Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Price: $295.00

COMPLETE MAUSER LARGE RING EUROPEAN COMMERCIAL ACTIONS MANUFACTURED BY THE FAMED FIREARMS MAKER DUMOULIN OF �BELGIUM�

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
this is a good find Adam...thnx

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone buy one today?

Adam

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by ab_bentley
Anyone buy one today?

Adam

Not yet but I spoke with Sarco today and got some further details. I am quite tempted to pick, at least, one of these units up. Sarco did not know what kind of rings would fit these actions. Both bridges are the same height so that could complicate things, somewhat. Could need a custom/proprietary set-up.

These look like they could be the basis for an excellent custom rifle. Can't say for certain without having one to inspect but the fit and finish appear to be much better than the Zastava manufactured actions. Several desirable features, as well - 3 pos. safety, integral bridges, and what looks to be high quality bottom metal.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Pinot- Did they mention the groove width. If its 19mm the CZ 550 rings might match up well?

Semper Fi

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i ordered two. will report back when they arrive.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got a shipping confirmation today, it'll be here Friday. I'll try and snap some pictures.

Adam

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did a nice little custom with one of those actions years ago. Rings for these actions are indeed very rare. They have a pin on the bottom base of the ring and an indention is milled in front bridge of the action to keep the scope from moving under recoil. I was told Dumoulim would re-cut the bridges and fit proprietary rings. I finally .found a pair of mounts for the action at SunnyHill. I seriously doubt they still have any but it might be worth a try.

the action is a little rough around the edges, but one hell of a value.

Here is mine. .338-06
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What stopped you from cutting them to fit Talleys? That rifle is the reason I bought one.

Adam

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I honestly can't remember. The action and the old Guild barrel was sent to Mark Stratton and we had a few conversations about the mounts but before he did anything I found those at SunnyHill and went with them.

They are quick release.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I emailed dumoulin-herstal about a US distributor, hopefully they'll get back soon. I noticed on their sight it looks like they have ERA mounts and it says compatible with many mounts...

Adam

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

That's a handsome rifle!

Is that a rib on an octagon barrel?

Excellent photography as well. cool

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savage_99

That's a handsome rifle!

Is that a rib on an octagon barrel?

Excellent photography as well. cool

Yes, that barrel came off an old Guild Mauser. It was chambered for a 8X57 but the bore was worn slick and pitted. The barrel was re bored and chambered for a .338-06.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
is the top of the action drilled also? ab if you hear back about the mounts please let me know.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by TC1
I did a nice little custom with one of those actions years ago. Rings for these actions are indeed very rare. They have a pin on the bottom base of the ring and an indention is milled in front bridge of the action to keep the scope from moving under recoil. I was told Dumoulim would re-cut the bridges and fit proprietary rings. I finally .found a pair of mounts for the action at SunnyHill. I seriously doubt they still have any but it might be worth a try.

the action is a little rough around the edges, but one hell of a value.

Here is mine. .338-06
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Beautiful rifle!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I need one like I need a hole in the head but will be contacting my FFL to have him order one. Three position safety and square bridges is tough to beat at that price! Thanks for posting.

Regarding the rings, this is from the description:

" Each flat is predrilled and threaded for standard 6-48 screws in 2 places. Flat tops are parallel and at the same level. These Actions have been engineered from original FN Belgian blue prints."

Unfortunately, it doesn't give the spacing of the holes for the mounts.

Talent is what you're born with, skills are what you earn. - Rod Smith

Time flies, but remember, you are the pilot!
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by muzzleblast
is the top of the action drilled also? ab if you hear back about the mounts please let me know.

Yes, but I don't have a clue why. I put filler screws in mine. Making a custom base wouldn't be any cheaper than re-milling the bridge nor would it look very nice.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
EAW MOUNTS

Looks like EAW makes mounts for the 2000. NECG should be able to get you a quick release set of bases and rings for $399.

Expensive but it stings less when you get the action for so cheap... and probably still cheaper than milling Talley style bases and buying rings.

Semper Fi

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
haverluk thanks for the link.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Had forgotten about EAW. Looks like they also make claw mounts for the Dumoulin.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FOR ANYBODY WANTING MOUNTS FOR THIS ACTION

I just called Sunny Hill manufacturing and they still have mounts (in stock) for this action. He told me they have both 30MM and 1" and will make more if there is a demand for them.

They are $210 for regular non-Q/D and $225 for Q/D plus $7 for shipping. A little pricey but a lot cheaper than EAW's and IMHO, better looking.

This is what I'm running on mine and had to order another pair while I had him on the phone laugh

Here is the other side for those interested.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
thanks tc1! those look good. the 2 actions i bought will be turned into a matched pair of 400 whelens also sporting irons. the quick release mounts will be handy

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks tc1! those look good. the 2 actions i bought will be turned into a matched pair of 400 whelens also sporting irons. the quick release mounts will be handy

Ha, mine is going to be a .375 Whelen as I have the .35 and soon to be a .400.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey ab_bentley, just wanted to say thanks for the link! I went ahead and bought another one this morning. When I got my last one they were hard to find then and I always wanted another.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with mine yet. It'll probably just sit in the safe for sometime while I daydream about it.

Terry

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You're welcome, I just sent Sunny Hill an email for a set of QD rings.

Adam

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Terry-

If I might ask, how would you compare the quality of the action itself ( not considering the value of the safety and bottom metal) against a commercial FN?

The image in the ad suggests the machining/ finish of these might be a bit rough. Did you have to have a lot of work done to yours to finish it out?

Thanks

Bob

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by TC1

[Linked Image]

Looking closer at this view, it looks like the roll mark says "Global Trading". Weren't these the Italian-made Mauser actions that Legacy imported 10 - 15 years ago?

