Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Agreed, depends on the Mark V, age, location of build, condition, condition, condition...

With hunting season approaching, there's bound to be an elk hunter in search of a caliber problem surfing the web for the
"ideal" uber shooter.

Pretty the factory accuracy garentee is the same for both rifles.

I like the Mark V, but either one would do. Mark Vs "usually" hold better value over time.

Last edited by AH64guy; 08/19/14.
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Here's an even money bet, they guy that invented the shorter bolt left so he wouldn't miss on game and can now mount a scope with a 56mm objective wears these too...

[Linked Image]

don't be dissin them kicks now, I'd pimp those anywhere.

not that it's relative to anything, but I've got a Steyr PH with the short(er) 70 deg "SBS" bolt throw. using a 2-7x leupold (bout the smallest ocular in existence), I have to use medium warnes to get the bolt to clear the ocular, due the shape of the handle. so yeah, as far as I can tell the degree of bolt throw means next to jack squat in terms of whether it will clear your scope.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rusty75
Locally I can pick up a vanguard 2 synthetic or mark v synthetic, both in 300 wby for $499. Which is the better gun at same price point?
Both are 24" barrel.
Thanks

I've had a Vanguard S2 that is now owned by a good friend. Great rifle, well built, and accurate. I've never owned a MkV to compare it to. That being said, I've rarely seen a MkV that could be bought for within $2-300 of the same thing in a Vanguard. For value at the same price point, I'd go MkV every day.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Here's an even money bet, they guy that invented the shorter bolt left so he wouldn't miss on game and can now mount a scope with a 56mm objective wears these too...

[Linked Image]

You need to just shut up and take notes. I've learned a ton on this thread:

-90 degree bolt lift is a huge problem requiring re-engineering of the "standard" bolt action. Mauser was a putz, in other words. And everyone who copied him.

-Winchester never made a push feed action

-Ruger American is a custom rifle maker

-No custom rifle makers use their own actions.

I'm going to get lunch, but I expect there'll be even more heretofore unbeknownst facts here when I get back.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by smokepole
I don't give a [bleep] about custom rifle builders, none of them use their own actions......

Wrong again. But keep going, you're batting a thousand.

10000 Ruger Americans will be sold for every custom rifle ...

So what. 10,000 people watch "Honey Boo Boo" on TV for every one that reads an actual newspaper.

But if you want to play that game, let's give it a whirl. We'll start with just Ruger, since you mentioned Ruger American Rifles. How many 2-lug bolts do you reckon Ruger has sold, vs. 3-luggers?

Now let's look at all major gun manufacturers combined, same question, how many 2-luggers vs. 3-luggers?

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Kenny Jarrett Actions are 3 lug

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by gunner500
Buy the MK-5 then sell it and go buy a Vanguard and a good piece of glass.

This.

PT Barnum always did love PA and TN; you'll have no problem finding a pigeon...

Rah-Jah, I know an old man that would buy a clean MK-V from me in a heartbeat. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Got those in a 13EEE?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just my own opinion, but I have had a Rem. 700 BDL in .300 WM for 27 years, and I love it. I also have a Vanguard in .243 Win, which also is a really fine-shooting rifle and functions great. But I bought my first MkV in 2009. I have bought two more bolt actions since then, and they also were both Mk Vs. They're just better to me. To me--it's all in what you like. I have a 7mm Ultra Lightweight that weighs 6-3/4 lbs (not counting scoping) and a .375 Wby DGR that weighs a lot more. I also have a .340 Wby Accumark that is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. I just shot it yesterday, and it always amazes me. The 9-lug design is more difficult to manufacture well and expensive. But it requires a lot less movement to cycle and is so smooth when doing so. Not necessary to be sure, but I like it a lot better than any other bolt I have shot. Just my own preference.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

This.

Rah-Jah, I know an old man that would buy a clean MK-V from me in a heartbeat. smile

You rang, sir? smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by grumpy7904
Kenny Jarrett Actions are 3 lug

shhhhhh.....

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

[Linked Image]

SH,

like Ingwe-san,

[Linked Image]

many times I hunt in Crocs

[Linked Image]

so should I hunt with 2 lugs, 3 lugs, 9 lugs, or by myself???

