Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think "ocular" is the "objective" of discourse here....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I think "ocular" is the "objective" of discourse here....

Exactly. Which has nothing to do with 56mm vs. 40mm mentioned earlier.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You'll need a chalkboard and an abacus to get it through...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mathman
Which has nothing to do with the objective.

But has everything to do with a low lift bolt vs a high lift bolt on a scope with Big Objective and Big Ocular.. Do you now understand?

Even with a smaller ocular and a larger objective you still have more room working the bolt.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

But has everything to do with a low lift bolt vs a high lift bolt on a scope with Big Objective and Big Ocular.. Do you now understand?

I understood a long time ago, having used a variety of scopes and rifles. The objective diameter has nothing to do with bolt lift.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Steelhead
You'll need a chalkboard and an abacus to get it through...

Hey Gator lover GFY

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I understood a long time ago, having used a variety of scopes and rifles. The objective diameter has nothing to do with bolt lift.

Almost forgot to ask, has a 90-degree bolt throw ever been a problem for you? Have you ever missed a shot because of the extra 20-30 degrees you had to throw the bolt?

THis is what I was answering and why I like short lift bolts

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Even with a smaller ocular and a larger objective you still have more room working the bolt.

The force is strong with this one....

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Like I said before most Quality Euro BIG Objective Scopes have big oculars needing either a higher ring height or a lower bolt lift. You can usually get a more useable sight picture with a lower bolt lift. Contact Talley Rings if you dispute that.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Never had a problem with either type.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Steelhead

The force is strong with this one....

STick to what you know which is minimal

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Because you never used them , if you had you would have a problem even opening the bolt.

Name rifles and scopes in question?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Because you never used them , if you had you would have a problem even opening the bolt.

This is the question I was answering:

Almost forgot to ask, has a 90-degree bolt throw ever been a problem for you? Have you ever missed a shot because of the extra 20-30 degrees you had to throw the bolt?

You asked about missing a shot because of an extra 30 degrees of bolt lift. I have not missed any shots because of whatever amount of bolt lift was involved at the time.

Now if you're asking have I missed a shot because I couldn't open the bolt because it hit the scope, that's a silly question. Whatever the scope, whatever the rifle, I mount the scope so the bolt is operable.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

You asked about missing a shot because of an extra 30 degrees of bolt lift. I have not missed any shots because of whatever amount of bolt lift was involved at the time.

Now if you're asking have I missed a shot because I couldn't open the bolt because it hit the scope, that's a silly question. Whatever the scope, whatever the rifle, I mount the scope so the bolt is operable.

My argument is there is a very valid reason for rifles with short bolt lifts. I pointed them out. Done with this discussion

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never had a bolt hit the scope, no matter how it was mounted. Winchester, Ruger, Remington rifles.

I assume there's a dumbassed way to do it so they would hit, just that my brain doesn't have a low enough gear to come across that as a viable mounting option.

I also cycle my action cup and ball, I don't grip the bolt like I'm holding onto a stick, it simply pivots around in the palm/,meat of my hand.

Me

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

My argument is there is a very valid reason for rifles with short bolt lifts. I pointed them out. Done with this discussion

Yea, short bolt lifts help when you have a 56mm objective. [bleep] this place is funny

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Here's an even money bet, they guy that invented the shorter bolt left so he wouldn't miss on game and can now mount a scope with a 56mm objective wears these too...

[Linked Image]

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I feel like a pariah with my MkV 30-06.

The weatherby snobs shun me cause its not a magnum.

Most everyone else because its a MkV.

The rest because its left handed.

It's a good thing it shoots. (But I did have to take off the speed bump and bed it. Temperamental thing.)

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
IIRC some Mark Vs in .30-06 can be worth a TON of money�..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah, I'm all about future value.... laugh

The biggest reason I got it was the deal at the time (it didn't have a bolt, and was unfired. I think it was made when I graduated high school or before.)

And it was left handed.

Pure luck that the WBY factory had a left hand 9 lug 473 LA bolt lying around to toss in there - for basically labor charges only. Seems they didn't really need it stinking up the shelves.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (01Foreman400, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 72 invisible), 3,024 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,259
Posts18,467,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.