Global Trading Mauser

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pinotguy
Originally Posted by TC1

[Linked Image]

Looking closer at this view, it looks like the roll mark says "Global Trading". Weren't these the Italian-made Mauser actions that Legacy imported 10 - 15 years ago?

Global Trading Mauser

Yes, and that is the exact same action Domoulin has used for years. I'm not sure what the roll mark will say on this one from Sarco but, it's the same action. It's just like a Zastavia mauser. It's been called a Whitworth, Zastavia, Charles Daly, Remington and now Zastavia again. But, it's still the same action.

I should have one of the new ones in hand next week. I will compare the two and report back.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlackBart
Terry-

If I might ask, how would you compare the quality of the action itself ( not considering the value of the safety and bottom metal) against a commercial FN?

The image in the ad suggests the machining/ finish of these might be a bit rough. Did you have to have a lot of work done to yours to finish it out?

Thanks

Bob

IMO, the FN is one of the slickest commercial Mausers ever made and this one isn't. It's more compariable to the Zastavia line.

On the last one I bought the finish below the stock line was/is rough as a corn cob. The timing on the safety was off. The floorplate had a little more play in it than it should have had and the blueing was awful.

All that can be fixed though and when you compare the features to the price (3 - position safety, bow release straddle floorplate , integral machined bridges) it's a stone cold bargain. Just don't expect to pull it out of the box and screw a barrel on. I'm not anyway.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by TC1

[Linked Image]

Global Trading Mauser

Interesting, but it would suck to see a susposed made in Belgium action stamped italy. crazy

Trump Won!
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think these were ever marketed or represented as a Belgium made action were they?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ab_bentley

Yessir, says it right here in this add.

Trump Won!
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sure does crazy They need to change that.

I'm real interested in what the rollmark is going to say.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Like this.....Adam

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool! How about some close ups of the rest of it.

Are you happy with it?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oh No, the suspense will mount smile

As to the overall quality. It's going to take some time to get it right. The bottom metal is a knock of Jerry Fisher/ Blackburn. The 3pos shroud is rough, mine won't even allow the bolt to cock. It has a high spot. The trigger is good.

Adam

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It sounds a lot like the last one I bought. It wasn't perfect but everything was fixable. I'm running the original trigger on mine still.

I do see a Dumoulin billboard on the left side of yours. cool

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It's there and it's etched in, not cut or carved.

Adam

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Given that I just paid substantially more than the price of these actions to Jerry Fisher to get one of his bottom metal, the value is certainly there on these.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by TC1
It sounds a lot like the last one I bought. It wasn't perfect but everything was fixable. I'm running the original trigger on mine still.

I do see a Dumoulin billboard on the left side of yours. cool

Great news indeed. smile

Trump Won!
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I went to the gunshop and picked up mine this morning. It looks to be the exact same action as the Safari Arms Global Trading Mauser pictured above.

This new one seems to have a slightly better fit and finish though. IMO, if it would have been packaged a little better you could have gotten away without a refinish on a budget build but, it was just sliding around in the box and has rub marks all over it. No big deal I would have refinished it reguardless.

The fit on the triggerguard assembly on this one is also better. The bow release lever is flush with the guard and operates smoothly. The floorplate has almost no play in it.

The safety on this one works great! Better than a few NewHaven Winchester M70's I've owned over the years.

I've only found one flaw so far but it's a big one. The cam on the cocking piece and the bolt don't mate up! Once you kick the safety off and fire the action YOU CAN'T RE-COCK IT. I don't think it's going to be any big deal to fix but it does need some attention. More than likely it'll just need a little sanding or filing on the bolt cam area followed by a polish. It's not a huge deal to fix but the action is basicly unuseable until it happens so it is a pretty big deal.

Over all all I'm happy with it and think it was one hell of a bargain.

I've decided I'm going with a short barrel and mannlicher stock on this one. Right now calibers I'm considering: 7X64, .280Rem, 257roberts, 7X57 and the boring but well proven .30-06.

Terry

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice, mine says "Dumoulin Herstal S.A." and works perfect, gonna build a 400 Whelen outta mine.

Trump Won!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
my two are in and i'll pick them up on tuesday. gunner, great minds think alike. im going to build a matched pair of 400's for a friend and i

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 400 Whelen does sound pretty neat.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
my two are in and i'll pick them up on tuesday. gunner, great minds think alike. im going to build a matched pair of 400's for a friend and i

Helluve deal, I got 100 rounds of quality cartridge cylindrical [basic] 400 Whelen brass, gonna leave the shoulder at .458" and ream with a 'Petrov' reamer.

With a case mouth o.d. of 435", that will leave a 23 thou shoulder for head-spacing.

Also got a couple hundred 400 gr Woodleigh weld-core bullets, will be looking for 2150 fps from the Krieger 14 twist barrel at 25" burning CFE-223 powder.

Gonna build a poor mans safari rifle with a nice NEGC barrel band front sight, sling swivel barrel band, and a nice flip up island rear sight and exploit the hell out of the 06' hull for maximum power and efficiency. grin

Have a set of the QD Sunny Hill rings on the way too, they said they are un-blued, just as well, all the metal will be charcoal blued to go nice with the McMillan syn stock as well as a nice piece of walnut should one ever come along.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by TC1

Gonna build a little 'pounder' here TC1, mag holds four 9.3-62mm cartridges loaded to 3.330"

Four down and one in the pipe will be a formidable little combo chunkin' five 400 gr Woodleighs. grin

This will be a fun project.

Trump Won!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
gunner you just described my buddy and i's build, to the t. only difference is a little shorter barrel. gonna be fun to thump some east texas hogs!

