Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have had a new 4.2" Ruger Redhawk on lay-away at the LGS for about two months. Finally got the funds together and brought it home yesterday.

[Linked Image]

The main difference in this Redhawk and the others that I own/have owned is the caliber. I have never owned a 45 Colt in any form, so I am looking forward to working with this one.

[Linked Image]

I thought I would share my opinions of the new production guns with those who might be interested in my example of one.

1). The first thing I did was remove those rubber grips and replace with a set of factory wood grips that I had on hand. I know some like the rubber, but my preference is what counts here. (Grin)

2). Metal fit seems to be on a par with the earlier Redhawks. Crane to frame fit is not as sloppy as some I have owned; not quite as good as a few I have owned.

[Linked Image]

Fit of the trigger assembly to the frame is as close to perfect as any I've had in the past. This gun is not fitted on a par with my Smith & Wessons, but is excellent when compared to other Redhawks.

3). Metal finish is nowhere as good as the older Redhawks. Not that it is terrible, but just not quite polished out like they were in the past. Maybe that will get better as time goes by.

4). The action workings were typical Redhawk. Double action trigger was gritty and heavy (about 14 lbs. and single action was creepy and heavy ( 7 lbs.). I have already dry fired the gun five hundred times and that has helped a bunch. Gonna have to work on that single action creep, but that is typical of most Redhawks.

5). One question; does anyone know the reason for the ejector star change?

[Linked Image]

Was there a problem with the old pin-guided style or is the new style just cheaper to manufacture? Seems to work ok.......

All-in-all, I like some of the changes Ruger has made. The moving of that warning from the side if the barrel to the bottom of the ejector lug is a good move as is the new method of applying markings and logo. No more roll marking. It is EDM or something, but very attractive. I also really like the change to the plunger replaceable front sight like the longer barrels have had. Now to get to shooting..........

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very nice, and I really like the grand old 45 Colt cartridge.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've got some 265 gr. Keith bullets cast by Dave Jennings at Montana Bullet works that were gifted to me by my nephew in Montana along with some Winchester brass and a set of RCBS dies, so I'll get to work. Not going hot so I will start with 8.5 grains of Universal which should Chrony at about 950 fps. If the Universal doesn't work out, I've got a new pound of Unique waiting in the wings.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Looks good, enjoy it!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Shot four cylinders full thru the 45 Redhawk today getting the sights regulated to my load of 8.5 gr. of Universal. Fired the load thru the Chrony, average for six shots was 985 fps. Was able to get a three inch group from a rest at 25 yds. Probably wii do better after a little trigger work. I think I'm gonna like it.

Doug
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That looks perfect!

If the picture is accurate, I prefer the more subdued stainless finish on this Redhawk as shown -
Than the high polish finish I have on a stainless Ruger SA revolver.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I got one a couple of months ago, still getting use to that single spring. I have smith's in my blood going back years.
I would second the finish remarks, as I can tell on mine where they didn't finish polishing it enough as close to the barrel frame hookup.
I did the dry fire thing, and also put in a lighter spring. And have fired about a box of ammo, reloads, through it so far. 250grain berry's about 9grains of unique. The weight of it makes it nice to shoot. It's kind of growing on me.
i do like the ease of getting the front sight out, just wish they would have made it of some other material.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 08/20/14.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Ron,
What is your front sight? Every Redhawk I have owned has had a blued steel (black) sight with a red insert. I just tried a magnet, the new one is steel also.

Doug
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by lastround
Ron,
What is your front sight? Every Redhawk I have owned has had a blued steel (black) sight with a red insert. I just tried a magnet, the new one is steel also.

i had to go look, you are right. Was thinking some kind of plastic from the finish on it.
I do know I have a blued .41mag redhawk, that has that ruger aftermarket set of sights which are plastic.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
one thing i might mention if unfamilar with .45colt. See if you can get some of the david scovill rcbs saa bullets. Rated at 270 grain, they cast to about 283grains with wheelweights. I got a mould out of slovenia for that bullet which in addition to a keith solid, also throws a hollow and pentad hollow point.
With about 8.5 to 9 grains of unique it is a thumper. 45's are addictive. We were shooting at quemato a browning replica low wall in .45colt. Just absolutely sweet.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the tip. As I said earlier, I've got most of 250 cast bullets from Montana Bullet Works, but those won't last long. A bullet mold or two will be a priority. I've got all the molds I need for 38, 41, and 44, but no mold for a good 45 bullet.

