Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was looking to replace my freestanding 2 man tent with a lighter more adaptable system. I have yet to use a tent with another person for quite some time but do prefer the 2 man space as an option for a single person. The room to weight ratio just wins every time.

I was looking at a tarp setup but in the humid south really need the bug protection as bugs are a problem most of the year. I wasn't happy with the hanging bug nets that were floor-less because going floor-less in the humid areas can still leave you with crawlies in your sleeping area.

I decided on the little bug out system for 3 or 4 reasons.
It eliminates needing tent poles
It doesn't require trees
It has the larger vestibule detachable leaving you with a 1lb base you can use alone or with a bivy if needed.
It had a great bug system design that is removable. I didn't go with a tarp only because it seemed that I was going to do more reverse engineering to meet all my needs potentially than just trying the LBO.

So far I can say I am very happy. The vestibule means you can get out of the weather and still keep your boots on to do things and not track dirt into your enclosed area when using the bug nest.

I also was looking for a system that would allow me to stash away my bug area some. I can do this with the LBO by sliding the nest back and folding it into itself. When I'm ready to use it you simply attach the cordage to the 2 stakes up by the front and pull the nest up with another piece of cordage. Your not locked into using the space or not. This could be done a different way but so far I'm happy with the adaptability of this system.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nest out of the way.
[Linked Image]

Open view in the morning is also a perk!!
[Linked Image]

This shows the vestibule attached with both doors open.
[Linked Image]

The solutions to sheltering problems seem almost endless when your trying to decide what to go with. I may change to a different solution to the sheltering problems such as weight to space ratio, adaptability of the system and usable bug space but for now this will work great.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like the looks of that for a solo shelter! Very well done. Good luck putting it to use.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I do not quite understand why the SO tent systems (like the LBO, BS-2, BT-2 etc.) are not any more popular with outdoors folks.

It has the flexibility to go from open forester tarp setup to a fully enclosed tipi with stove and have a bugnet system. I think a lot of it has to do with folks not being able to wrap their brain around the flexibility of the design. To me, it totally outclasses any system out there and it should be considered the new "classic" that replaces the Whelen tarp.

Your pics really show how one can get from one to the other and the modularity of the system. Ya also need a pic with a stove in it and the all the sides zipped in. Heck you need a full video showing how to go from one setup to the other.

Very nice pics!

Last edited by alukban; 08/18/14.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
DUDE! That's what I have been looking for. I am currently using a tarp tent made from a canvas drop cloth that I made that is shaped like the tent you have there. I use camo netting for bug net but its a pain to get it right. That thing is sweeeeeeet. I bet its pricey ain't it?

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Prices are on the seekoutside website. Not too fbsd when you price it composited to other options.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Great write up and pictures. Been looking at that setup on their website, and you answered most of my questions/concerns. Thanks, but you'll probably end up costing me money!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Reminds me a LOT of our paratipi with a nest inside.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by rost495
Reminds me a LOT of our paratipi with a nest inside.

If you look at the other modules available for this system, you'll see that the difference IS the modularity. It's not just variable pitching options and an added annex. It's friggin' expandable and connectable. laugh

http://seekoutside.com/products/ultralight-tipis/little-bug-out-shelter/

It's really neat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by alukban; 08/20/14.
blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I need to try setting it up like a traditional tarp by using the handle if a trekking pole in the rear someplace. If I can get that working I'll have a do all for my needs.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was trying to find the LBO set up like a tarp using 2 trekking poles only before I got one so I thought if post up my attempt at setting it up as a shelter using only 2 trekking poles and no vestibule. This would be a palace with a bivy tossed in to protect your bag and still have room to stash your gear and cook and whatnot. It's not the optimal setup but much more roomy than a smaller tarp in an A Frame setup.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
467 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 46 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.