Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i'd argue that the 22LR is the ultimate SHTF gun. you can fit probably 5k rounds in ACU cargo pockets and with a m&p15/22 and a half dozen 25 round mags, you would be a formidable foe. granted you ain't not match for a 223 range wise but i wouldn't want to be within 200 yards of the other end of my 15/22.

My diploma is a DD214
BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Some seem to look at the .22 as an extra loud pellet gun.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
These threads always remind me of one of my tag lines: "Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by derby_dude
These threads always remind me of one of my tag lines: "Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

Took me a while to realize these guys are not joking around. eek

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing wrong with sincerity.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll take my Nylon 66 loaded with CCI Stingers over my Long Bow any day of the week for self defense & hunting.

And I'd take my cheap ass Marlin .22 mag bolt action rifle over both of those in a SHTF scenario.

That being said, I've got plenty 556 ammo for my 3 AR-15's & 5K rounds of 10mm for my Glock 20 if ShiiTT REALLY Hits the Fan.

And if it ever does, Food, Water, & Medicine will be the biggest concerns, IMHO

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by BigNate
I think .22lr ammo is of little use other than plinking at this point. If it really goes to hell, .223,9mm, .40 is all going to be worth more by far.
For getting food I'll use my bow, and won't have a parade of people coming to see what's going on. In fact it would be a quiet defense as well.

A quiet 22 and a brick of ammo will let you all of the above should you find need for it. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MColeman
Not many people function well with a .22 lr in the head.

wink

Sean
B
BigNate Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Anyone that would choose a bow over a .22 for defensive purposes has seen one too many Rambo movies.

I don't advocate choosing it first always, but having had a full conversation with a guy bleeding from two .22lr holes in his chest while waiting for the ambulance I'm not impressed.

Anyone who thinks they are going to head shoot "bad guys" that are interested in taking you out better be practicing an awful lot.

Yes I know the arguement for using a .22lr and yes I have several and some ammo. Overall, I think larger caliber, popular ammo will be more valuable. Not attracting attention to yourself and how well stocked you are would be smart, however it's achieved.

I've not heard of anyone living through being shot with a bow. Then again, most bow shooters only shoot game or targets. Porch monkeys provide a lot of data on the effectiveness of handguns and ammo.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If I have a good .22lr, I can acquire any other gun I need, if necessary.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hi Nate!

Glad to meet ya! I survived getting poked by an arrow many, many years ago. A cautionary note: One may shoot an arrow into the air, but there is a reasonable probability of discovering where it fell to earth.

Kids do the darndest things.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wasn't there a post a while back from a guy that had been there done it in south america or somehwere when the SHTF and was saying how one has to live, how ammo and gold and silver were the only means of bartering, what guns and calibers were best etc, etc...?

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

B
BigNate Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Hi Nate!

Glad to meet ya! I survived getting poked by an arrow many, many years ago. A cautionary note: One may shoot an arrow into the air, but there is a reasonable probability of discovering where it fell to earth.

Kids do the darndest things.

Congrats Dan! I'd like to know the details as I used to play that game as well, but not with broadheads. I do remember someone saying they'd suffered an arrow trough the foot like on the movie with Adam Sandler now, but I was thinking more like a directed hunting arrow.
I have a "dumb" scar on my calf from a target arrow too.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, it weren't a broadhead. About 7-8 years old, long bow and field tips. Hold my coke and watch this!

Straight up it went. I realized it was coming down sort of in my direction. Run! Run! Run! Poked me on the right heel while I was in full stride.

My friends laughed at me. My feelers were hurt but not my foot.

I am..........disturbed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.