Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Something more "elephant gun" style.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Merkel-Safari-140-500-Nitro-Express.cfm?gun_id=100433660

Realize it's not an English double rifle,but dang it's saaawwweeeetttt!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
25 years ago I had a chance to buy a SxS 7x57 made by Westley Richards, AAA wood, two triggers, ejectors etc�$7,000� my wife ( at the time�) said " can you afford it?"
Heres the worst part�I could! cry

I didn't buy it, and instead used part of the money to have a machine built that kicks me in the ass every morning when I get out of bed...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Hey been there done that my friend. Was at Great Northern Guns in Anchorage with my wife when I saw a beautifully made rifle. The salesman handed it to me and I saw a genuine Rigby 7x57. They wanted $2000 for it. I looked at my wife, she looked at me, and that look was "if you want it...". But I decided not to get it. That was about 15 years ago. Also hand the chance on a genuine .318 Westley-Richards for $2250. I am so dumb sometimes.

I did eventually buy a nice one though:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by TheKuskokid; 08/23/14.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
25 years ago I had a chance to buy a SxS 7x57 made by Westley Richards, AAA wood, two triggers, ejectors etc�$7,000� my wife ( at the time�) said " can you afford it?"
Heres the worst part�I could! cry

I didn't buy it, and instead used part of the money to have a machine built that kicks me in the ass every morning when I get out of bed...
cry Ingwe,good grief just good grief! shocked

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I know�I know�. frown

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Or this, AHR Montana action .600 Overkill
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Or this Merkel 500 Nitro
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tico
I've had it in my head for a while now that I wanted a big bad boy caliber....I don't know why since I will more than likely never go to Africa to shoot something that big but hey I wanted one so what more reason than that do I need? After looking at the 375, 416 rigby and 458 lott I decided those were too common and I was asked to look at the 404 jeffery. After reading up on it and its place in African history I decided I wanted one. I started looking for them online but the price being asked for one was enough that I decided I would have one made for me instead of buying one used. I had discussed the project with my gunsmith and had found a donor and was looking for blanks for the stock before I ran into a deal I just couldn't pass up without the year and a half waiting time so i jumped on it. So here is my big boy gun in 404 jeffery. It is a CZ 550 Safari Classic. As i understand it the action is sent over from the Czech Republic where it is custom made here from that point. Please keep a look out for it in the classifieds after I shoot it :-)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice .404 you have there. I bought .404J brass some time back, planning on using it for a .416 Howell. After looking at the brass and reading about the Jeffery, I thought about building one, but haven't finished the last project.

Are you planning on loading for it?

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice rifles Southwind, congrats. smile

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My elephant gun is a 7x57 with 175 gr. solids cool

[Linked Image]

Hey Ingwe: when you're old and decrepit and can't get around anymore, remember your old buddy down in Florida.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RevMike

[Linked Image]

Hey Ingwe: when you're old and decrepit and can't get around anymore, remember your old buddy down in Florida.

so next week?

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nah, Rattler, I'm trying to play nice...to get the rifle, of course. Once that's accomplished all bets are off.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rattler

[Linked Image]

so next week?

I fart in your general direction!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

[Linked Image]

KaramojoGwe Special. wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

technically more of a buffalo rifle. But works well with .470 Nitro bullets. I'm still working up loads with the big Woodleighs smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

[Linked Image]

Ingwe,I'll give you CASH for that 7x57.

So I'm starting at $7.57. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Elk, now just a cotton-pickin' minute. I had dibs on a bequest and here you're coming to the table with cash. That just ain't fair! cry

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Here's my own elephant gun...with a 175gr.

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Elk, now just a cotton-pickin' minute. I had dibs on a bequest and here you're coming to the table with cash. That just ain't fair! cry
All is fair in gun buying. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Dat's a fact.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
well...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

technically more of a buffalo rifle. But works well with .470 Nitro bullets. I'm still working up loads with the big Woodleighs smile

You're ready for buffalo Tex. smile

Trump Won!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

75 members (808outdoors, 264mag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 308xray, 15 invisible), 1,113 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,482
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.