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by TC1

Gonna build a little 'pounder' here TC1, mag holds four 9.3-62mm cartridges loaded to 3.330"

Four down and one in the pipe will be a formidable little combo chunkin' five 400 gr Woodleighs. grin

That does sound like fun. I might have to add the 400 to the list. I'm wanting a short barrel treestand rifle. That Whelen would would be pure hell on Mississippi whitetail.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TC1
Well, I went to the gunshop and picked up mine this morning. It looks to be the exact same action as the Safari Arms Global Trading Mauser pictured above.

This new one seems to have a slightly better fit and finish though. IMO, if it would have been packaged a little better you could have gotten away without a refinish on a budget build but, it was just sliding around in the box and has rub marks all over it. No big deal I would have refinished it reguardless.

The fit on the triggerguard assembly on this one is also better. The bow release lever is flush with the guard and operates smoothly. The floorplate has almost no play in it.

The safety on this one works great! Better than a few NewHaven Winchester M70's I've owned over the years.

I've only found one flaw so far but it's a big one. The cam on the cocking piece and the bolt don't mate up! Once you kick the safety off and fire the action YOU CAN'T RE-COCK IT. I don't think it's going to be any big deal to fix but it does need some attention. More than likely it'll just need a little sanding or filing on the bolt cam area followed by a polish. It's not a huge deal to fix but the action is basicly unuseable until it happens so it is a pretty big deal.

Over all all I'm happy with it and think it was one hell of a bargain.

I've decided I'm going with a short barrel and mannlicher stock on this one. Right now calibers I'm considering: 7X64, .280Rem, 257roberts, 7X57 and the boring but well proven .30-06.

Terry

Terry, the one I received seems to be just like yours. Smoother I think that that Safari Arms action. Same hard cocking issue though not as bad. Otherwise, for the Money, seems to be a very solid platform to build on.

I can see it becoming a full stocked 9,3x62. Though, I too have been wanting to use my 7x64 reamer on something, lol.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by TC1

That does sound like fun. I might have to add the 400 to the list. I'm wanting a short barrel treestand rifle. That Whelen would would be pure hell on Mississippi whitetail.

Damn right Men, if I can safely approach 2150 fps with the 400 gr Woodleigh we already know what their capable of, that matches the ballistics of the famed 450-400 Nitro Express and 404 Jeffery when loaded to factory specs. shocked grin

"ANY" deer, hog, bear, elk or moose would be in very deep chit inside of 300 yards. wink

I like 25" barrels on rifles of this type, goes/balances best for me with the 13.75/14" L.O.P's.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
GOTDANG, lost my thought process there for a minute staring at z1r's avatar. crazy crazy grin lol

What I was trying to add is the 400 Whelen should feed faster and slicker than about any other cartridge, cant wait to hear her bark the first time.

Trump Won!
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by z1r

Terry, the one I received seems to be just like yours. Smoother I think that that Safari Arms action. Same hard cocking issue though not as bad. Otherwise, for the Money, seems to be a very solid platform to build on.

I can see it becoming a full stocked 9,3x62. Though, I too have been wanting to use my 7x64 reamer on something, lol.

I hear ya Mike. A 9.3X62 mannlicher sounds too cool. I just put in an order for a rough turned mannlichler stock last week.

I'm going with the top pattern and having him add a mid forearm schnabel. Plain grain.
[Linked Image]

Money is tight these day's with two kids in college. The "parts fund" has been drained for couple of months. This is going to be a slow moving project for me mad

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
gunner who are you going to have do your smith work on the 400?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
gunner who are you going to have do your smith work on the 400?

An old X-Military gunsmith Bud of mine, plus, he's a Mauser freak.

And 'oh hell yeah' got my dies in the mail this evening, just made up a dummy round, with necking down the brass, I, according to my calipers bumped the shoulder to 459"

With a c.o.a.l. of 3.315" and the bullet crimped in the groove picked up a round from the mag by withdrawing the bolt, puked her out the front and onto the ground slick as a whistle.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Anyone wanna see a pic of the dummy round PM me a cell number and I'll fire ya off one or two. grin

Trump Won!
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm posting these for gunner500. These are his 400 Whelen dummy rounds. They look big! He said that's .257 Roberts beside it for comparison. It fills the action, that's for sure.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yup, thats her and the Roberts for scale TC1, a very visible shoulder for head-spacing despite my lame photo skill. blush lol

Thinking the shoulder will be a bit more pronounced and much sharper after a stiff firing.

I compared it to my 458 Win Mag last night, 500 grs at 2150 for the 458 and 400 grs at 2150 for the Whelen, substantial punch and efficiency on the '06 hull imho.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Got a by god nice stick of walnut located, will see tonight on how much it's gonna take to get it. cry

Trump Won!
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
So I ordered in three of these actions--one for me, one for my father, and one for someday.

Quite a bit of variation in the three. One is pretty nice. The bolt is polished, rather than blued, and by the feel of it, the action has had some hand work. The second is just medium, functions, but nothing fancy. The third will not function. Just like TC1's, the bolt will not lift out of the notch if the firing pin is down.

The finish below the waterline is rough, and above it is none too great. Some time with 400 grit paper will improve that.

For the price I think these are a great deal. I have spent as much as these actions cost to get a Gentry 3-position safety fitted. I have spent more than the cost of these actions on just bottom metal. I think these are better than the Zastava actions imported in recent years. They will take some handwork and fitting--an investment in labor that simply can not be justified in actions selling at this price point.

I think that when the finished rifles start appearing, there will be people who wished they had bought one when they had the chance.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet Utah, got the stick today, will send pics to Terry.

