Print Thread
Hop To
P
P_Weed Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

Does anyone make synthetic stocks for my Ruger #1's?

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lee Six used to, I think, but he's gone.

I've seen a few synthetics of unknown origin on used No.1s, but never one I liked.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not every change constitutes an improvement all the time.

That said - MPI's thumbhole fiberglass option might be worth a look...

http://www.mpistocks.com/thumbholeruger.htm

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bell & Carson makes an ungainly (IMO) set. The MPI is much nicer and more expensive.

But I still don't understand how anyone could think that a synthetic stock set is an "improvement" for a No. 1 confused

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's like pulling the wire wheels off of ones XKE Jag and installing mag wheels.

1Minute
IC B2

J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I do almost all of my hunting with my pair of #1s. I had my then nearly new 300 WM on a Kobuk River float hunt. Absolutely brutal weather for many days, nothing was dry and I then decided on a synthetic stock.

I have 1 of the B&C stocks. It is OK, but I don't like it that much and am thinking of putting the wood back on this year. My complaint is that the wrist is really thick. I have made 6 1 shot kills on elk with it in a row, so I guess it works OK.

I might sell it...

Last edited by JRK; 08/20/14. Reason: cant spell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The B&C stock is not a thing of beauty, but it's "function before form" for me as I actually take this rifle out into the coastal Alaska wilderness. I actually broke my 1B forend when I slipped on some ice and the rifle went flying.

The stock needs more drop on the comb and the butt needs to be a good 1.5" lower to fit me well, but I have serious neck issues.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I sprung the forend hanger, bedded the forearm and screw inlet area. I took several hours with the dremel to ensure that the forearm did not contact the receiver. These were the biggest improvements to accuracy.

And the screw insert in the butt were a complete joke. One was off center, and the other pulled out when the pad screw was tightened.

[Linked Image]

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
The B&C stock is not a thing of beauty,...

Understatement!

whistle
DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK, here's my idea of improvement,soon to be finished....300H&H I am coping a Jeffery single-shop,rounded wood,no flared panels,checkering will start next week!
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by rifle; 08/21/14.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have owned a handful of #1's over the years and short of getting into pretty wood cheap they really offered nothing over a proper bolt rifle (or lever gun in the case of my 45-70's) if hunting is the primary reason for owning said rifle.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Much is often made of a SS as being a purist's gun, who plans to make only one shot at game. But there are practical advantages, too. I will contend the #1 (or any other single shot) gives you the best chance at the best first shot out of a rifle.

1. shorter OAL for a given barrel length - or keep the OAL and have a longer barrel
2. Bullets can be any desired shape, without worrying about feeding out of a magazine, or setting off a chain fire in a tubular magazine
3. Bullet seating has more flexibility - no need to stay within mag lengths
4. Action strength can be an advantage, within safe load limits, of course.

The intangible issues of course, would be finding moderately priced rifles with spectacular wood, tuning for better accuracy, which brings its own satisfaction, and yes, collecting interesting variations.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have overloaded a lot of guns to see what happens, and for failed case heads, the break action Handi rifle and the falling block Ruger #1 are head and shoulders above my bolt actions; M70, Rem700, Sav 110, 98 Mauser. The single shots are better in strength and in gas escapement. The rolling block, not so much.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are also very quiet to load and reload, which can come in handy, especially if you should happen to m-m-miss.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund
Bell & Carson makes an ungainly (IMO) set. The MPI is much nicer and more expensive.

But I still don't understand how anyone could think that a synthetic stock set is an "improvement" for a No. 1 confused

Get caught in a really heavy rain storm some time and you will wish the stock was a synthetic. Ruger does a really pizzpoor job of sealing the interior of their stocks, be they #1's or M77's. In fact, the ones I have have no sealing whatsoever.
Prime example, I was doing an elk hunt out of John Day Oregon and got nailed by one hell of a rain storm. I heard that the John Day airport recorded 120 MPH winds but I guess I was on the right side of the mountain so no problem other than being totally soaked even with good rain gear. After the hunt we spent the night on a game preserve ranch in King's River Nevada and did a short pheasant hunt. During that hunt a coyote was running off with a pheasant and my rifle was the only one close at hand as I was hoping for a shot at a coyote. I got off three shots at hat yote and never touched it. There were four of us there and no one could see where my shots went. Rife was a Ruger #1B in .300 Win. Mag. BTW and when I got home here in Tucson, and getting a day off from work I took the gun to the range. THe bullets were hitting over the target frame and about six feet high from point of aim. To this day I wonder where in hell those bullets landed. On close inspection I found the wood had swelled up so much that I had difficuly removing it. I made sure everything was well oiled and put the wood out in my reloading shed. It gets quite hot in there especially in the summer and after several trys decided to put the wood on the rifle once a year until it shot as it should, that is if it ever got back to that level. It took that wood a bit over six years to thoroughly dry out to where it would shoot even close to where it had originally been sighted. I have a few Ruger M77s, all in synthetic stocks. I haven't found a synthetic that I like for the #1's and to replace the stocks would cost a young fortune as I collect them. I have 20 Ruger #1 rifles in various models and weather permitting I hunt them. If it looks like rain though, they stay home.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Get caught in a really heavy rain storm some time and you will wish the stock was a synthetic."

It takes a little time, but all you need to do is seal the areas that the factory doesn't seal. I've never seen any modern factory wood stock, no matter what the action type, that was sealed on all of the inside surfaces. Just do it yourself, and go hunt! I've had my No.1's in plenty of rain here in Alaska, and have never had any issues. As a matter of fact, I've lived/hunted here going on 30 years, and there's not a single synthetic stocked long gun in my safe. I'm sure that a synthetic stock is the more practical choice for a wet environment, but I like wood, and don't mind putting forth the effort to use them in nasty conditions. JMHO.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Improving the #1"

"Does anyone make synthetic stocks for my Ruger #1's?"

Does it make me a #1 snob to observe that the opening question is completely off topic?

smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They do make stainless & laminated #1's as well smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

P
P_Weed Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Bill Poole
"Improving the #1"

"Does anyone make synthetic stocks for my Ruger #1's?"

Does it make me a #1 snob to observe that the opening question is completely off topic?

smile

No, that hardly makes you a '#1 snob' - for only observing the obvious ...
I only have two Ruger #1 rifles, a RSI full stock, 243 Win. and a Medium Sporter, 300 Win. Mag.
Both treasures and favorite firearms.

My 'Improvement' post was intentional absurdity or just stupid -
But all the thoughtful and considerate responses, I find are humbly insightful and informative.

There is a lot of 'class' expressed here ... I hope some of it rubs off! smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
726 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,167 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,749
Posts18,401,306
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.