Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9112243 08/20/14
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
"Good morning Principal Evenson, how are you today?"

"Just fine Mr. James, what can I do for you?"

"I was just calling to let you know Johnny will be absent from school today-he's got a severe case of Buck Fever!" CLICK

Okay guys, fess up-how many of us have called our kids off sick from school so they could go hunt with us?

I'm guilty as charged, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Dad was a carpenter by trade, and was usually laid off by the time the cold weather set in. One year he was still working when deer season came in. The super on the job told him if he called off for deer season, not to bother coming back. 'Guess they had a help wanted sign up that Monday morning!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
my parents called me off for all kinds of things in school. Fishing, hunting, going on tours of things, like a nuclear sub etc....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Dad worked Mon-Fri, so we hunted Sat and Sunday for the three weeks of the Oregon deer season (1959-1964). When I had kids of my own and they were "at that age" I was assigned overseas (Japan,Korea, and Hawaii). This has haunted me to this day and will until I die. It was one of the most anticipated events for me as a kid and my kids never got to experience it. I would have much preferred seeing a 30-30 in their hands rather than that video game controller.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I called in sick many times to hunt.. When I taught school, I always encouraged my kids in school to hunt.. It always gripped me a kid could miss all kinds of school for a damn football game, but hunting was not that important.. Hunting is a life time sport... Most forget that..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never had to because our deer season started way before school did.
But during trout season my Mom would be waiting outside the school in the station wagon with the fishing poles.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Pennsylvania's deer season always starts on the Monday after Thanksgiving. It was pretty well known in our area of Ohio that there'd be quite a few kids out, as Ohio's season starts the same day.

In Pa.,it's just about a state holiday. Lots of places don't even bother opening up, as so many of their staff or students are in the woods.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The super on the job told him if he called off for deer season, not to bother coming back.

Did that myself first year out of high school. Got hired at another job within a day of my return. Still, I must have been a good employee, as he called and asked me fill in for several weekends. Still friends to this day.

1Minute
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
My youngest was allowed to go out of state with our neighbor, to play golf. It was a weekend getaway at their cabin in Vermont.They were both 16 at the time, and the best of friends.

About an hour into the journey my phone rang, and it was my kid. Seems his buddy saw a relative driving on the highway, pulled off and proceeded to buy some pot,for the trip I guess. Junior got out of the car, called me and said come get him..And no questions, so I did. It was on the way home he told me the real reason. Just about broke down. So I told my wife when we got home the story, and that I was taking him out of school for a week to hunt in Maine. I figured he earned it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The super on the job told him if he called off for deer season, not to bother coming back. 'Guess they had a help wanted sign up that Monday morning!

I did the same thing back when I was a young man. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
During the late '60s Arkansas started having a designated "doe day" during the season. On that day, schools were near empty. Much complaining by school officials , the state finally designating the "doe day" to always fall on a Saturday.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dad always worked 2 jobs, one wherever, and one at the house painting cars before he opened his own business. I can remember many times he'd quit cause he couldnt get off. For school, he always told em "im takin the boy huntin all next week". Never a problem. Now a days I dont think that'd fly.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
That's one of the things I remember about first grade. My father checked me out of school a couple of times to go dove hunting. smile

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I had the second day off a couple of times with 'leg cramps' from too much/too hard walking on the first day (school was closed). At least that's what the school was told. The cure for 'leg cramps' was more walking!

I offered to let my son take off, he said he wanted to go to school. Seems strange but how do you argue with a kid that wants to go to school? Must have worked for him, he graduated 31st in a class of 555.

Dale

This space for rent

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Here in Northern Michigan school closed on Nov. 15th opening day of gun season!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In my high school years, my Dad used to let me go to moose camp for the week. My Grandfather was there with a couple other of Dad's buddies. I used to just go fishing and shoot grouse, but what a time I had. What I would give for another one of those weeks.

I always took the girls out of school for the 1st morn of duck season. That was a good time!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I simply didn't go to school when the rut started.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 1minute
The super on the job told him if he called off for deer season, not to bother coming back.

Did that myself first year out of high school. Got hired at another job within a day of my return. Still, I must have been a good employee, as he called and asked me fill in for several weekends. Still friends to this day.

I'm guilty of that as well. I quit my job in HS in a bakery because they wouldn't let me have deer season off. F' em.. Kids gotta be a kid smile

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kids can go to school during deer opener?????

[Linked Image]

Last edited by goalie; 08/27/14.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My school closed for opening day, which was always on a Monday. They would lose so much state aid because of attendance it wasn't worth it to run the school.

They don't do it any more as most kids in that area don't hunt (nor do their parents).

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goalie
Kids can go to school during deer opener?????

[Linked Image]

Got a flyer on that group. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,915
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.