Trump Won!
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Posted for Gunner500

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Many Thanks TC1, sorry for the late reply, been clearing the farm, outbuildings, equipment sheds and barns with the Hi-Po's and county Sheriff, there's an escaped convict in the neighborhood, bad dude, hope he don't pick me. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Now, back on track, that little action will fit that stock with just a wee bit of fitting, barrel should have been here today, got it from Kriegers stock pile of in-stock blanks. wink

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Gunner500 - Can we get some details on the stock? Like how you were about to produce/find a fine stick like that in such a short time? Soon to be empty wallets and short attention spans need to know!

Semper Fi

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Seems like the consensus on these actions is that they are a very good value, with some varying degrees of fit and finish between examples received.

For those that have these in-hand, is there anything that would discourage you from opening the bolt-face and chambering to a larger cartridge? Say something along the lines of a 9.3x64 Brenneke.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone, by chance, seen one of the finished rifles sold by Dumoulin?

I wonder if the desired end result of building a rifle on one of these actions might be more easily accomplished by having a Gentry shroud and safety fitted to a CZ.
That, of course, wouldn't include the fancy bottom metal, but the CZ is good enough, if not perfect.

By the way, currently the CZ site doesn't show the 550 American. The push-feed 557 seems to be taking the place of the 550. There should still be plenty in the pipe for now.

What fresh Hell is this?
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Seems like the consensus on these actions is that they are a very good value, with some varying degrees of fit and finish between examples received.

For those that have these in-hand, is there anything that would discourage you from opening the bolt-face and chambering to a larger cartridge? Say something along the lines of a 9.3x64 Brenneke.

I do not know of any reason a 9.3x64 would not fit, with a little bolt face and feed rails work. If you know of a particular dimension that could be problematic, I could measure the ones I have for you.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I wonder if the desired end result of building a rifle on one of these actions might be more easily accomplished by having a Gentry shroud and safety fitted to a CZ.
That, of course, wouldn't include the fancy bottom metal, but the CZ is good enough, if not perfect.

By the way, currently the CZ site doesn't show the 550 American. The push-feed 557 seems to be taking the place of the 550. There should still be plenty in the pipe for now.

No, the price of the CZ550 3-position safety almost exceeds the price of the complete M-98 action and that's before installation. After it's complete you still don't have a Mauser action, you have a CZ. Not bad but if you want a Mauser you need to buy a Mauser. To me that's like wanting a Winchester M70 but buying a Remington 700 and paying three times the price for it. Don't forget you'll still need a barrel and another stock for the CZ also, We are talking custom rifles here.

If this action wasn't the answer for me, my next choice would be to buy an FN and gut it for the action.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by haverluk
Gunner500 - Can we get some details on the stock? Like how you were about to produce/find a fine stick like that in such a short time? Soon to be empty wallets and short attention spans need to know!

LOL, we all have them, you know the guys that wanna buy every damn rifle you have, they whine, beg, bribe, plead and conspire. grin

I have passed many a fine weapon across a truck hood or poker table when the cabbage pile was correct, so goes the story with this stock.

One of the pleader Buds of mine had that stock and was gonna build something on it forever, I called and said look, your never gonna build chit with that stock, you're to busy scheming my stuff, hand it over, I said, I need it for a 400 Whelen build.

Was out of the loop a bit yesterday, he text'd me and said he put it in my tractor seat when I was gone and that I was welcome and we're even. grin

I guess having friends like that pays off at times...............well, it did this time anyway. lol

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Oh yeah, barrel got here today too, UPS hand said the Coppers directed them away from here yesterday afternoon, guess it was on the count of the escaped convict in the area. wink

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BTW, Stock Bud is a Copper, so he got in. smile

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I guess having friends like that pays off at times...............well, it did this time anyway. lol

I guess I need to get myself some new friends! crazy Most are cheap bastards that still run Pappy's old Savage in '06. Good folks but they can't fathom how I can spend $600 just on a Mcm stock when they can buy a complete rifle with scope for that much.

For me it started out of necessity. At 6'6" I need a 14.5"+ lop so it started with the stock and my one looney friend got me into the 280AI about 10 years ago... It's been an expensive downhill obsession ever since. I am hooked and y'all don't help!

Congrats on the stock. That 400 is going to be a stelar build. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Semper Fi

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by Pappy348

No, the price of the CZ550 3-position safety almost exceeds the price of the complete M-98 action and that's before installation. After it's complete you still don't have a Mauser action, you have a CZ. Not bad but if you want a Mauser you need to buy a Mauser. To me that's like wanting a Winchester M70 but buying a Remington 700 and paying three times the price for it. Don't forget you'll still need a barrel and another stock for the CZ also, We are talking custom rifles here.

If this action wasn't the answer for me, my next choice would be to buy an FN and gut it for the action.

I was thinking more in terms of a nice hunting rifle than a full-blown custom. I've never seen a CZ in the flesh, but was under the impression that aside from the side safety, shroud and possibly the magazine box, it was essentially a 98. The Gentry safety for the CZ is, for some reason, priced about $90 above the 98 version. Who'd a thunk it?

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/05/14.

What fresh Hell is this?
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Domoulin Herstal is a well known name in the custom rifle industry and they use this action for their rifles. They have a few kinks that need to be worked out but a good gunsmith can do that without any trouble.

High end custom Mausers are made with a wide variety of actions from $4000 Granite Mountain actions to $75 Mil-Surp's. With a custom Mauser it's not what you start with it's what you end up with that determines it's value. I've seen quite a few customs built on Zastavia actions from some of the the finest builders around (Shane Thompson, James Anderson, Duane Weibe, Ralf Martini.) From the Zastavia Mini Mauser to the left handed M98 action they make. Once cleaned up they make a fine rifle.

