Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Does anyone have one in .270 or 7RM and would be willing to measure LOP for me?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
My 7RM is 13.5 inches

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TATELAW
My 7RM is 13.5 inches

Thanks! How thick is the pad? Half inch?

Last edited by RevMike; 08/16/14.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tell me you didn't buy one in .270�...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
No, not to worry. But they sure are nice looking, aren't they. I can pick one up, NIB in .270, but I'd have to have it reamed to .280 or something. And I'd have to have about a half inch more of pad since I'm a long armed bugger. shocked

Last edited by RevMike; 08/16/14.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by TATELAW
My 7RM is 13.5 inches

Thanks! How thick is the pad? Half inch?

Yep. About half inch. Replace it with a Limbsaver or similar and you should be about right.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 270 Ruger Express I have has a LOP of 13 5/8".

The hard rubber butt plate is 1/2" thick.

It weighs 9# 1.5oz. with a 2.5-8 Leu.

[Linked Image]

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Very nice! A one-inch Decelerator would put the LOP right in the comfortable ballpark for me.

Thanks again.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
By the way, any idea what calibers the Express was originally made in? I know .270, .30-06, 7RM, and I'm pretty sure .375 and .416 Rigby. That about it?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No, not to worry. But they sure are nice looking, aren't they. I can pick one up, NIB in .270, but I'd have to have it reamed to .280 or something. And I'd have to have about a half inch more of pad since I'm a long armed bugger. shocked

Rev you need to get that 270 and exercise those demons. Come on in the water is fine wink

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
By the way, any idea what calibers the Express was originally made in? I know .270, .30-06, 7RM, and I'm pretty sure .375 and .416 Rigby. That about it?

There was a 338WM for sale in the classifieds awhile back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MagMarc

Rev you need to get that 270 and exercise those demons. Come on in the water is fine wink

No sense in trying to get the old boy to see the light at this late date. His system likely couldn't stand the shock. Besides, what would the pigs think?

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/17/14.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Ha! Y'all are killin' me! Elk might understand but I'd never hear the end of it from Ingwe. As I said, the first thing I'd have to do is get it rebored to 7x64 or something.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ha! Y'all are killin' me! Elk might understand but I'd never hear the end of it from Ingwe. As I said, the first thing I'd have to do is get it rebored to 7x64 or something.

Don't let Ingwe fool you, he would understand. He may not admit it but would understand grin

Come on in the waters fine wink

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
They're pretty nice and it's tempting.

Too bad it wasn't made in 7x57!

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Just to keep Ingwe happy I did buy a 7x57, but not a 77 Express. Think a Ruger No. 1a will pass muster?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

IIRC, the Express was offered in the 338 Win that Tatelaw mentioned, 270, 30-06 and 7RM you cited plus 300 Win Mag.

.375 and .416 Rigby was offered in the Magnum Rifle, plus .458 Lott.

There could be more.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just to keep Ingwe happy I did buy a 7x57, but not a 77 Express. Think a Ruger No. 1a will pass muster?

Yes..it will�.

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Did someone mention Express.

I'm shooting a Merkel .470 NE,using Paladin's "full power load."

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
This is with a "light load."

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
This is with a "light load."

[Linked Image]

grin

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
My daughter wanted to see what a "light load" would do,so I shoot one.

Here she is after shooting the .470 NE "light load."

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Elk, man that looks tough! Kudos to your daughter!!

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Ingwe, I thought you'd be ok with it. Now I have to scope it. What's on the one you had?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Rev,
I put a Leupold VX 3 1.5X5 on my 1A 7X57.
It's perfect !!!
Mike

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ingwe, I thought you'd be ok with it. Now I have to scope it. What's on the one you had?

Rev: What mike one said! Also a 1-4x Leupy would go good. It begs for a straight objective! Mine had a Leupold straight 2.5

Last edited by ingwe; 08/19/14.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Rev: What mike one said! Also a 1-4x Leupy would go good. It begs for a straight objective! Mine had a Leupold straight 2.5

Funny y'all mention it: that was exactly what I was thinking. The VX3 1.5-5 comes with a German 4 reticle, which I absolutely love. I'm also looking at the 1.5-5 with illuminated German 4 (Firedot 4), but it has a 30mm tube. I wonder if that chubby tube might not have a bit too much bulk.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Leupold 6.5-20x wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Leupold 6.5-20x wink

Yeah, that's exactly what I need for 45 yard shooting!!!! shocked

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,that way you can pick out a tick on the pig and kill it too. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

I'll just get one of those cannons you were shooting and be done with it. That'd knock a pig into next week.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If you can still see Rev,
That cool peep sight that goes right on the factory ring grove works well too.
Might need a taller front sight though.
Nothing more beautiful than a 1A 7X57 without a scope!!
Mike

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

I'll just get one of those cannons you were shooting and be done with it. That'd knock a pig into next week.
Just make sure it's a "light load." grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by mikeone
If you can still see Rev,
That cool peep sight that goes right on the factory ring grove works well too.
Might need a taller front sight though.
Nothing more beautiful than a 1A 7X57 without a scope!!
Mike

Yeah, but that's the problem. One of my favorite rifles for shooting from a tree stand is my 1962 vintage M94. It's short and easy to maneuver around up there. I put on a Williams FP rear and Firesight front, since the pigs generally come out about 5 minutes before pitch-black, but even then my eyes aren't what they used to be. I've thought about just picking up a Marlin 336, since it's the same length of the M94, and putting a 1-4 on it, but for some reason that Ruger kept calling my name.

