Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Haven't killed anything yet with this one, but hopefully, a wild hog will be on the agenda soon.
Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
30-30 vs 35 REM, I wonder how many bars fights this has started in PA?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i have one of those SS LTD 35's too. seriously nice rifles. my son has taken it over and i am back to using my 336D when i am in the mood for a 35 lever hunt.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Todd_Bradford
That's about the biggest "old wives tale" out there. I sold my .35 after killing enough deer with it to reach the conclusion that it just wasn't quite as effective as my .30-30 and that all the gun pundits who praised it for it's superior killing power throughout the years were just plain full-o-chit .

A 35 caliber, 200 grain bullet moving at essentially the same speed as a lighter and smaller 30-30 bullet "less" effective? Holy defies physics Batman!

I have owned and used both the 30-30 and a 35 Remington. The 35 has consistently put animals down faster and with better blood trails. In fact I would say that the 30-30 is "THE CALIBER" for any skilled tracker looking for a supreme challenge. Never spent so much time searching for deer without a blood trail in my life.
Well Todd, I've killed nigh on 70 deer with the .30-30 and 15 with the .35 and I beg to differ. No question the .30-30 has put them on the ground quicker for me on average, given similar shot placement. Velocity isn't the same between the two {actual chronographed factory load speeds run about 1950 for 200 gr .35's, 2300 for 150 gr. 30-30's and 2100 for the 170's all out of 20" barreled Marlin 336's} and in my experience, the .30-30's bullets just plain expand better/ more dependably {particularly at longer distances}. Blood trails have rarely been needed for me when using the .30-30, as it's been a fairly rare thing for deer to make it out of sight after being well hit. On the few occasions when one has, blood trails have always been adequate. I've yet to lose a single deer with the .30-30 and rarely have I had one travel more than 60 yards after being shot. My .35 punched one too many deer through and through, leaving essentially .35 caliber holes in and .35 caliber holes out, with relatively little damage in between.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just answering the op. yes I love the 35 rem. fine cartridge.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RGK,

If you are around central Texas and your S/N is in the 200's, thats likely one of my stolen LTD's. It was stolen in Bexar county. Would be real interested in getting it back if it is. I have police report too. Last lead I had on it was from a truck driver round New Braunfels way a few years back. Most LTD's can be accounted for by me because I own and can account for over half of the limited supply. My LTD fetish can be found under "Jake" from MO site. I simply bought them up.

I agree with Blackheart all the way on the 30-30 -vs- 35 debate. I used to think the 35 would perform better on larger game than a 30-30 but that hasn't held true either. And, yes I've tried everything they make for the 35 including BB. The 30-30 just plain does a better job but the LTD is just a damn nice rifle. I hit deer with 30-30 Winchester Powermax HP and they DRT each and every time. The 150 grain 30-30 HP absolutely does more damage and creates a larger exit wound than any factory or handloaded 35 remington in existance.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 08/20/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd love to know what factory loaded 200gr bullets you use at 1950 fps that do not expand at all. Please, do tell.

I can easily push a 220gr Speer FP over 2000 fps with my 35 Rems. And they expand nicely. 200 gr can be safely pushed to 2200+ fps.

My 30-30 handloads and 35 Rem handloads both run around 2100 fps. With 170gr and 200gr jacketed soft points, respectively. Both mushroom nicely. To say the smaller diameter, lighter bullet did greater damage would be ludicrous.

You may not notice much difference on deer, but the 35 is easily the better choice for anything larger. Especially when handloaded to it's true potential.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
The 150 grain 30-30 HP absolutely does more damage and creates a larger exit wound than any factory or handloaded 35 remington in existance.

This one deserves framing......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've killed more game and non-game animals in one year with the 35 and 30-30 than most folks will in three lifetimes. Frame it if you want, but the Powermax 30-30 is the one to beat right now and the 35 with Leve-E doesn't do as well.

I'm not dissing the 35 rem, no human owns more of them than I do. The 35 doesn't work as good as the 30-30, even on larger game.

The 30-30 Powermax is clocking 2315 out of a 20", goes slam through a 240lb whitetail with an average larger than golf ball exit wound. All of mine have been DRT, no frag, and no recovered projectile. The 35 is no match.

The 35 is in the neighborhood of 44 magnum velocity, but won't out perform the 44 at modest range. Thats a whole nudder subject though.

I don't bother handloading the 35 because the Leverevolution is as good it gets, and Buff Bore 220 if you need it. A fella can get by just fine with a 35 rem and those two ammo selections.

Some cult 35 Rem followers view it as mystical, it ain't. The 336SS-LTD is mystical.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 08/26/14.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have both a 35 Remington and a 30-30 in Marlin 336's. Both good shooters too. I have mostly used both on feral hogs and have to say the 35 provides way better blood trails than the 30-30 on them. However I have recovered more bullets from the hogs hit with the 30-30 than the 35. I have not used factory loads on anything from either rifle in years and personally feel the 220 gr. Speer loaded to top book velocities as a step up from the 30-30.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've recovered more off hide standard 30-30 bullets than 35 but,thats it. Every hog I've popped with powermax dies on the spot, most blowning a substaintial exit hole, bigger in diameter than the 35. If the 35 is mystical to someone, they should indeed use it.

Its a debate that I sincerely hope continues, at least another century.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It sounds to me that you believe the 30-30 to be "mystical". Not the other way around. When someone brags up a cartridge and starts talking about things that defy physics and simply makes noo sense, well, I think that is what they call a "fanboy" around here.