The CZ has some Mauser features but so does a Winchester M70. It's not a Mauser. The fact still remains, a CZ 550 3 position safety cost almost as much as this entire action alone and I would take one of these over a CZ 550 for a high end or budget build. Not that there is anything wrong with a CZ 550 but it's not my choice. If it's yours that's cool but maybe it belongs on a different thread.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i got both of my actions tuesday. they both seem to function fine.
although the feed lips on one seems to be really sharp and needs some clean up. one had a polished bolt and one blued

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Actually, my taste runs to M70s and FNs. The features of these Dumoulins are impressive and certainly they are solid enough. I have to wonder if fixing the various finish and function issues cited make it in general a better idea to go ahead and use an FN rather than paying $70 or so an hour for a gunsmith to sort them out.

Then again, after pricing the Blackburn and Sunny Hill bottom metal, as well as the Gentry safeties, the fog's starting to lift!

As I've mentioned on another recent thread, my late brother had a wonderful 7mm RM built on a Zastava by Brown Precision back in the '80s, possibly the best hunting rifle I've ever personally used.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I guess I need to get myself some new friends! crazy Most are cheap bastards that still run Pappy's old Savage in '06. Good folks but they can't fathom how I can spend $600 just on a Mcm stock when they can buy a complete rifle with scope for that much.

For me it started out of necessity. At 6'6" I need a 14.5"+ lop so it started with the stock and my one looney friend got me into the 280AI about 10 years ago... It's been an expensive downhill obsession ever since. I am hooked and y'all don't help!

Congrats on the stock. That 400 is going to be a stelar build. I can't wait to see the finished product.

LOL on the rifle kits at wally world, I like a 14" lop at 6'2", balances better for me, especially using 25/26" barrels.

I am very fortunate on this build, getting that stock was a major hurdle cleared. wink

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
If Andy up at Sunny Hill would get off his ass and send me my rings I'd gather up all these pieces and haul em up to the Smith for completion of this fun little project. wink

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
C or H ring on these?

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by TC1
FOR ANYBODY WANTING MOUNTS FOR THIS ACTION

I just called Sunny Hill manufacturing and they still have mounts (in stock) for this action. He told me they have both 30MM and 1" and will make more if there is a demand for them.

They are $210 for regular non-Q/D and $225 for Q/D plus $7 for shipping. A little pricey but a lot cheaper than EAW's and IMHO, better looking.

This is what I'm running on mine and had to order another pair while I had him on the phone laugh

[Linked Image]

Anybody got their rings from SH yet?

Trump Won!
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi gunner500, I called SH this morning to find out what was going on. He said he had the mount parts scattered all over the shop and had just gotten all the orders ready to ship. He said they would go out today. I gave him my number and he said he would call back if there was any trouble doing so.

Hopefully this will be the end of the delays. I needed mine yesterday also.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks TC1, I spoke with Andy this afternoon, mine are on the way, I have a pile of metal and wood waiting to go to the 'smith, this is gonna be a fun project.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Rings in, all the parts and pieces along with the reamer off to the 'smiths asap, be cool to bust some game with this rifle this hunting season. wink cool smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Been mired up heavy all week, 'Smith was nice enough to drive out to the farm last night 'LATE' and pick up all my parts and pieces, build will commence on Monday morning, {if he's not out tinkering with it todaylaugh}

So, how are all you mens builds progressing?

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hope you guys didnt give up, I'll send pics in a couple three weeks when mines done. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hope you guys didnt give up, I'll send pics in a couple three weeks when mines done. smile

In the meantime, tell us what you are having done to it.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Having the action squared worked and smoothed, installing a .730" at the muzzle Krieger barrel at 24" with a set of NEGC barrel band front sight and an island rear, sent an Oberndorf straight bolt handle in case it can be made to work with the stock I got.

The QD rings and all the steel will be a soft charcoal blue and bedded in the stock, may full length bed the barrel also, will install a new 1.5-5 Leupold gloss scope.

400 gr Woodleigh's at 2150 will be next on the list when completed.

Trump Won!
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't give up but my wallet got a little winded. crazy

I got the action, mounts and a stock on order. That'll probably be about as far as it goes until after Christmas.

I'm looking foward to seeing some of these finished rifles.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 TC1, I understand, you got Walnut ordered for it?

This build is very special to me, you see, this rifle will be a keeper for me as long as I'm able to hunt, I'm looking at this 400 Whelen as being my last remaining big bore, I have some really heavy kickers.

As I age I'll have to sell those off due to recoil, this rifle firing it 400 gr bullets at a very mild yet effective 2150+ fps will kill all kinds of light as well as heavy game throughout one's remaining hunting years without kicking me outta my 'power chair' grin.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lol. That OKH of TC1 is enough to give a guy a Woodie - Nice Wood! Great round, great lines - unique bbl. Did I mention nice glass? All first class.

Be happy to get it Christened - plenty 4320 to torch some 225s...
Not much could stand it. Well executed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Action worked, barrel threaded, chambered and installed. wink

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Any updates on builds going on with these actions, pics?

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
SB, I'll check with my 'smith on Monday, she's gotta be about ready to pickup, I'll text some pics to TC1 or MuzzleBlast and see if they will post em up for us at that time. cool

Trump Won!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
my recent trip to montana put the brakes on my build. gotta work some ot to get it kicking again.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
So what are the legit options for scope bases/rings?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
So what are the legit options for scope bases/rings?

1.Sunny Hill
2.EAW
3.Have your smith mill the bridges for your choice of mounts.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I am the smith but if this thing is case hardened, it's not going to be milled to anything.

I don't see anything about bases/rings on Sunny Hill's website. Are they custom order or what?

NRA Benefactor Member

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seen several examples of these milled to accept Talley mounts.

