-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are many fine custom bows out there, for a production bow I am partial to Martin's / Damon Howatt's.

GB1

R
R
If you buy a Nano you better buy a extra set! Both of the Nano's I have been around have had the limbs came unlaminated. The customer service is the worst I have ever heard of !! The bow is made by Win & Win and is a great bow when they are working, and their WARRANTY is not worth the paper it's written on!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an old colt in about 45# range......as smooth as their single actions IMO.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Get your ILF limbs from Lancasters. They have excellent CS. I've used it twice and it was beyond expectation.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Boy have I been out of touch with this stuff. I'd have said Great Northern, Bighorn or Dick Robertson.

Oldies but goodies!

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hunters Niche Predator recurves would be one to look at. Tried them years ago and would buy one if I was in the market for a new bow

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Boy have I been out of touch with this stuff. I'd have said Great Northern, Bighorn or Dick Robertson.

Oldies but goodies!

Still very much goodies.
And less tinkering.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sometimes tinkering can be a good thing. You don't have to continually tinker with it. You set things the way that works best for you and leave it alone.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with the Black Widow choice. Good track record over time, if buying new only about 8wks wait and plenty of good one's used for sale. Also you pretty much know what your're going to get for your money and they stand behind their bows.

Only problem I have with them is they don't make a 64" PTF. 62" is the limit on it.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick,
There are plenty of good bows available today.

What is your main use going to be? Hunting? competition? Both? Are you going to shoot instinctive? with sights?

My view is strictly from a hunting perspective, if you are mainly wanting one for competition I would follow RH's advice.
The ILF styles work for hunting, but I prefer the KISS theory.

If are looking for some economy, Samick is a very good entry level bow. I helped coach a kid to 4H nationals with a Samick Sage this year and have a another newbie bowhunter all set up and ready to go with a Samick DeerMaster. There is some initial tuning and set up with any bow. But those Samick's have been bomb proof for them.

But the best advice I can give you is to find a place to where you can shoot multiple bows. A big Traditional shoot or a shop like RMS Gear in Arvada Colorado. Black Widow and a few other bowyers have "test" drive programs where you can try a bow for the cost of shipping.

My goto hunting bows anymore are my selfbows and three piece hybrid longbows. My take downs hardly ever get taken down. But it is very nice feature when traveling.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
CRS
I don't disagree with you at all but don't think that you have to tinker with an ILF. It can be just as simple as any take down bow.

I do like that I can adjust the tiller since I like zero tiller for my three under shooting, and I like that I can tweek preload if I am just on the edge of tuned with a particular arrow and point combo, or if I have a longer draw and want a the draw force curve to max out at my draw length.

If you like to tweek and have an ILF, you probably will tweek it but it can be just as simple as any take down, except that you don't need a wrench to take it apart or put it together.

I like the versatility and that I can shoot lighter faster arrows for targets or heavier for hunting. I don't know of any other system that will stay together with a steady diet of arrows as light as 5gpp. I can only get my arrows to about 6gpp and be legal tip weight where I shoot , but I still get 215 fps from my ILF 3D bow.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by CRS
Rick,

What is your main use going to be? Hunting? competition? Both? Are you going to shoot instinctive? with sights?

My view is strictly from a hunting perspective, if you are mainly wanting one for competition I would follow RH's advice.

If are looking for some economy, Samick is a very good entry level bow. I helped coach a kid to 4H nationals with a Samick Sage this year and have a another newbie bowhunter all set up and ready to go with a Samick DeerMaster. There is some initial tuning and set up with any bow. But those Samick's have been bomb proof for them.

But the best advice I can give you is to find a place to where you can shoot multiple bows. A big Traditional shoot or a shop like RMS Gear in Arvada Colorado. Black Widow and a few other bowyers have "test" drive programs where you can try a bow for the cost of shipping.

My goto hunting bows anymore are my selfbows and three piece hybrid longbows. My take downs hardly ever get taken down. But it is very nice feature when traveling.

thanks for the comment. That being sad this ain't new to me smile

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My advice; Go to a good archery store that handles a good variety of bows new and used. Find one you like and buy it. Simple as that.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Originally Posted by CRS
Rick,

thanks for the comment. That being sad this ain't new to me smile

Yeah, I missed the post where you said you had been shooting Widows for years. crazy I think you should try a static tip recurve if you want to stick with recurves. To me, they almost have a slight let off at full draw.

Bigfoot, Toelke or RER come to mind.

R H,
Can you get static tip limbs for ILF risers?

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There are many different ILF limbs. They are some of the most technologically advanced limbs made in the world. They are not built on wooden forms in some guys garage like a lot of custom bows. Not to say that all those bows are crap, or that single shops can't produce some very good bows but they just don't have the $$$ for R&D like the big boys.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
They are not built on wooden forms in some guys garage like a lot of custom bows.

Now that's funny!

The only negative that I see with ILF limbs is that most all the manufactures out there; match their limbs via a weight/bend test. In other words they are not true matched limbs. Your 45 pound limbs you buy may not have even been built the same day let alone come off the same form. Different quality control between the major company's yield different quality. Right now I'd say W&W are tops, with Samick coming in a very close second.

Some of the best limbs I've ever had the opportunity to shoot were some old SKY Archery (Earl Hoyt era) maple core & glass Conquest limbs. I personally don't like the feel of foam cores & carbon. And hate the ring from carbon.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375
They are not built on wooden forms in some guys garage like a lot of custom bows.

Now that's funny!

The only negative that I see with ILF limbs is that most all the manufactures out there; match their limbs via a weight/bend test. In other words they are not true matched limbs. Your 45 pound limbs you buy may not have even been built the same day let alone come off the same form. Different quality control between the major company's yield different quality. Right now I'd say W&W are tops, with Samick coming in a very close second.

Some of the best limbs I've ever had the opportunity to shoot were some old SKY Archery (Earl Hoyt era) maple core & glass Conquest limbs. I personally don't like the feel of foam cores & carbon. And hate the ring from carbon.

While there are some very high quality custom bows being made, we both know that there are many just as I mentioned, made by some guy who decided to get into the business and made a form and started making "custom bows". I've known a few of them myself.

I would agree with your assessment of limbs except that I can't hear any difference between my Samick Masters which are maple cores and carbon face, and my glass limbs. My Winnex limbs with foam cores do have a bit of a different sound.

As far as being perfectly matched, I don't see it as important on a bow where tiller is adjustable as on a fixed takedown.

I do not however blame you for being a bit defensive. You make an excellent bow that would be at the top of my list for a non ILF.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 08/19/14.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know some guys building stuff in their "garages" that absolutely blow away mass production..even with quality control. cool

Last edited by CRS; 08/19/14.

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by CRS
I know some guys building stuff in their "garages" that absolutely blow away mass production..even with quality control. cool

Then they better slap some ILF fittings on them since they would have the market completely cornered with limbs that blow away the competition.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I do not however blame you for being a bit defensive.

RH please don't misunderstand my "Now that's funny" as being defensive. Cause I certainly did not mean to come across as defensive. I really thought that was funny!

"As far as being perfectly matched, I don't see it as important on a bow where tiller is adjustable." Funny how most company/sponsored shooters actually request matched limbs...at least they used to back when I was making a run at an Olympic spot.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,706
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.