Print Thread
Hop To
C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Yesterday I stumbled on more than 50 complete years of american rifleman all in binders I have not had a chance to go through them yet but they look to start in 1942 all addressed to the same person no less, if you are looking for a particular article I maybe able to scan it for you

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Wow, Chris! What a find!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've thought for some time that there should be a sticky where pertinent scanned info could be placed. What a great find!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the offer!

If you could post any articles written specifically about the Savage 250-3000 or the model 1920, I for one would really appreciate reading articles about that caliber and rifle.

Last edited by olgrouser; 08/19/14.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have every issue of AR since 1928, possibly short a couple. The twenties and thirties are bound in homemade looking binders. The advantage to that is that every issue is intact; the bound volumes that were obtainable from the NRA at the end of the year had only one complete issue, the last few pages, advertising and the classifieds, were removed from the other issues. The NRA also sold binders you could preserve your copies in; those would be complete. If anyone coming to the Fest wants to talk about a new home for them, I am open to moving them on.

IC B2

C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
looking last night there was an article on the 250-3000 one on the 300 another comparing the 300 and 308 did not see anything about the 1920 in the little I glanced at. I thought $100 for the works seemed pretty fair? A ton of old reloading and gunsmithing info noticed a number of articles on the garand and m1 carbine. Seems the 1955 set started with the f being offered in 2 calibers 250 and 300 and later in the year being offered in 3 adding the 308.

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I do envy that find - well worth a hunert bucks!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CTW

That'll give you something to do on a rainy day or three! It's interesting to see the changes in the magazine through the decades. I have a couple from the 20's and the ads aren't as noticeable it seems to me.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd be interested in the article on reloading the .300 Savage. I'd have to do some looking, to see what the date was. I had the copy of the magazine, but the article was torn out!

Thanks,

Jim

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
If you can get the date it should not be a problem to scan it and email you, providing I have it.
The guys that had the stith ziess set up there is an article about scoping and using scopes in the dec 1944 issue one of the picts is a pretty nice r with the set up on it.

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ctw
If you can get the date it should not be a problem to scan it and email you, providing I have it.
The guys that had the stith ziess set up there is an article about scoping and using scopes in the dec 1944 issue one of the picts is a pretty nice r with the set up on it.

I think Angus1895 John might want to see that stith article...

LOL
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by ctw

I think Angus1895 John might want to see that stith article...

Not anymore than I would!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have every issue from 1948 to date. The funny thing that stands out to me, is how litigation has changed what makes it into the magazine. There was a monthly how to article, I forget if that was the "Dope Bag", or something else. But, in the articles after WWII they acted like every one had a Bridgeport Mill in the basement. They told how to heat a bolt handle on an 03A3, and turn it down, to put a scope on it. They had another one on how to cut the bolt handle off an 03A3, cut a notch in the receiver, and weld the handle back on to make it a lefty. Now you are lucky if they will tell you how to lift a dent in the stock with an iron and damp cloth. If you remember the back page prior to the gun control act of 68, all of the mail order guns. I found one that I couldn't believe. It was an 80 cal, 10 round detachable box magazine, semi auto, anti tank rifle. I think it was in an issue from 1956, because that was the year I was born. I also seem to remember it was quite pricey, maybe something like $1500. That's around the time my Dad bought his 03 for $12. They are fun to read. I've always thought I'd try to read an issue a week, once I retire, until I've read them all, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It sounds like they encouraged people to bubba guns, like the one leaning against the dead elk in my thumbnail. Of course no one knew some of use would be collecting these guns 50-60 years later. My uncle bubba-ed one of those 03's in the late 50's. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Springfield Sporters built one of the largest fire arms importing businesses in the world sportsterizing 03's. The only bolt gun I think I would put on my all time want list would be a 275 Rigby on a pre WWII Mauser action, made by Rigby, of course. But, I don't know if I could call a pre war Rigby custom Bubba-ed. But, you are right. They didn't call it bubbatized, the end result was the same, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen some really nice customized military guns but my uncle's was not one of them. I'm probably not that interested in them because I shoot left-handed which is one of the reasons I got interested in 99's when I started hunting.
Getting back to the subject of the National Rifleman's gun modifying I think I remember articles about such things as drilling and tapping for scope mounts and cutting down stocks and installing recoil pads. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think I'll pull some of the older ones out and skim through them. If I remember correctly, they went way beyond what would be considered novice gunsmithing. But, that was a generation of people that did what they wanted to do. Like Burt Monro, making cylinder jugs out of cast sewer pipe and casting pistons in a coffee can, then running 200MPH on the flats. I'm sure a lot of stuff didn't work out, but, dog gone, they tried. Look for a synopsis of some of the interesting or funny ones in the future, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 75 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.