On the Sunny Hill mounts. They have them in stock. You just have to call and order. Prices and other info have already been posted in this thread.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
my recent trip to montana put the brakes on my build. gotta work some ot to get it kicking again.

Dang it on the Montanny vacuum, my 'smith said he's got to install the rear sight and blue all the metal and she'll be ready to throw fire. cool

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I am the smith but if this thing is case hardened, it's not going to be milled to anything.

I don't see anything about bases/rings on Sunny Hill's website. Are they custom order or what?

Yes, like TC1 said, call Sunny Hill and order a set of rings for the Dumoulin Mauser action.

Mine were 210 shipped for a set of 1" QD's.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
G500- You get that rifle back yet?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I tried calling all day to order some actions and the phone was 'not in service' whatever that means.

NRA Benefactor Member

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried calling all day to order some actions and the phone was 'not in service' whatever that means.

I read your post and dialed the number (920-898-4707) this morning 7:45AM CST and got thier voice mail. It seems to be working now.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Yes, I got through and ordered two.

NRA Benefactor Member

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I see that Lothar Walther has prefit mauser barrels which are long chambered requiring only setting back to fit. Anyone ever use one of these? I have never gone this route but saves buying a 9.3 reamer!

NRA Benefactor Member

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see that Lothar Walther has prefit mauser barrels which are long chambered requiring only setting back to fit. Anyone ever use one of these? I have never gone this route but saves buying a 9.3 reamer!

I used one about 10 years ago on a 1909 Argentine 9.3X62 build. It was scary accurate. The contour worked for the caliber but I thought it might be a little heavy with a smaller bore.

I might use another one myself.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MadMooner
G500- You get that rifle back yet?

No Sir, should be any day now though, last time I spoke to my 'smith he was sitting on the chitter with a trash can between his knees. grin

He likes bluing the steel to be done, said he needed to complete a few smaller odds and ends projects so he can blue all the stuff together.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought myself a number of these actions before I went hunting last month.
I plan to make bases for them by modifying two Weaver steel bases.
The front mount:
I plan fixturing a Weaver S46 upside down in the mill with modified V blocks. I will mill the bottom flat. That will be the front mount with two 6-48 screws on .860" centers.

The rear mount:
will get the front mount operation plus a 7/32" end mill countersink 0.110" deep and a 0.146" through hole on 0.504" centers. I will then shorten the S46 with 3 holes to S45 length with two holes.

The mounts will be fixtured to be colinear on the receiver with an AR15 riser clamped on, and fixtured coplanar with the 6-48 screws until the loctite cures.

This should cost me $22.58 recurring cost per receiver for materials.
Given how much money I have and how much longer I have to live, I should charge myself more for the labor.

The weak spot is the rear two screws in tension when the rear of the rifle pulls down on the scope. The snipers say they replace 6-48 screws with 8-40 for more strength. On other rifles I have been shooting 338 Win Mag 250 gr at 2500 fps and I cannot get dual rear 6-48 screws in tension to budge.

It is more than F=ma of the recoil. The screws are already loaded up with tension from the torquing. Those forces are dependent on lube. Gotta derate the torque for lube: 100% torque dry, 75% oil or grease, and 50% for wax. Unlike some rifles, there is enough scope base thread engagement [more than 2.5 times the root] in this reciever that the screws will snap off, the female threads will not strip out.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Got mine in. Now, 9.3x62, 375, or 416 Ruger? A 35-375 Ruger would be great too. Mannlicher stock, 20" barrel. Sure would like a Mcwoody in a Mannlicher, anybody ever see McMillan do a Mannlicher?

Sean
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope, never seen one. MPI makes a plastic mannlicher.

Last edited by TC1; 11/15/14. Reason: Typed things I should have only thought to myself.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Went to the 'smiths and picked up the little 400 Whelen this evening, barrel finished out really nice at 23"

With a set of Sunny Hill rings cradling a gloss 1.5-5 Leupold she weighs in a 9 lbs and 5 ounces of pure sweetness. grin

Load development with the 400 gr Woodleighs will take place asap.

Trump Won!
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very cool! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished rifle. .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I put flat bottom Weaver steel S61 bases on the Dumoulin Mauser.
In the rear I had to drill and countersink a hole.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by TC1
Very cool! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished rifle. .

Pics sent to ya Terry, I trimmed the cylindrical brass to 2.490" as is, necked brass down in the 400 Whelen [Petrov] die to a snug on closing fit, locked die at that length, primed, formed, and ready to load cases measure 2.495"

Ran outta daylight for chronoing, but will get to that asap. grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Good for you, Gunner. Looking forward to seeing the rifle.

Sounds like a nice lil thumper!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks MM, thought TC1 may have thrown the pics up by now, he may be off at hunting camp or something. smile

Yes indeed on the "lil thumper," five 400 gr Woodleighs on tap at 2150 could be the very definition of such.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I don't think they've invented the meat that won't get made with that.

I'm kinda done with big azz cases. If ya can't get it done on an 06, or there abouts sized case, it's not the gun, it's the ni$$er on the trigger.

Last edited by MadMooner; 11/21/14.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks MM, thought TC1 may have thrown the pics up by now, he may be off at hunting camp or something. smile

Yes indeed on the "lil thumper," five 400 gr Woodleighs on tap at 2150 could be the very definition of such.

I'm sorry gunner, I've been in Dallas all day today. I'll be home later tonight and will post them then. It's a damn fine looking rifle.

Terry

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Posted for Gunner500. Here is his finished rifle. I'm sure he'll reply with the details. IMO, it's a very nice build.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Very nice.

I got my two actions yesterday; one had a blued bolt (black) one was in the white. I was stunned at how heavy they are, the magazine box has walls that are probably .140" thick! also, what is that red plastic rod through the middle of the trigger? Looks like something to break to me.