Doug
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The rcbs bullet no 82092 is pretty much what i have been casting:
http://www.montanabulletworks.com/45_Colt.html

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Update: I spent the morning loading up 50 rounds with the aforementioned bullet and powder. I have also been working on the trigger with an Arkansas stone. That and a 14 lb. Wolfe mainspring has gotten the now smooth and crisp trigger pull down to 3.75 lbs. Pretty happy with the action now.

I also changed out the sights to some Bowen sights I took off of another Redhawk.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now to do some shooting to see what she will do.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by P_Weed
That looks perfect!

If the picture is accurate, I prefer the more subdued stainless finish on this Redhawk as shown -
Than the high polish finish I have on a stainless Ruger SA revolver.

Hi Weed,
The pictures are taken with my I-phone, so not as good in the quality category as with a good camera. The finish is definitely not a high polish; kind of a muted brush finish. Much like older Redhawks, just not as consistently brushed after finishing, if that makes sense......

Doug
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I think i am going to have to look for a set of those bowen sights.
question, what are you stoning in the trigger group, by parts?
i did the trigger replacement but havent' polished anything yet.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like the idea of that front site and it would be interesting to try.

The 45 Colt is one of my favorite rounds, so many different things can be done with it in many different platforms and it is a 45 after all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
lastround
What does that neat looking Redhawk weigh with full chambers, with the 260 grain bullets. Thanks for your time. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Congrats on your new Redhawk! That looks really nice, and I like those wood grips too.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northcountry
lastround
What does that neat looking Redhawk weigh with full chambers, with the 260 grain bullets. Thanks for your time. Cheers NC

I'll have to get back to you on the weight. I'm not at home right now.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I think i am going to have to look for a set of those bowen sights.
question, what are you stoning in the trigger group, by parts?
i did the trigger replacement but havent' polished anything yet.

For the sights, go to: www.bowenclassicarms.com and go to parts. The rear sight is called their "Rough Country". They have several front sight designs available.

As far as what did I polish? I used 600 grit wet or dry and polished up all parts that move, metal against metal. The double action sear surface on hammer and trigger, the cylinder locking bolt top surface (helps eliminate most of the cylinder ring, but be careful. Just a polish). I disassembled the trigger group and polished the nose pins on all the springs as well as their contact surfaces on the parts they operate. Polished the sides of the moving parts. A tip here is to lay the sandpaper on a flat piece of glass and move the flat surfaces over the sandpaper. This keeps all parts good and flat. I used the Arkansas stone to actually remove some of the contact surface of the hammer single action sear notch. Be really careful here. Don't change any angles and don't take off too much. (Don't ask how I know). Re-assemble and try numerous times until you get it like you want it. I don't try to eliminate ALL the creep, just most of it. I definitely want to keep a safe trigger.

While you've got every thing apart, I also polish the inside surfaces of the trigger opening in the trigger housing and the hammer opening in the frame. This helps with both smoothness of operation and eliminates most of the scratches that inevitably appear on the exposed surfaces of the hammer and the trigger. A word of caution! Care must be taken when doing what I have described here, but if you undertake to do it, be prepared to spend several hours. The last part is total cleaning of all parts and oiling lightly prior to re-assembly. You will now have one of the slickest working Redhawks imaginable. If you go for it, just take your time and a lot of breaks. Good luck and hope my descriptions help.

Last edited by lastround; 08/22/14. Reason: Add clarification

Doug
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1minute, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,746
Posts18,457,750
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.