Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I haven't used a baitcaster much since I was a kid , but the last couple years I've been doing so again . In my trying a few different models out I have desided I like the Garcia ambassator (spell) style the best, I have a vantage plus 5000c gold in color , question is what is the difference in that reel and like a silver color 5000c or 5500 red color or the other models ?? I know the 6000-6500 are the same but bigger

Last edited by ldholton; 08/17/14.
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From what I can recall, the main differences were in the number of ball bearings used and the ratio of line retrieval.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Methinks if you can get the fish to take the bait, you should land your fair share with a reel costing under $50.
I have.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
The basic concept hasn't changed all that much over the past few years. Bearings are much better, level wind upgrades from bushing to bearings, carbon fiber drag washers, ect. You will find all price ranges from entry level to pro. Quality products don't always catch more fish but are usually more reliable.

Keep your powder dry
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
A new Garcia won't be half the reel an older one from the 70's was. Bearings may have improved, but plastic gears will never be as dependable as metal. Think I've lost count of the Ambassadors I've had blow on dime bright salmon, kinda sucks when your reel goes tits up on a 50# chrome king salmon, or a #15 buck silver as has been the case more than a couple times.

Shimano Calcutta is the answer, spendy yes, ox strong hell yes. If you have to go Garcia at least pay for the Big Game series, they're somewhat stouter if not a Calcutta. Or shop an old red reel on EBay that has been or could be rebuilt with metal innards. Penn's level wind series isn't bad, certainly trumps the Abu lineup, but IMO aren't worth the $$ they sell for.

For bassing or other relatively light duty fishing, the old diawa PMF series is a great reel. I source them from EBay and outfit my ice rods with them, don't have a super fast retrieve speed but they are sturdy and smooth units. Same same for the old Shimano Bantam series. These two can be had for small $$ online and beat newer WalMart offerings all to pieces.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have two Ambassadeur 6500C reels ... one from around 1972 and the second picked up around 1994. These are high-speed retrieve models and both have worked flawlessly. Paired with an 8ft Fenwick graphite rod I've landed Reds, Silvers, and Kings (up to 45lbs) with 15lb mono. They are my "go to" reels for Salmon and Steelhead in the river.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have all abu's made in sweden. Once in 20 years, have replaced a pall. They are a like a warn winch.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
There be the key, "in 20 years", the new stuff on the walmart shelves and at Basspro isn't of the same quality as the red reels of old.

Swedes and the Japanese make good reels, Messicans not so much. Plastic is the answer for cheap prices not durability.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

They (ABU) made some great spinning reels too...

[Linked Image]

The original "red"..

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by TheKid
A new Garcia won't be half the reel an older one from the 70's was. Bearings may have improved, but plastic gears will never be as dependable as metal. Think I've lost count of the Ambassadors I've had blow on dime bright salmon, kinda sucks when your reel goes tits up on a 50# chrome king salmon, or a #15 buck silver as has been the case more than a couple times.

Shimano Calcutta is the answer, spendy yes, ox strong hell yes. If you have to go Garcia at least pay for the Big Game series, they're somewhat stouter if not a Calcutta. Or shop an old red reel on EBay that has been or could be rebuilt with metal innards. Penn's level wind series isn't bad, certainly trumps the Abu lineup, but IMO aren't worth the $$ they sell for.

For bassing or other relatively light duty fishing, the old diawa PMF series is a great reel. I source them from EBay and outfit my ice rods with them, don't have a super fast retrieve speed but they are sturdy and smooth units. Same same for the old Shimano Bantam series. These two can be had for small $$ online and beat newer WalMart offerings all to pieces.
this is interesting , Most of my fiing for these reels will be bass, maybe some catfish and some sport for carp . what year or model did they start plastic gears ??

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Late nineties would be my guess. That's when I lost my old quantum magnum and replaced it with a 5500. I was still down south but was fishing bass and catfish an average of 80 days a year and averaged one rebuild or new reel a season. When I moved to Texoma and got my striper boat the average rose to 2 a year slinging big plugs and tangling with those lively stripers. When I moved to AK 8 years ago I started grenading at least 2 or 3 a season fishing salmon, and have helped doing repairs at a lodge trying to keep the loaner gear running, it's a once a week deal to have one go down on a client when they are fished hard day after day.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Off subject a little but if any of you guys bass fish try and find a old 3600 SM or 3600 BM. AWESOME little reels and they work way better with florocarbon line than the new reels. Way less over run because the wire level wind guide. several companies are making ceramic spool bearing for them too, so you can cast to the moon.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have several "red" 5000s . . . early reels . . . love 'em.

[Linked Image]

Also have a couple vintage Penn's (930 and 940). . . ebay is your friend!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.