Feed ramps are really rough and the lug engagement is not real great. I am going to modify the dovetails to use some other rings rather than add bases that make the scope even higher.

I wonder if any of the pre-fit stocks have bottom metal inletting that works with this metal?

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Very nice!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
rifle looks great gunner!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
HEYY!!!!smile, Many Thanks for posting the pics Terry I appreciate it greatly.

Thanks for the compliments from the rest of you guys too, sorry for the text pics but that's where my "I.T." tech tops out at. grin

I see a bit of bedding material that needs to be relieved a bit back back under the barrel at the front of the stock, also, this stock has a polyurethane finish on it, 'smith said it was hiding some very pretty walnut.

I may have to have it done later in some sort of nice hand rubbed oil finish, but considering the circumstances of car-jacking this stock from a budlaugh, I can't bitch much about it.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Beautiful rifle gunner. Wish I had a bud with a stick like that to strong arm him for.

Looking real hard at a 416 Ruger for mine. Slobbering over a loaded Rigby round seems to have that effect on me.

Sean
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, I too have purchased a bunch of ammo or bullets for a rifle I didn't even own/have built yet. laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Put the little 400 through her paces this morning men, she went a very easy 2255 fps with a 400 gr Woodleigh over 68 gr of CFE-223.

Fired two at 150 yards [only formed 10 rounds of brass] through the 1.5-5x leupold set at 5X, the crosshairs were actually covering the less than 1" green spray can dot and still put 'em a bit over an inch apart.

She's gonna be a chootin' sombuck, just a bit of scope adjustment with a re-check and she'll be ready for all NA game as well as African game up to Elelaugh, what a potent little slugger she is, and all this from an '06 sized case. wink

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
According to my calculations a 400 gr Woodleigh weldcore bullet at 2255 fps yields in excess of 4500 ft lbs of muzzle energy, all this on a measly 68 gr of powder makes this an extremely efficient cartridge.

1.5" high at 100 zeros the bullet at 150 yards, it's only down 4" at 200 yards and still churning along at near 1800 fps, the Woodleigh velocity window recommends from 2200 to 1800 fps for maximum bullet performance.

The 400 [Petrov] Whelen seems to be a very serious little butt-kicker men. wink

Oh, and recoil and noise is very pleasant with this round, especially for what you're delivering downrange.

I did remove my ear plugs and fired one round as if in a hunting situation, as far as muzzle blast is concerned, I found this cartridge to be very pleasant.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
LOL, I too have purchased a bunch of ammo or bullets for a rifle I didn't even own/have built yet. laugh

Haha, close, but was rolling over a 375H&H, 416 Rigby, and a 470 NE in my hands! My buddy is taking the first two to Namibia next May. The 470 is one loaded round he has to drool over!

Those numbers sound great on your 400, and again, great looking rig.

Sean
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, 10-4 Cali, our friend TC1 will post some more pics later tonight. wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
That'll do!

About even, or north of, the factory Jeffery load, no? On a little bitty '06 hull to boot.

Just think what she'd do if you AI'd it! Laffin'! Not sure I could measure the shoulder angle anyway!

Last edited by MadMooner; 11/23/14.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
that's great news gunner. cain't wait to get mine up and running

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another set for Gunner500. Man, I like this rifle!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Many, many Thanks again Terry, hell, I fell like I owe ya a pound or two of powder or a box of bullets. grin

The two bullets were fired at a green dot about a foot higher in the pic, I only bore sighted it by removing the bolt and making the adjustments. blush

Trump Won!
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No problem Gunner. It's been a fun ride hearing about your rifle project and seeing the results. You have a winner.

Terry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great looking rifle and round Gunner, how are you forming your brass, what are you starting with .35 Whelen?

Thanks,
Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You can go ahead and name that rifle Tennessee Pride after that brand of breakfast sausage. Hog killin' mo sheen!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
that's great news gunner. cain't wait to get mine up and running

It's a blast to shoot MB, very nice recoil, plus, I just found about a hunnert and fifty bullets in the classifieds here. grin

Gonna have to save 10 of my formed cases for the 400 gr Solid loads. lmao

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by TC1
No problem Gunner. It's been a fun ride hearing about your rifle project and seeing the results. You have a winner.

Terry

wink, preshade it neighbor.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MadMooner
That'll do!

About even, or north of, the factory Jeffery load, no? On a little bitty '06 hull to boot.

Just think what she'd do if you AI'd it! Laffin'! Not sure I could measure the shoulder angle anyway!

Correct MM, my 9.3-62mm firing a 320 gr Woodleigh at 2400 fps is also a hellacious amount of power from the '06 hull, this 400 Whelen firing the 400's at 2255 with a matching solid load doing the same thing would indeed take care of ANY game animal a man would ever want to hunt.

400 WHELEN A.I. .........................HMMMMMMMMMM????? laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Great looking rifle and round Gunner, how are you forming your brass, what are you starting with .35 Whelen?

Thanks,
Mike

Hey Mike, Thanks for the compliments, I bought Quality cartridge cylindrical 400 Whelen brass, simply necked it down enough as to have a snug on bolt closing fit to keep head-space tight till the round is fired.

Thinking I'll only size 411 thou or bullet diameter of the neck on reloading the new fired cases, that will afford plenty of grip on the bullet.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
You can go ahead and name that rifle Tennessee Pride after that brand of breakfast sausage. Hog killin' mo sheen!

I'm likin' that CT. laugh

Aught to knock hair offa hog, that way we won't have to scrap it. laugh

If I use this rifle on a hog I'll be long on the hunt for a recovered bullet I'm thinking.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excellent Gunner I really dig that rifle!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

If I use this rifle on a hog I'll be long on the hunt for a recovered bullet I'm thinking.

