Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Howdy gents! Been drinking Scotch for a good while and am in love with Glen 12 year as well as others. Stuff is rather pricey for the amount My friends and I drink so I'm looking for a cheaper alternative for the in between drinking. What are my options? I have drank famous grouse but have kind of lost the taste for it as of late. What else is out there? Thanks

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Drink the other guys' scotch. I do.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
It's hard to go down in price (therefore quality). Just My own personal experience with cigars, scotch and other finer things in life. Good luck in your quest!

LMBH
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
Drink the other guys' scotch. I do.
laugh

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MCSO1357
It's hard to go down in price (therefore quality). Just My own personal experience with cigars, scotch and other finer things in life. Good luck in your quest!
Kind of what I was thinking but I'm hoping there is something serviceable out there that I'm not aware of.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Howdy gents! Been drinking Scotch for a good while and am in love with Glen 12 year as well as others. Stuff is rather pricey for the amount My friends and I drink so I'm looking for a cheaper alternative for the in between drinking. What are my options? I have drank famous grouse but have kind of lost the taste for it as of late. What else is out there? Thanks

Glenlevit or Glenfiddich or generic store brand Glen?

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Buy some cheaper version and pour it in the empty bottle of the high dollar brand and see if they notice smile

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
ill take a leap, and suggest a blended scotch whiskey. Banknote is relatively new in my area and runs less than $20 for a 750ml. Not true scotch, but decent for regular fare. Not to be confused with a fine scotch, but reasonable. Dont jump the messenger.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Costco brand

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
One of my long ago bosses drank Glen at home, Dewars on the road.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by fish head

Glenmorangie I hope, smooth fire there. wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter

Glenlevit of course

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[/quote]

Glenmorangie I hope, smooth fire there. wink [/quote]

My favorite. There are a lot I like, but Glenmorangie seems to like me back. laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bourbon. A good bourbon is a lot less than a comparable scotch.

I wish I had realized that years ago.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I found Old Pultney this summer and really enjoy it. Not extreme price wise.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500

Glenmorangie I hope, smooth fire there. wink

Glenmorangie is my personal favorite with Glenfiddich right up there.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For cheap, genuine Scotch, listen to Vern. I have an inside into Kirkland Scotch, and it IS the real deal, and priced a la Costco. Not a bad way to go if labels don't concern you.

Honestly, I am not sure which Glen 12 you like, but I would say in the Scotch world there isn't much real quality significantly cheaper, and a whole lot that's pricier, and considerably better, subjectivity of palates being assumed from the git.

I'd stay away from, say, Macallan Cask Strength, or Oban 15, or Glenfarclas 21 if you favor Highland, or any Laphroaig, Lagavulin 16, Ardbeg Ultimate, and ESPECIALLY Ardbeg Uigeadail, assuming you swing Islay, if you plan on saving a few bucks.

Just a fair bit of warning there. whistle

Trust me. You do NOT want to sample any of those!

BTW, I hear tell the Glenlivet 15 French Oak Finish is aming the best of Glenlivet's entire lineup, at any sane price, and it can be found here and there at Glen 12 prices or thereabouts.

Again, this is simply fair warning as to what to watch out for. You've been warned.

smile

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You dirty bastid! You know someone is going to try one of those!

Which do you suppose goes best on a moose hunt?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Kirkland brand 18 and 20 are great singlemalts, very reasonably priced for the quality, but they are not really assertive enough for singlemalt kind-a-sewers.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
With Scotch I believe you get what you pay for mostly.

Last time I was in buying the shop owner recommended "Teachers" as a cheaper alternative to my fav. I didn't buy it but it may be worth a try.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.