But you're right about the No 1a looking great "as is." IMHO, any express-style rifle (quarter-rib, barrel band, etc) looks great "as is." But for my hunting, I need something that will give me the edge in extremely low light conditions. That's one of the reasons I like the illuminated reticles. But the Leupold illuminated VX3 has this big hicky on the ocular, and it just doesn't tickle me where I itch. That and it has a 30mm tube, sort of pudgy on a No 1. I guess illuminated reticles can't be made on a 1 inch tube. Not enough room inside, I suppose.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Just make sure it's a "light load." grin

You know, I'll pass. That's just way too much for me. If I shot that twice I'd have a flinch a Daisy BB gun couldn't flinch.

Interesting thing about that: My father cut his teeth on rifles and in the early 1940s the US Army soon discovered that fact. He wore a "sharpshooter" badge all the way into Normandy. His advice to me was pretty simple: "When you pull the trigger, you're going to get thumped. It doesn't make any difference if you flinch all the way to next Sunday, you're going to get thumped. So concentrate on the shot and make the thump count." It's not very scientific but it it's a pretty good example of Midwestern common sense.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,pretty good advice.

By the way,the wife shot it also and now she wants a double rifle in .470 NE. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Whoa!!! Rigby or WR?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I shot a .470 Merkel a few times. It is the only over .40 that I ever cared much for, excepting of course the .450/400

Still, I start turning into a recoil weinie after the .375 H&H

Last edited by ingwe; 08/20/14.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I shot a .470 Merkel a few times. It is the only over .40 that I ever cared much for, excepting of course the .450/500.

What's so special about that one?

Shoot I can become a recoil weenie way before that!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I dunno�but I do know the 416s ( all of them..) I dislike heartily and a .458 Lott is my least favorite thus far�.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I dunno�but I do know the 416s ( all of them..) I dislike heartily and a .458 Lott is my least favorite thus far�.

I figured it was your Corbett connection.

I shot a .416 Weatherby once. Once. I've never been a particularly fast learner, but that one shot was all it took.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
That's the first double rifle I've seen let alone shoot. The recoil for me was not what I expected. The rifle weighed around 11-12 lbs according to the owner.

Ingwe,agree on the .416's those are just too much for me. The only .458 I've shot was the Win mag version and it was enough.

Rev,we are looking at either a Merkel or a Sabatti .470 right now. Most likely a Sabatti as they are a little cheaper,but we will see,there is no hurry. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yeah right. whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Rev,we are looking at either a Merkel or a Sabatti .470 right now. Most likely a Sabatti as they are a little cheaper,but we will see,there is no hurry. wink

But that WR has a second set of barrels in .30-06 for you to shoot!! grin

Seriously, though, did you see the Sabatti on that same site I sent you? Check this out.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Sabatti-Safari-470-NE.cfm?gun_id=100400127

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
That must be a new one. The one I found was a Sabatti .470 going for $5250.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
That's nice! You'll be able to knock the javelina into next week!

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
And Jackrabbits into next month! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
No doubt. Be sure to post some picks when you get it.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I will,but just letting you know,won't be anytime soon. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
10-4.

I told my wife that I'm putting together (in my head) my "retirement rifle." She said, "You haven't even gotten the one you just ordered!"

I'm expecting there's going to be a new Dodge Durango in the driveway before the year is out, and all I'm going to be able to do is smile and say, "That's nice"...through the tears as I watch my retirement rifle drive away.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Rev,I feel your pain.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Is Sabatti an English name? I think not! If we are flying into fantasy island, I'll be toting a English double! I don't like limeys, but they know how to make sporting arms!

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Is Sabatti an English name? I think not! If we are flying into fantasy island, I'll be toting a English double! I don't like limeys, but they know how to make sporting arms!

Now, Ingwe, what did the Limeys ever do to you?

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Most likely,Ingwe forgot. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Most likely,Ingwe forgot. smile

Poor old bugger. They say the mind is the first thing to go.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yeah,it was probably around the mid-to-late 1700's when the Brit's pissed Ingwe off.

Can't blame Ingwe for forgetting though,that was a few years back. grin

Last edited by elkhunternm; 08/20/14.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Yeah,it was probably around the mid-to-late 1700's when the Brit's pissed Ingwe off.

Can't blame Ingwe for forgetting though,that was a few years back. grin

What's Ingwe's last name? He might ought to be careful!!

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Ingwe Adams. Some people were going to name a beer after him,but went with his brother Samuel Adams instead.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Ingwe Adams. Some people were going to name a beer after him,but went with his brother Samuel Adams instead.

Can't blame 'em. It just doesn't sound right ordering an "ice cold Ingwe."

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
laugh That's funny! laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

I FART IN YOUR GENERAL DIRECTION!

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Dang, Ingwe, you're French? cry

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I suggest anyone considering a Sabatti Google it and read on and on and on. I had two for a short time.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
laugh ZING! laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image]

Only if you're talking to The Dude.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]
grin laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,081
Posts18,463,897
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.