Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
northcountry, just stopped and weighed the Redhawk, as it is now and loaded with six cartridges. Weighs 51.75 ounces. The book says gun only wt. is 46 oz. so that's about right. I forgot to weigh it empty while I was there........

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
lastround
Thanks that is what I was looking for. So basically you would have 3 pounds with the big iron on your hip. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, it will take a good belt and holster to carry on the hip as the Redhawk weighs a good four ounces more than my 629. I've got a Galco that it fits nicely for belt carry.

[Linked Image]

However, I also have a 1980's model Roy's Hidden Thunder shoulder holster which is probably where it will be carried the most.

[Linked Image]

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ruger is telling me that they're only selling 4.2inch barrels with the pin on sights.I told the man I was seeing them on gun forums with dovetailed front sights,but he was adamant that I was mistaken.What's wrong ?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, you have seen the picture of my 4.2" gun on this thread. There are at least ten such guns on Gunbroker right now, as well as two or three with the older style pinned front sight. In all cases, the plunger style guns are listed as NIB. I have seen three recently at the LGS. I don't know who you talked to at Ruger, but they are being produced with the plunger style front sight. I am at a loss to try to answer your question in any other way.

Doug
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I called Ruger the other day to see if they were planning on prolonged production of the Red Hawk,I talked to somebody in customer service.They apparently didn't know very much.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Shameless,
I sure wasn't trying to be curt with my answer at all. I just didn't know how to answer. In my opinion, the proof is out there. As far as how long they plan to make the Redhawks; I hope for a long time.....They are one of my favorites, especially the 5.5" and the 4.2" models.

Doug
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by shameless
Ruger is telling me that they're only selling 4.2inch barrels with the pin on sights.I told the man I was seeing them on gun forums with dovetailed front sights,but he was adamant that I was mistaken.What's wrong ?

my 4.2 inch i just bought a while ago, I think was made in march of this year. It has the front plunger you depress to remove the front sight.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That's a nice rig. I had an early .44 magnum that Bowen worked over and it went down the road in a never ending gun consolidation effort. Always wanted to replace that sixgun, if I do this looks like the best way to go.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by lastround
Shameless,
I sure wasn't trying to be curt with my answer at all. I just didn't know how to answer. In my opinion, the proof is out there. As far as how long they plan to make the Redhawks; I hope for a long time.....They are one of my favorites, especially the 5.5" and the 4.2" models.
NO! I didn't take it that way!I've just wanted a 4.2 in 45 Colt like yours for a long time.I've even thought a few times about getting a 7.5 and having it cut to 4" to have a dovetailed front sight.Now that they are being made,it seems like a lot of run around trying to gather information from Ruger.It's just funny that I have to go to a forum to find out what's available instead of the manufacturer.Thanks.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When Ruger makes a 4" blued .41 Rem Mag Redhawk, I'm buying one.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SansSouci

Cool!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I'd buy one of the new stainless models in 41 mag if Ruger would make them. Maybe a special run for Lipsey's or some other distributer...............as a matter of fact, I want a 44magnum also.

Last edited by lastround; 09/01/14. Reason: Add a thought

Doug
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have owned several .44 Magnum Redhawk and Blackhawks in 5.5 inch flavor. I have to vote for the .45 Colt as the best handling caliber. The factory gun is quoted as 49 ounces in the Redhawk. My .45 Colts weigh an ounce less. In the Blackhawk Bisley the weight is a bit less, around 46 ounces. It doesn't sound like much but the gun is lively and points better. Only when very heavy loads come into play does the extra weight seem to add something to performance. I would like to see a 5.5 inch 480 Ruger six shot Super Redhawk. I guess the chopped barrel route is the only solution. I favor the 7.5 inch .44 Special Blackhawk flattop Bisley. A 7.5 inch Redhawk just seems to be a handful.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by deflave

Cool!

Travis

they did make one, but think it was 5 inch

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by lastround
Update: I spent the morning loading up 50 rounds with the aforementioned bullet and powder. I have also been working on the trigger with an Arkansas stone. That and a 14 lb. Wolfe mainspring has gotten the now smooth and crisp trigger pull down to 3.75 lbs. Pretty happy with the action now.

I also changed out the sights to some Bowen sights I took off of another Redhawk.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now to do some shooting to see what she will do.

I suggest you LocTite the screws on that rear sight once you have it dialed in. If one wants a sight that they plan to move around his Target version is the better sight and still a hell for stout design.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the tip, EdM. I take it that you have had a problem with the opposing screws in the rear sight shooting loose? Or do you just prefer the Target version?

Doug
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I recently got one with the 4.2 barrel , a little polishing and lubricant and the trigger is pretty smooth, very nice gun

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
interesting article in the current issue of handloader by brian pearce on loading heavy bullets in the .45colt redhawk. He is running them up near 50000psi.
Some of those loads ought to put to rest that a .45colt can't compare to a .44magnum.
out of a 7 1/2inch tube, one of the loads was a 335 grain cast performance at 1511fps. Ouch.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/09/14.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a lot of respect for Pearce and his extensive experience, but he tends to "warm" things up a bit. I can't imagine shooting some of those loads in this new Redhawk. I will trust him that the gun would take the pounding; not sure I could. But, to each his own............

Doug
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,151
Posts18,465,027
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.