The 35 can be pushed as fast as a 30-30 only with LARGER bullets. That is a FACT. It also penetrates as well or better. That is a FACT. It also makes a bigger hole. Another FACT. If you want to argue with that, go ahead. I'll stick with reality.

Also, if yu are simply using deer (especially puny southern deer) or small hogs as your only test medium, maybe you nee to think a little more outside of the buck.......just sayin'......

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my 336 ss ltd 35 shoots around trees. but only with the 200 grain corelokts.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2muchgun

Your "FACTS" and Paper ballistic along with your "Physics" lessons are skewed by false information (or a broken chrono), and the way the projectile performs. Your facts aren't necessarily all wrong, but they don't support the preconceptions the facts would lend one to believe. The FACT is the 35 does make a larger entrance hole, its exit hole is lacking and does not compare to the powermax hp 30-30. I feel the 30-30 LeverEvolution is better suited for Elk than the PHP if your rifle likes it. Your so called "laws of physics" kinda went out the window for me after a year of hunting with the 243 using Hornady Super-performance 80gr GMX. THATS A MYSTICAL COMBO.

I kinda start with the FACT of how well, or not so well a caliber performs,then work backwards. I limit my preconceived notions of why or why not a particular caliber should perform better or worse. It may not make any "Sense", but it IS!

You can insult me if you want but I hunt all game animals, all over the United States and world. Your Michigan deer ain't any bigger than certain Species of your so called "Southern Whitetail" from Alabama, Texas, Mississippi, Arkansas, Misery, and more. Your deer fall just as easy as the rest. I know, because I hunt your deer too. You would do well to learn the sub-species of whitetails before you term some puny.

I've killed about everything there is with both calibers, everywhere. From birds to 1,600lb animals including Feral cattle.

Both calibers are classics, and adequate for most anything within 200 yards but I still give the edge to the 30-30 from performance, to off the shelf shooting cost.

I'll continue to subscribe to your newsletter, but I think you lack enough real experience with the two rounds. I use it all year long, shoot them both almost ever single day.

I'll continue to use both calibers, but I can send you a few 35 rem rounds to use as suppositories if you'd like.

Again, Its a debate that I sincerely hope continues, at least another century. I certainly vow to do my part.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 08/27/14.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just don't see how a 220 gr. bullet at 2100 fps is less gun than a 170 at the same velocity. If you feel this way fine.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Palidun
Just don't see how a 220 gr. bullet at 2100 fps is less gun than a 170 at the same velocity. .

It isn't. But you aren't going to change his mind with facts, logic, ballistics , or personal experience.

It sounds like he doesn't even handload, yet still somehow believes he knows it all and has seen it all. I own 4 30-30s and 2 35 Rems. Handload them all. But apparently my opinion/experiences are invalid and my chrony is broken......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't reload for these two calibers, ain't no need too. The best you can get for both is on the store shelves. I don't shoot 170 gr, and the 150's are moving faster. It might not be a substantial difference in velocity to some of you folks, but its enough to change how the projectile performs for sure.

You'll never change my mind with the paper facts or flawed logic when probably over four hundred animals have fallen to these two calibers in my life, so far. I know which bullet is best for the caliber for a particular application, and which caliber performs the best on average out of the two. I have more rifles of both calibers, and have killed more with both, than maybe everyone on this forum combined.

Again, Its a debate that I sincerely hope continues, at least another century. I certainly vow to do my part.

Your assessment of my "beliefs" is flawed too. Just like I used to "believe" in God, since I met him in ICU in August of 1992...I'm not a believer, I'm a knower.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 08/29/14.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I'd love to know what factory loaded 200gr bullets you use at 1950 fps that do not expand at all. Please, do tell.

I can easily push a 220gr Speer FP over 2000 fps with my 35 Rems. And they expand nicely. 200 gr can be safely pushed to 2200+ fps.

My 30-30 handloads and 35 Rem handloads both run around 2100 fps. With 170gr and 200gr jacketed soft points, respectively. Both mushroom nicely. To say the smaller diameter, lighter bullet did greater damage would be ludicrous.

You may not notice much difference on deer, but the 35 is easily the better choice for anything larger. Especially when handloaded to it's true potential.......
You go right ahead and believe what you want to believe. I don't give a damn what your chronograph says. I don't give a damn what the "energy figures" for your handloads are and I don't give a damn how many rounds you've loaded for what. I've killed a couple long schit-tons of deer with many different cartridges and bullets. I've watched their reactions, recorded distances traveled after the shot with various shot placements and done hundreds of post mortems noting penetration, wound volume/destruction and exit hole sizes and I know damned good and well what I'm talking about here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, so you started this crap in post #6. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

You go right ahead and believe what you want to believe. I don't give a damn what your chronograph says. I don't give a damn what the "energy figures" for your handloads are and I don't give a damn how many rounds you've loaded for what. I've killed a couple long schit-tons of deer with many different cartridges and bullets. I've watched their reactions, recorded distances traveled after the shot with various shot placements and done hundreds of post mortems noting penetration, wound volume/destruction and exit hole sizes and I know damned good and well what I'm talking about here.

I disagree. But I would still like to know what factory 35 Rem load (as quoted by you)clocks 1950fps and does not expand at all. Please do tell......

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

436 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 219DW, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,112
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.