Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I didn't know they were 3 lug, mostly because I never looked

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What are you looking for? I have a couple of Cooper centerfires and would be hard-pressed to move them along.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a varmint in 204. Nice rifle shoots good
Probbly the reason you don't hear about them it the are kinda boring in the sense they are already a semi custom and usually shoot pretty good.
Even tho my 204 is very accurate I still call BS on their targets they send with the rifles. I have been to cooper factory and they don't even have a shooting range there.
Their rifles are very nice and I would recomend them..

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Probbly the reason you don't hear about them it the are kinda boring in the sense they are already a semi custom and usually shoot pretty good.
Even tho my 204 is very accurate I still call BS on their targets they send with the rifles. I have been to cooper factory and they don't even have a shooting range there.

Perhaps you did not see the range but they have an enclosed range. The old facility only had one shooting lane, the new one has three shooting lanes. I have been in the enclosed range in both the old and the new facility. Yes! They do have a shooting range so please do not post misinformation.

As far calling BS on the targets, each rifle is tested for accuracy standards before it is shipped. The targets are shot with a 36 power scope off of sandbags, not machine rested. Any good shot should be able to duplicate them under good conditions.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My 21 223 gets shot less than any other like chambering in the larder. They are essentially useless,by design.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco

Perhaps you did not see the range but they have an enclosed range. The old facility only had one shooting lane, the new one has three shooting lanes. I have been in the enclosed range in both the old and the new facility. Yes! They do have a shooting range so please do not post misinformation.

As far calling BS on the targets, each rifle is tested for accuracy standards before it is shipped. The targets are shot with a 36 power scope off of sandbags, not machine rested. Any good shot should be able to duplicate them under good conditions.

drover

At fifty yards IIRC.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They'll do the 51 in all stainless, 8" twist and AI. The 51's mag box measures 2.500". They're also sourcing another manufacturer for the synthetic version of the 51.

A 51 Excalibur would be well under 7lbs all up. A stainless 54 Excalibur in 7-08 goes 7 on the nose all up with Talley LW lows and a Leupold 6x.

I measured the chamber of a 51 Classic in 223 at the LGS. The 75 A-Max was into the lands at 2.40. Plenty of room to chase in the 2.5" box...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For the loot,I'd rather Montucky and have something..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Stick,

Given some of the groups I find on the net printed by cooper rifles it's kind of hard to believe they are worthless- my expand just a bit on the why vs. how ya feel about 'em. smile

Guys,
The group in the box thing is a double edge sword, kind of makes you feel god looking at them, I guess it depends how the rifle really shoots.

I just want to hear form people who own them, I haven't heard much on them so it's about time we discuss them.

One consistent thing I do notice, is that most of the people who have them don't seem to let them go too much, which can't be bad.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 08/17/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ergo's suck,materials suck and they'd be amongst the last choices in a Dirty Duty Utility Beater Rifle.

My 21 shoots nicely,but what 223 doesn't?

Pass the Montana's through & through S/S componentry,their killer synthetic handle,they superb balance/handling and bullet proof build quality.

Nothing else begins to compare................

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The all stainless 54 Excalibur is pretty slick. Balance is second to none with a 22" tube.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well they had more room for drastic improvement,than most anyone else.(grin)

What sorta loot are they asking for 'em in the flesh?...............

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They're $1719 here with no "custom options".

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's a Montucky,mounts/rings/Fixed [bleep],dies and well over 1000 bullets.................

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep...but not an 8" twist 243, 8" twist 223 or 8" twist 22-250. The AI's are the same cost in the chamberings mentioned.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For a push in jingle,you could rebarrel the Montucky to the twist/throat of one's choosing and really ring the bell.

Now if Cooper did an all S/S wearing a killer synthetic handle and opted a 3" .473" magbox...they'd rate a whirl..................

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep. They're a push money wise when you go fast twist and punch it. No arguments on the stock, the Montana has superior ergo's.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd greedily grab the Montucky 223,hope it stabilized A-Max and if it didn't,I could suffer Hornie 75 HPBT's...banking the "free" glass,mounts,bullets,etc.

That on ergo's alone.

Buggy's Montucky Dick Rifle is simply absolutely SINISTER and would be the toughest of acts to try and follow.............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To the OP,
Here is mine in 7mm-08.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The pictures are with a VX III 2.5x8 mounted in Talley LW. I have since changed to a 6x36 which brought the weight down to just a hair over 7 lbs. I am not posting group pictures, but no BS about it being able to shoot less than an inch at 100 yds. Easy enough to hit an 8" gong at four hundred just for chits and giggles, which is further than I shoot at game animals anyway. This rifle shoots 120 gr. TTSX and Ballistic Tips equally well as well as 140 gr. Partition and Accubonds. All will go into less than an inch. I haven't tried anything else.

I'm not trying to say that Cooper's are the best out there by any means, but I like mine and know it will do anything I need it to do. I also like the ergs of the Montana's and the way they are made, but you have one opinion here from a happy Cooper owner.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can love the Montana to 1000yds++..................

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (7mm_Loco, 007FJ, Algotguns, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 9 invisible), 1,516 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.