Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I've got the seekoutside tent. Freakin' love it! Used it all summer. but... I need smaller and lighter. Budget may be an issue.

Needs to be 3 season and prolly able to with stand some good winds and strong weather. (Ice and snow)

Need to keep my pack at 55-65 lbs... most of that weight is photo gear.

I'm all ears.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sounds like you need a 4 season if you're going to be dealing with strong winds, ice, and snow regularly.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I was looking for the same. Finally settled on the big Agnes slater at 2 lb 9 oz. I used it all summer and will really stretch it this fall. So far strong winds and ice are a no go. It's got some room and very light but will need to be out of the wind. You might try hillebrrg but it's triple the price and weight. Mountain hardware direkt 2 is bombproof for snow ice and wind at 3 pounds but is single wall and a bit cramped. Good luck.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I appreciate the reply's. Not looking at winds and snow regularly but there is always the possibility of it. I don't want to be in a situation where I'm out ad about and worried the tent will be gone when I get back ;-) My project involves high altitude ( above 8000' ) on a regular basis and winds are more of an issue than the snow.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
tarptent double rainbow would fit the bill....and the budget

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Seekoutside has some new tents that would fit the bill perfectly.

In particular, there is their "Beyond Timberline 2" that I'l be getting in a little bit because I won their giveaway for one! Wooohooo!

http://store.seekoutside.com/beyond-timberline-2-bt-2/

[Linked Image]

Seriously, the specs look like their right up your alley: 64" high, 9 foot diameter, multi-configurable like a shaped tarp, only 22 oz, sod skirt, total-tipi mode for snot proofness.

I'm actually a hammock guy most of the time but this little tent has me all excited smile

Last edited by alukban; 08/17/14.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I use the SL-5 for the same application.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I use an REI Quarter Dome T-2. It weighs about 4# without the stuff sack, which I leave at home.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

http://www.rei.com/product/864810/rei-quarter-dome-t2-plus-tent-special-buy

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
KC,
That is an AWESOME tent. I use the T2+ because I am 6'6". By far the best tent I have used in years. There are lighter tents available but for the coin you get a really great piece of gear. Sadly the have discontinued it. Not sure what has replaced it yet.

OP - PICK THIS ONE UP AT A GOOD PRICE WITH CONFIDENCE!

Semper Fi

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Didn't know seekoutside went smaller.. I love the tipi I have not from them and the woodstove application is the cats ass!
However, I am a member of REI and at 4#'s the quarter dome looks nice...

I gotta be at 4 or less....

The wait time on tarptent is a few weeks and that's no go... but their stuff is very nice!

Haverluk... Have you used it in adverse conditions? I'm all ears!

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have been using the T2 Plus for a few years now. It has proved itself especially tough. This is a REAL three season, two man tent. I camp year round and have put it through it's paces hunting and fishing all over the Western US. I brought it with me to Sweden and it has rained or snowed every time I have been out. I haven't got wet yet. Last year on a moose hunting trip I had close to a foot of snow on top with little to no deformation. It has survived insane winds camping above the arctic circle and speed goat trips in WY. It has kept me dry in the incessant rains of Western WA on multi-day winter steelhead trips.

It has very functional and well designed vents to adapt to the conditions. The Plus spec adds 10" length and 3" width over the standard size; this is really nice to have as I am 6'6". Even if I was shorter I would still get the plus. The weight difference is negligible and you have more room.

It's very easy to set up; even in the wind and dark and being exhausted hunting/hiking all day. My wife and I can sleep comfortably and there is two vestibules that hold all our gear. It's a palace when going solo. I also like a subdued color, this tent is grey, tan and olive green. I bought it at REI for $320 plus $30 for the footprint.

The REI footprint is adequate and convenient but I have started using a Tyvek footprint that I cut to give me better coverage in the vestibules in bad weather. I have also swapped out the stakes and guylines for Hilleberg products. That was a weight savings and an upgrade.

Semper Fi

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Awesome thanks!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the 1/4 dome t2 also. Bought it two years ago.
So far so good.

Retired and loving it.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I am trying the big agnes copper spur UL2 for archery elk this year, which may fit your needs. It's a little over 3 lbs.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/copperspurul2

I haven't tried it yet. However, the specs look respectable and I'm believing the online reviews. For a footprint, I will be using tyvek. Down the road, I could lighten it up with carbon poles.

Anyway, just a thought.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't rung mine out yet, but Six Moons Lunar Duo should fit the bill and the weight requirements. The original weighs in at 2.5lbs and the cheaper (heavier fabric) weights in at 3.5lbs.

I'm a big fan of the rei plus tents, too.

Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
5 man 4 season at 3 lbs.
[Linked Image]

mercy triumphs over judgement
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
big agnes. trust me. good stuff. took it sheep hunting NWT last month. its a two man, but only room for one really (like most 2 man tents). my guide liked it so much, he asked if he could buy it off me.

just over 2 lbs.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreekUL2

they might even have a lighter model now. but yeah either way strongly consider Big Agnes brand.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 338WIN
I haven't rung mine out yet, but Six Moons Lunar Duo should fit the bill and the weight requirements. The original weighs in at 2.5lbs and the cheaper (heavier fabric) weights in at 3.5lbs.

I'm a big fan of the rei plus tents, too.

Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo

Their tents are very highly regarded. I like the looks of that one.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bobby7321
big agnes. trust me. good stuff. took it sheep hunting NWT last month. its a two man, but only room for one really (like most 2 man tents). my guide liked it so much, he asked if he could buy it off me.

just over 2 lbs.

they might even have a lighter model now. but yeah either way strongly consider Big Agnes brand.

Turn all of your sprinklers on wide open, set that tent up under them, and let us know how much water winds up on the floor before you complete the setup.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by bobby7321

just over 2 lbs.

Turn all of your sprinklers on wide open, set that tent up under them, and let us know how much water winds up on the floor before you complete the setup.

So very true! Why would anyone bother to drag a tent all the way to the NW Territories to test it on a sheep hunt when you can play in the backyard sprinklers instead!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (10Glocks, 44mc, AlleghenyMountain, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 15 invisible), 1,826 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,693
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.