Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good looking rig GWB one shot at a time done right is all you need. But without any blue tape on the barrel the northern contingent 'round here will prolly call you a liar. As I get older I seem to get more out of using things I didn't have when I was young or simply couldn't afford to try then when they cost a hell of a lot more than I could come up with. Don't remember it all back then, but with a 270 or 30 cal bullet in it by old boys who had 1 deer rifle and made it work for everything they shot. It can still be done today. Mag Man

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
10/4 on the blue tape.
A short while after I started posting here, ShortactionSmoker sent me a "WesternHunter" starter pack, along with a mighty fine Ingram. I figure I'd hold that blade hostage here in Texas for a spell.

[Linked Image]

If I wuz hunting in your country, I'd be sportin' tape. It gets so hot here that tape would curl-up-n-dye if wrapped around a rifle barrel. Here a couple years ago where I hunted it rained 1-3/4" in 18 months. No snow. So, I go bare.

Choose to believe it or not, but I've been shooting since I was a little shaver. My dad would buy me one box of 22 longs and 1 box of shotguns shells a month. That ain't a whole lot of ammo when there's thirty days in a month. All my bb's and anything more I had to buy for myself. I started mowing yards at 10 yrs. Bought myself a Daisy pump and shot by point. Started out with my grandfathers model 63 Winchester 22 and a Winchester Model 12 pump shotgun. Later I got to use my dad's Browning Sweet 16. I tell folks that when I was born my folks were so poor that they couldn't afford a name, just initials. Perhaps my earliest memories of having to make every shot count lingers still in my subconscious, as I prolly have as many or more single shot rifles than repeaters.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 08/25/14.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pretty much parallel backgrounds GWB, somewhere along in life a guy quits trying to keep up with the Jones and gets comfortable with the things that have worked for him in the past. Experience has taught us we don't need the latest greatest anything other than more time and money we'd like to have to enjoy what we have. A good place to hunt with good wildlife pops. trumps the hell out of shot out access with the latest greatest new gun on the market. Magnum Man

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trouble is the Jones's are CLUELESS.

One can have his cake and eat it too...but that sure as schit ain't gonna happen in Texas,if only obviously.

Funny how it actually works and yes,I mean FUNNY!...................(hint)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
GWB: Can you explain the diesel/corn mix?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Georgie,

Can you explain Imaginary Pretend Ignore?

Thanks!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Jorge.

No, I can't explain it. I'm not a game biologist or a nutritionist. I will tell you that it works.

We mostly use spin cast feeders.
However we do corn roads and sometimes will bait an area that does not have a feeder.

I was told about it several years back and have tried it several times when I'm baiting an area that doesn't have a feeder or a pig pipe, by pouring it in a pile or in a line. Deer and coons don't seem to like it and it can also be used in traps without the fear of attacting deer. It's not magic, and it helps to be in an area that has hogs.

Have also soaked burlap bags in burnt motor oil/diesel and tied around a tree with tie wire. Hogs like that to rub against. I guess it helps keep the fleas and ticks down.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 08/26/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
GOOD looking fence!

Laughing..............

Our deer actually know how to jump fences, FYI...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks! We have a lot of hogs here in So. GA and I've heard about the diesel/corn mix before but never used it. I'll let you know.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Pretty much parallel backgrounds GWB, somewhere along in life a guy quits trying to keep up with the Jones and gets comfortable with the things that have worked for him in the past. Experience has taught us we don't need the latest greatest anything other than more time and money we'd like to have to enjoy what we have. A good place to hunt with good wildlife pops. trumps the hell out of shot out access with the latest greatest new gun on the market. Magnum Man

Yep.

[Linked Image]

a lowly .270 (although it does have nice wood) not uber-tech-anything. But it is very accurate, and it was very satisfying to drill him through the wing butts at 120 yards. DRT, and no meat damaged.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mighty fine wood on that one. Factory or custom?

I too like a 270. Here is an old push feed Winchester M70,one I bought in the mid nineties for $350. It has a custom Shilen barrel, crowned at 26" and is a shooter. I contiune to load 60 gr. of H-4831 and 130 gr. Ballistic Tips in this one, even though in most I now load Accubonds. One of the ones that won't be sold till I assume room temperature.

[Linked Image]

As to deer and fences. I've seen white-tail bucks clear an 8' fence on a dead run, as I imagine you have. A 4' high fence don't deter them at all.

Best,

GWB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bone stock, as it left the factory in 1976 smile I'm using Reloader 22 under 130 Nosler BT's. It is accurate, and they make 3165 fps out of the 26" #1 barrel.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by Big Stick
GOOD looking fence!

Laughing..............

Our deer actually know how to jump fences, FYI...

That would be cool!..............

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Bone stock, as it left the factory in 1976 smile I'm using Reloader 22 under 130 Nosler BT's. It is accurate, and they make 3165 fps out of the 26" #1 barrel.

[Linked Image]

sweet rifle and load.

Being the milqtoast kinda guy I am I don't always push velocity.

I won't say either I or the rifle can do this every time, but here is where I was checking zero a few seasons ago before I hunted it. I employ a chrono and shoot groups basically for load development. I've been shooting the 60 gr. H-4831/ 130 gr. ballistic tip load for over 10 years. Once I find a load I am happy with, the most important thing to me is first shot out of a cold barrel. Here is an occasion of that. I shot one round, then put the rifle down for an hour or so and shot other rifles. I then shot a second time at the same target, same rest, same distance.........

[Linked Image]

and after a minor adjustment.....

[Linked Image]

I very seldom shoot past 200 and a 3" holdover is not all that hard to accomplish.....

I've since switched to a 200 yd zero.

Best,

GWB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wow!

That is cool too!...............

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So my question is....

If you soak burlap in Red Dye Diesel, and nail it to a tree say 3 feet high, do ya think it would attract Schmuck to rub up against it to keep down all the fleas off of him? and cut down on that Body Oder problem?

Would be interesting to see if he'd like that corn soaked in diesel also..... ya know he's tried it in his corn flakes after reading this thread...just to see what its all about...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shefire,

I'd slap the rubber dick out of your mouth,but you'd just grab it again.

Just saying.

Laughing!................

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nice #1!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Another one that ain't all that hard to handle........

[Linked Image]

T/C Contender in 7-30 waters.

E-Z squeezy.

JAFO

GWB

PS: and a couple of Rick Menefee's fine blades.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by geedubya

[Linked Image]

sweet rifle and load.

Being the milqtoast kinda guy I am I don't always push velocity.

I won't say either I or the rifle can do this every time, but here is where I was checking zero a few seasons ago before I hunted it. I employ a chrono and shoot groups basically for load development. I've been shooting the 60 gr. H-4831/ 130 gr. ballistic tip load for over 10 years. Once I find a load I am happy with, the most important thing to me is first shot out of a cold barrel. Here is an occasion of that. I shot one round, then put the rifle down for an hour or so and shot other rifles. I then shot a second time at the same target, same rest, same distance.........

[Linked Image]

and after a minor adjustment.....

[Linked Image]

I very seldom shoot past 200 and a 3" holdover is not all that hard to accomplish.....

I've since switched to a 200 yd zero.

Best,

GWB

GOOD GOSH!! cool

No excuses for missing with that rifle. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.