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by mathman
Never had a problem with either type.

Because you never used them , if you had you would have a problem even opening the bolt.

Name rifles and scopes in question?

This is the question I was answering:

Almost forgot to ask, has a 90-degree bolt throw ever been a problem for you? Have you ever missed a shot because of the extra 20-30 degrees you had to throw the bolt?

THis is what I was answering and why I like short lift bolts

You asked about missing a shot because of an extra 30 degrees of bolt lift. I have not missed any shots because of whatever amount of bolt lift was involved at the time.

Now if you're asking have I missed a shot because I couldn't open the bolt because it hit the scope, that's a silly question. Whatever the scope, whatever the rifle, I mount the scope so the bolt is operable.

My argument is there is a very valid reason for rifles with short bolt lifts. I pointed them out. Done with this discussion

Yea, short bolt lifts help when you have a 56mm objective. [bleep] this place is funny

Pay attention and read thru the thread that is not what I said [bleep] There is a reason you are a school bus driver , wondering who you paid off in the school district to get even that job

Go Gaytors

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by teal
Never had a bolt hit the scope, no matter how it was mounted. Winchester, Ruger, Remington rifles.

I assume there's a dumbassed way to do it so they would hit, just that my brain doesn't have a low enough gear to come across that as a viable mounting option.

I also cycle my action cup and ball, I don't grip the bolt like I'm holding onto a stick, it simply pivots around in the palm/,meat of my hand.

wow amazing . Please list the scopes, rifles and ring base heights and lengths to authenticate this amazing statement.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I don't give a [bleep] about custom rifle builders, none of them use their own actions......

Wrong again. But keep going, you're batting a thousand.

10000 Ruger Americans will be sold for every custom rifle ...

So what. 10,000 people watch "Honey Boo Boo" on TV for every one that reads an actual newspaper.

But if you want to play that game, let's give it a whirl. We'll start with just Ruger, since you mentioned Ruger American Rifles. How many 2-lug bolts do you reckon Ruger has sold, vs. 3-luggers?

Now let's look at all major gun manufacturers combined, same question, how many 2-luggers vs. 3-luggers?

WOw you really are a dense one.

How long has the RugerAmerican rifle been out compared to their 77 which has been out since the late sixties.

If it is made in greater or lesser quantities it does not diminish the fact that a multi lug(more then 2) makes a more accurate rifle, makes mounting scopes that have big oculars and objectives easier and If there is a drawback it is the increased effort on the bolt lift.

Now someone get a connect the dots coloring book for the Bus Driving Steelhead so he can figure this out....ah forget that it won't help.

37-7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In answer to the OP's original question, I wouldn't buy either rifle. I think you need to have a pretty good reason to sign up for .300 Weatherby mag recoil. It's just not a good move for most people.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If it is made in greater or lesser quantities it does not diminish the fact that a multi lug(more then 2) makes a more accurate rifle.....

Pure, unadulterated BS.

Or maybe you'd care to substantiate that, since you seem to be big on substantiation?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jorgeI

This.

You rang, sir? smile

I said 'old man,' not "Stately Gentleman" grin

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by teal
Never had a bolt hit the scope, no matter how it was mounted. Winchester, Ruger, Remington rifles.

I assume there's a dumbassed way to do it so they would hit, just that my brain doesn't have a low enough gear to come across that as a viable mounting option.

I also cycle my action cup and ball, I don't grip the bolt like I'm holding onto a stick, it simply pivots around in the palm/,meat of my hand.

wow amazing . Please list the scopes, rifles and ring base heights and lengths to authenticate this amazing statement.

Thought you were done you dumbass.

Rifles were listed. Ruger rings were stock, others were DD, don't remember heights - just know I'm not dumb enough to put one on that didn't work. If the [bleep] thing hit - change it.

Cripes you need some meds or maybe a 5th grade education. I've seen some real dumb asses on the fire in the 11 years I've been here but you're gunning for top prize.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[

You rang, sir? smile [/quote]

I said 'old man,' not "Stately Gentleman" grin [/quote]

well, appreciate the overstatement, but I'll still take it, espcially in a 7 Wby mag! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

623 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,013 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,257
Posts18,448,126
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.