Give your boy Bobby an E tool and let George run the metal detector. It'll save time. I'll try to remember to bring the carbide lanterns. We'll likely have to do some mining.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Many Thanks ROTR, she's gonna be a keeper. wink

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Give your boy Bobby an E tool and let George run the metal detector. It'll save time. I'll try to remember to bring the carbide lanterns. We'll likely have to do some mining.

I will submit request to the Tennessee Department of Mines for trip mining permits. laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have been buying different parts and modifying them to fit.
These modified steel weaver mounts get this 30mm tactical tube center 1.75" above the bore center, which is a typical low mount. The bolt handle just clears this 1.8 x 10 x 37 scope.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Could I get one of you guys that have one of these to measure the max OAL of the box?

Thinking I may want to do a low budget big bore on one. Probably a 458 Win but curious if I could do a 458 Lott without too much work or investment. Preferably using the original box.

Thoughts?

Semper Fi

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Could I get one of you guys that have one of these to measure the max OAL of the box?

Thinking I may want to do a low budget big bore on one. Probably a 458 Win but curious if I could do a 458 Lott without too much work or investment. Preferably using the original box.

Thoughts?

3.400"
It weighs 11 1/8 oz and is made of blue steel, where the PAWS measures 3.408" has a more square front to the ammo space, and made of Aluminum alloy, weighs 3 1/2 oz.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...98-triggerguard-floorplate-prod9718.aspx

[Linked Image]

The 458 Lott is 3.6" long and 0.522" wide.
To calculate the max length while tipping, use the Pythagorean theorem you learned in junior high school.
c = square root [a squared plus b squared]
c = square root [ 0.532"/2 squared plus 3.6" squared]= 3.610"
The front of the magazine well of the Dumoulin is 0.070" thick.
The rear of the magazine well of the Dumoulin is 0.115" thick.
Total thickness = 0.185"
Magazine length potential from milling out = 3.40" + 0.185" = 3.585" with the end milled out to zero thickness.

3.585" mag well milling potential is less than 3.610" 458 Lott needs.

The Dumoulin bottom metal cannot be milled out for the 458 Lott.
You would have to start welding.

But the upper metal is 3.54" from bolt face to feed ramp. The feed ramp would need only a small piece milled off for the 458 Lott.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If anybody needs one let me know. I've got a new one with a set of SunnyHill Q/D mounts I'm going to part with soon.

I was going to use it then ran across a smooth deal on a ZG-47 and when I was squaring away the paperwork on it I was offered a G33/40 at a price I couldn't turn down. crazy I can't keep it all and the Dumoulin has to go.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A little new life to the thread. In the SARCO description of the receiver they say concerning the square bridge feature:

Flat tops are parallel and at the same level.

This being the case might the flat tops be milled to accept vertical Talley steel rings if front and rear rings are of the same height? If so should make a very clean and firm mount.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know if you read ALL of my posts on this thread, but of the many ways of dealing with this, my current main fantasy and hardware for the bulk of the Dumoulin rifles I am working on is:

[Linked Image]
Buy Weaver S45 and S54 blued steel bases.[A quantity just arrived after a 2 month back order.]
Put them upside down in a mill vise clamped with a pair of modified V blocks.

[Linked Image]
Mill the concave bottom shape of the base until flat.

[Linked Image]
My Weaver two piece base installation procedure: Lightly attach the bases to the rifle with 6-48 screws trimmed to the appropriate length. Clamp both bases in an AR15 riser for colinear alignment, so there will be no ring lapping. Firmly tighten 6-48 screws.
Clamp Weaver rings to the bases. Check that a scope, with the reticle adjusted to the center of the scope tube, bore sights, or points 20 moa low as desired.

This will get the low scope height.
It does not make use of the 15mm and 17mm dovetails on the receiver.
But it will be basically the same type of scope mount system as a Win M70, Rem 700 or Sav 110.

Of a number of things I tried, this has the advantage of requiring very low skill and effort of mill operation.
It turns out that drilling at an exact x-y spot and then countersinking to an exact z depth is a lot of work, and prone to error.
The S45 and S54 bases already have the screw holes lined up for the Dumoulin and the countersinks are at the right depth. So I make these S45 & S54 base modifications while wearing my dumb monkey hat.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, I read thru most of your posts. I have no doubt your solution will work, but for me it seems the modification of Weaver bases to fit the square bridges is putting bases on top of bases. Obviously the manufacturer intended rings to be attached directly to the square bridges as one option. Unfortunately rings to fit the square bridge seem to be limited in type and availability. It's starting to look like the cleanest possibilities are to either machine the bridges to accept readily available rings or machine away the bridges to match the scope mounting surfaces of commercial 98 style actions. It's not easy being a Looney.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not just use the SunnyHill mounts? I think they look pretty nice. They are well built too.

[Linked Image]

Duane Weibe did one of these some time back and milled the action for Talley's. To me it didn't look right. .the narrow dovetail just didn't look right to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Your barrel and entire rifle is exquisite. cool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I had one of the Dumoulin triggers fail on me today, so I had to figure out how it works.

My trigger spring got stuck in the trigger spring adjustment screw female threads... probably from my sawdust and screwing it in too far when playing with it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Will these actions take an Alaskan Arms M70-type trigger made for a Mauser action?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Dumoulin is a standard 3mm 98 Mauser trigger mount, like all the ones built over the last 117 years.

I just put a $38 Bold [Boyds] PR-98 Premium Trigger trigger on and it works fine. That has no safety, but the Dumoulin bolt has a Win M70 type three position safety, so I don't need or want one on the trigger. I adjusted it down to 2 pounds.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
574 members (10gaugeman, 12308300, 160user, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 2,668 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.