible part is debatable on most of the ones I remember (spaghetti, BBQ pork patties omelette with ham,...). I was in abt 20yrs ago, they weren't very good then... Chicken ala King and Chicken Spaghetti were the only ones I would eat. The rest got traded or trashed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use them a lot but I just eat and buy only the main entrees. Just as good cold as hot. I supplement my meal with nuts, dried fruit(apricots, raisins, apples, banana chips, etc). ClifBar or granola bars are usually in my pack too.
I bought lots of them a few years ago for $1 each. The Army Surplus store here in IF sells complete MRE's and entrees only. The entrees are like $2.50. I could get some for you and bring them over if you want but our time is getting short!!!

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My military experience was all C-rats. I've never eaten a military MRE. You wouldn't want a C-rat for a regular meal but they weren't bad if you were far enough from the road...but so was BBQ skunk.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Given the MRE bulk and the weight of the packaging, it's designed to last for years in storage and transit, there are better options out there IMHO.

The chief complaint on the civlian MREs, besides taste, is the heater unit. If the heater unit in the meal is crap, you are eating a cold meal anyway without a secondary heat source. If the heater is working right, and you have to Pack in/Pack out, it will produce heat and odor for quite a while after you have eaten the meal. Just a thought...

It doesn't sound like you plan on being out overnight, just late night. I'd take a Mountain House or similiar, and a small heat source like a JetBoil for water.

C-Rat spaghetti, now there's a memory...

Last edited by AH64guy; 08/19/14.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My military experience was all C-rats. I've never eaten a military MRE. You wouldn't want a C-rat for a regular meal but they weren't bad if you were far enough from the road...but so was BBQ skunk.

Ham and [bleep] (lima beans) yuuuummmm....NOT!

Actually, the best meal I probably ever had was a B-2 unit, spaghetti/fruit/and John Wayne bars. That was because all I'd had for six days was a chicken and one handful of rice.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna

excellent suggestion, and they sell them stripped, so you can pick and choose what you want.
They also have about the best prices on Mountain House meals.

Sam......

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
At $18 a copy through Cabelas, I say screw it and drive into town for a steak!

I use the Optimus and ramen with freeze dried beef or chicken. Sometimes just I re-hydrate Pappy Kershistine beef jerky with ramen noodles for a solid meal of carbs and protein. Soup starter works well too.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Most hikers rely on Knorr type dry meals with a can or foil pack of chicken or tuna.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Most hikers rely on Knorr type dry meals with a can or foil pack of chicken or tuna.

And you know what "most hikers" eat how?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Because he's a tool.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,109
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.