-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just got a yellow lab puppy a week ago. This one could very easily be my last pup, but I'll do all I can to see that she isn't. I was out of town and my wife called me and said she thought that it was time for me to get another dog. We had to put down a little beagle a year and a half ago that was a good early warning system for anything going on outside. My wife had found someone that had a litter of yellow lab pups and was giving them away. We went to take a look at them and I came away with the smallest female they had. I never liked a big lab and this one looks like she was going to meet my size requirement. She isn't just smaller than the rest of the pups, she's little. She was the first one to come up to me, so she kind of picked me out too.

Harry
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm helplessly addicted to beagles. Dumber than a box of rocks, stubborn as they come, but they make great pets. We have one now that's not a hunter. I long for the days of running rabbits with hounds. Man, that was some fun hunting.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yorkie

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have had a lot of dogs over the years- north of 30 dogs. We have been without one of our own for about 4 years now. We are babysitting my daughter's yorkie but as far as I'm concerned they are nothing more than an ornament that you have to feed everyday.

The best hunting dog I ever had was a lab. Died at about 5 years so I never got another one. Best overall dog we ever had was a Rhodesian Ridgeback; flat awesome dogs. We were around quite a few of them and raised two litters. Only downside was shed a little too much for her own good.

Someone mentioned a Jagd terrier. Having owned one and been around them, they are NOT good dogs to have for pets. They need a full time job or you will have trouble.

Had a rat terrier- was a pretty good dog. Loved riding on the saddle but the horses hated it!

Had quite a few heelers over the years. Pretty good overall dogs but not really hunters.

I just put a deposit down on a Blue Lacy. Guess Im driving to Texas next month.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Black mouth cur, good all around dog for the homestead,, and I don't bird hunt

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Brittany will be my next one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Mike and TRH smile

These goofy Llewellins are birdy guys who will love you 110%.

(Only 109 1/2% if you miss two birds in a row, however wink )

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good enough for Vikings and they work for me:

[Linked Image]

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We have a GSP bitch, she's nice but I do miss our Border Collie. Smart as.

Cheers, Chris

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by klondike_mike

This has got to be the greatest hunting photo ever...

[Linked Image]

Sorry Mr. Safari but, if I only had time for one more dog I'd steal one of yours. Those are some beautiful Llewellins.

I agree, awesome photo!

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
English setter, love 'em.

Hang on to your memories; they're better than the real thing ever was - Joe Sherlock

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good post,
For me, it'll be a black lab. I had a yellow, Kelsey, that was my best pal. I think she was my once in a lifetime dog. She was just so GD cool. I had to put her down at 13. It broke my heart. My son and his GF had a Chocolate lab, and when they broke up, we inherited Reilly. Reilly got cancer, and he was put down at 7. I want to round out the lab breed and get a black. Love that strain. Intelligent obedidient, and loyal.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here is Sparkey in his prime figuring out how to get a ground squirrel out of a crack. It took him three hours before he got it. He's a tall thin Jack Russell and can run circles round the stubby Jacks. He's 13 now and a little deaf but a great companion.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have had so many over the years, A Doberman for sure DD (Dober Dog, Dam Dog etc) was loyal to a fault knew the yard, knew exactly how far a squirrel could get from a tree. Golden Retriever loving to the end and still a puppy at 12+. Current dog is about the best one I've had, a BRT Black Russian Terrier not what you think, look one up on the web. Obedient loyal and I would not want to be the one who breaks into the house. Funny thing about them is they have little prey drive, they do not chase things, they wait until it crosses the line. If it moves off then no issue, The warning barks get louder and deeper as something approaches. At 90+ pounds my runt Layla is still rather impressive.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't even know for sure what my best dog WAS!!! Part Shepherd, some Rottweiler...who knows? Best darn dog I ever saw. Couldn't hunt at all. Retrieve? Nope. Just a great soul.[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Always wanted a JRT or a Feist

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Here is Sparkey in his prime figuring out how to get a ground squirrel out of a crack. It took him three hours before he got it. He's a tall thin Jack Russell and can run circles round the stubby Jacks. He's 13 now and a little deaf but a great companion.

[Linked Image]

Where do you get a JRT like that??

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not recommended, but my wife has left here purse and keys in her unlocked car over night in the driveway, and everything was there in the morning.

We do that all the time and I live in a higher crime, lower income area. But this is South Texas.

Anyways for dogs, I'm sold on heelers, but I like heeler/sheepdog mutts even better. That's one in my avatar, a great dog. Here's another one, a heeler/Australian shepherd mutt my sister owns. Damn near a perfect dog cool

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BeanMan

[Linked Image]

He looks like part rat terrier, as well as Jackie. GREAT PHOTO!

Probably the smartest dog I ever encountered was over in the central CA eastern side Coast Range. I was pig hunting and met up with Jake, 1/2 & 1/2 Jackie/Rat. The dog seemingly understood several languages. I still bet he could write his name and count.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 48 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,490
Posts18,452,094
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.