Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I am going to be on the north end of Vancouver Island starting Sept 5 for a few days. We will start off in the Port Hardy area.
Is there any fishing that is accessible by foot, other than fishing off the beach? I'd also like to get some pictures of the Roosevelt elk, if anyone has any tips on that sort of thing.
Also, any great sea food places or other places we just shouldn't miss?

Thanks!

Fred

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fred;
It sounds like you folks are getting out some, so I'll take that as a positive thing - but still wish you all well.

As we've only been up Island one time, I've no good advice to give you Fred, but I do recall it's very pretty country and I'm sure someone will give you some good tips.

All the best to you folks Fred, safe travels and good hunts this fall too.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Dwayne
Well wishes right back at ya!
We are getting out a lot, plan to take advantage of our good health while it lasts. The trip to the Island is to take a trip to Knight Inlet to photo bears, which is my latest addiction.

Fred

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fred:

Talk to the locals about finding Roosevelt Elk herds, I have seen them in numerous spots up there, Salmon River south of Sayward and in between Campbell and Gold River. The Sointula Museum is worth a visit, take a ferry from Port McNeil to Malcolm Island.

Nic

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks, Nic

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Watch for the island log trucks!

They are to our Northwestern US log trucks what the Hummer is to a WW2 era Willys jeep.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
Watch for the island log trucks!

They are to our Northwestern US log trucks what the Hummer is to a WW2 era Willys jeep.

OregonCoot;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you well and keeping cool enough this evening.

When my wife and I were camping on the Queen Charlotte's years back we were talking to someone about all the Sitka blacktail we were seeing.

They commented something along the line of the reason was the blacktail had no natural enemies there to speak of besides off road logging trucks.... wink

We used to run into overweight/over length logging trucks on the privately maintained logging road on the mountain above our house - but some of the big off roaders - Pacifics and such, really need to be seen to be comprehended properly.

If anyone is interested, here's what OregonCoot and I are discussing.

All the best to you sir and hopefully my cyber friend Fred avoids any and all negative interaction with big logging trucks on his trip up Island.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spent some time in the Port Hardy area a few years back hunting blackies. Shot the 26th bear stalked on the 2nd day of hunting. Really nice bear. Only saw one elk, a pile of Blacktails, and one cougar along with a Blue Grouse on every log or road.

Fished for Halibut only and caught some real slabs. Largest I caught was 75 pounds, but another guy on the boat caught one pushing 150. Didn't check out the inland fishing.

Good advice here on the logging operations. Those trucks don't stop...can't.

Edit added: My hunt was in May

Last edited by 1Deernut; 08/21/14.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Will take your a advice on trucks to heart-

Last edited by Royce; 08/23/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ditto to asking locals where to see elk in small places like Sayward. I've been off on most of the logging roads between Campbell River and Sayward and a few north of there, and seen elk on most of them. You will likely see some along the highway north of Campbell River. There is a herd that hangs around the scattered rural houses that comprise Sayward.

If you have time it is a gorgeous drive from Campbell River to Gold River and you will likely see elk and black bears from the highway. It is a major trip on from there to Tahsis, beautiful, partly gravel, lots of elk, bears and waterfalls.

It is a long and knock-out pretty drive from near Nanaimo through Port Alberni and on to Uclulet or Tofino. Superb beaches between jagged rock headlands, but waaaay far.

IC B3

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Hey, thanks for the tips, everyone. I was looking forward to this trip, and now I am looking forward to it even more. I'll take a couple of fishing poles,my cameras and rain gear and have a ball. I am so lucky that my girlfriend loves exploring these places as much as I do.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you can, check out Winter Harbor. Definitely off the beaten track .. if I remember correctly, it is about 50K SW of Port Hardy. Last time I was there (10+ years back), the locals maintained a great little campground of around 7-8 sites. It was free at the time.

Beautiful spot!

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Seeing an oncoming loaded Pacific logging truck might stop your heart. If you are towing a big boat at the time, it WILL stop your heart.

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Just got back from Port McNeill- Had a great time and can't wait to go back. We were mottling it, which is very expensive there, so we didn't stay as long as we'd have liked. Next time, we'll pull the camper.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Next time you are up, there are some great places to camp for cheap. Naka Creek camp site is right on the ocean almost in sight of Robson's Bight. Junction Pool is a little ways back toward the highway from there along the Eve River. Bonanza Lake up near Telegraph Cove (or Ida Lake for that matter) - forestry camp sites, no fees, just keep em clean for the next guy. There's a great tour to see the grizzlies that leaves from Telegraph Cove, but costs $$. I've seen more Elk in farmers fields in Sayward than anywhere else in the world. I was surprised the wife and I didn't see any earlier this Summer when I took her kayaking up Naka Creek way. I've also seem Elk off the highway around Campbell River and up in the Beaufort Range around Buckley Bay, but those are generally harder to find.

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Mike
Thanks for all the tips. We took that bear watching tour out of Telegraph Cove and it was incredible. Before we left, the captain of the boat said that it was typical to see four or five bears. We saw about 25, they were everywhere that day- I have pictures of a grizzly in a tree, pictures of a sow woth four cubs, pictures of bears fishing. It was expensive but worth it.
Fred

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
From Vancouver Island trip

[Linked Image]

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Another[Linked Image]

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
ANOTHER

[Linked Image]

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Another

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
522 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.