Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Montana Hunting License Revenue Falls Short $3.3M

Nonresident hunting licenses failed to sell out before the application deadline for the fourth consecutive year, leading the state to offer the remaining licenses up on a first-come, first-served basis.

In 2010, a ballot initiative significantly raised prices for nonresident big game licenses. Before 2010, FWP instituted a lottery system as many more nonresident hunters applied than the state had licenses available.

Under the new prices in 2011, licenses undersold during the application period for the first time, although all the licenses were eventually sold, said Ron Aasheim, FWP administrator.

In 2012 and 2013, FWP did not sell all of the surplus licenses, and it remains to be seen if the state can sell the surplus this year.

Montana offers about 17,000 big game combination licenses and 6,600 deer combination licenses to nonresident hunters. As of Friday afternoon, more than 1,700 big game combos, nearly 1,700 elk combos and more than 550 deer combos remained.

The total undersold licenses amount to more than $3.3 million in potential revenue for FWP. Montana sells the big game combination license for $971, the elk combination license for $821 and the deer combo for $575.

FWP is considering asking the Legislature for the first fee increase to several hunting and fishing licenses since 2005, citing a $1.24 million budget shortfall.

Although several factors contributed to the shortfall, underselling licenses was �part of the issue,� Aasheim said.

Montana is below an 11 state average for resident fishing licenses and all resident hunting licenses except wolf. Nonresident hunting licenses are above the average for black bear, deer, elk, mountain lion and upland game bird, but below average for moose, mountain goat, antelope, bighorn sheep, turkey, wolf and most fishing licenses.

Montana�s big game archery season runs Sept. 6�Oct. 19; and the general rifle big game season runs Oct. 25�Nov. 30.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Good. They finally found out what folks are willing to pony up. Let the locals pony up now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lack of money is most likely the reason, the recession is no were near over with, let alone any sort of economic growth!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
FWP wants more money? For what? In the part of the state I frequent, there are so few animals that it wouldn't take much of a staff to 'manage' them. I'd not want to pay if I was an out-of-stater either. I skipped on a cow or doe tag this year because the chances didn't look good around the time it came time to put up money. Talking to a few FWP employees at a checking station last year, they are spending a bunch of money hiring people to kill specific packs of wolves for killing livestock. What they haven't done is get a handle on the number of elk and deer the wolves have killed.

The whole affair pisses me off so bad that smoke starts coming out of my ears. And now that populations are so low in many areas, of course they aren't going to attract big-dollar spenders.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That's always a great idea no matter the product.....slow moving inventory gets a price increase.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Bwaahahahahahahaah! Remember now, this ain't the private sector.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
That's always a great idea no matter the product.....slow moving inventory gets a price increase.

That was my thought exactly. They want to increase prices? That should help sell more licenses crazy
I don't know how much truth is in the article.

Some people, such as myself will pay whatever we have to, but I doubt raising prices (for residents or nonresidents) will get the FWP their desired revenue. Montana is already expensive enough for deer and elk. I wouldn't doubt it actually lowers their total revenue.

Regardless, I buy the deer combo every year. The elk combo...not so much. I hunt the Bitterroot, and don't remember the last elk I saw in the back country there. There's quite a few mule deer there though.

Last edited by Dog_Hunter; 08/18/14. Reason: clarify

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Good. They finally found out what folks are willing to pony up. Let the locals pony up now.

Happy to do so!

I'm good with keeping the non-res tags high and raising the res tags. Res tags are crazy cheap, I'd pay double what they are and not complain.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes

Happy to do so!

I'm good with keeping the non-res tags high and raising the res tags. Res tags are crazy cheap, I'd pay double what they are and not complain.

Being MT is in the hole $3M, it's pretty obvious most residents don't feel the same way you do.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes

Happy to do so!

+1

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
JGR Revenue is down 3.3 mil�..a drop in the bucket to MT Fish Wildlife and Parks, I believe one of very few agencies to have a budget surplus every year. They are all about the almighty dollar, trust me. Managing game�.not so much�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
how about letting us residents buy a second deer or elk tag at non resident prices like idaho dose, i would buy a second deer tag every year

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The deer are at a massive low in population! The last thing they need to do is sell more tags! What they need to do is put them on a draw in the whole eastern third of the state before the hunting is destroyed and not after.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'd like to see first year hunters be able to buy an over the counter tag but after that have it on a draw system.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mudhen: I predicted this very thing would happen back when the Montana Department of Fish and Game BECAME the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and PARKS!
Indeed the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and PARKS has become a greenassed entity of which I don't have a fraction of the respect I used to have for that governmental agency.
They could care less about fish and game and maintaining healthy poupulations of such - they are now a money collecting and money stirring agency - nothing more, nothing less!
And thats a shame!
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by laker
I'd like to see first year hunters be able to buy an over the counter tag but after that have it on a draw system.

Agreed!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if montana is gonna sell the non resident tags to non residents, and the nonresidents dont buy them, residents might as well have a crack at that pool of tags at non resident prices, montana gets the revenue,, residents get more opportunity if they wish,,,

montana decided not to sell doe tags this year in lots of region 6 and 7 there is another bite out of the budget they will complain about,
if you guys want a draw system for tags move to nevada or arizona and wait for years for a tag, montana provides lots of access as well as opportunity for us residents that i wouldnt want to change,
after the first year a kid draws a tag i would hate to see kids waiting 2-10 years to get a second tag to hunt, talk about not providing opportunity to the next generation of hunters that will make decisions for us as hunters,,

i would gladly give up my over the counter general license and go to a draw system if every kid from 10-21 years old gets a buck tag every year,

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
An OTC tag every year for residents doesn't do a damn bit of good if there's no deer.

MAGA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The problem with gov't entities like FWP is that when they do a shytty job, they don't and can't get fired by those they answer to, their customers, like in a free market private enterprise.

F&G depts have been mucking it up in several places across the country, yet they still collect paychecks, and dept revenue for it. Incorporated gov't is the worst way to do almost everything.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not set quotas for all 7 regions and make them a draw. I never understood a statewide tag. How can you control the population if a hunter can hunt wherever he wants?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
732 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 75 invisible), 2,973 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.