Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Have a German Shepherd and a Rottweiler.GSD is from Germany.She choose me not the other way around and watched out for me from the first day.If I take a nap she watches till I get up ect.Down side is they loose a lot of hair.The Rott was found on a job in the sticks.Showed up all skin and bones couldnt tell she was a Rottweiler about 6 or seven months old.She is not attentive like the GSD more of a hug me type dog but will follow the shepherds lead.GSD is always paying attention as to what is going on.If you want an allert watch dog its the GSD.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had only one Dobbie,never had a high opinion of them, but the Red Bitch our son left behind when he went off to school
changed my mind. That dog knew what I was think before I did,
would not leave the yard even with the gate open unless you told her it was ok. No one or any think never came on the property (7 acres) that she didn't know about and let you know. Someone once commented that when she snarled it looked like she had teeth all the way to her stomach. But if you introduced her to a stranger and told her it was ok she was then friendly. We lived in a rural area and I was comfortable leaving the wife a lone when the Dobbie was there.Just saying YMMV Cheers NC

Last edited by northcountry; 08/20/14.

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnP
[Linked Image]

Beautiful dog John!

My cousin in Michigan breeds European Dobies, they are bigger and heavier boned and muscled than the American strain often running 31" at the shoulder and 130lbs +.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sal: I worked with one European Dobie �..very nice dog, and as was said, very big and imposing. Very much unlike American dogs. This particular one ended up having Von Willebrands disease, so was taken out of service, but he was a tracking fool, and a dope finding machine.
You know Im a GSD guy, but I would recommend a Dobie for atone that isn't completely immersed in 'all things dog'�especially if you are looking at one to do a little work, protection, etc. Dobies are like dogs, GSDs are like 8 year old kids, except smarter.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Somebody gave us a small female Dobie that had real short floppy ears. She was just a great family dog and was very protective. A friend, Texas Highway Patrolman, had to part with his huge male blue Dobie. Max was big, had the tallest straight ears, and had the look of the devil in his eyes. For some reason Max took an instant like to me. If anybody came close to me that he didn't know, he would lean against my legs and bared his teeth. If I was under a car and a stranger came up, Max was under the car by me and snarling at the person. He mated with our little ugly female and produced 3 beautiful pups and a runt. The mother agitated the little guy, biting him and giving him hell. She wouldn't nurse him. Wife took him home and bottle fed him. He became a very big red Dobie and the gentlest dog we have ever had. After these guys past we had no more dogs.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Funny how a simple crop of the ears can transform a dog from cute and cuddly....

[Linked Image]

To ferocious and terrifying...

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Zeke was oversized according to AKC standards, 34" at the shoulders and 105 pounds, all muscle and very athletic. We had plenty of interest in him from a few breeders but never put him out to stud, at times I regret not doing that. Does your cousin still breed them, interested if she does. By the way when we got "Zeke" as a puppy we sat on the living room floor of the breeder. All the pups came over and sniffed around except "Zeke", he crawled up on the wife's lap and wouldn't leave her. Needless to say we took him home. I'll try to find some pictures of him before his ears were cropped. Almost looks like a black and tan hound.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Funny how a simple crop of the ears can transform a dog from cute and cuddly....

[Linked Image]

To ferocious and terrifying...

[Linked Image]
They were the "devil dog" in the US prior to the Rottweiler being introduced in the 1980s after The Omen. Then Pitbulls took the title from the Rotties.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would say you need one of these but they only made one.
half Akita and Half Huskie. came out the best of both.
weighed around 145 or so most of the time. loved kids and always put him self between them and any danger no matter what it was except for a moose. he was smart enough to leave them alone. tangled with more than one bear and would catch and kill yotes. bluffed a couple wolves and many, many people.
had a sense of humor beyond any dog I ever saw. would hide in the brush until I passed then come out huffing just like a bear. made me foul myself a time or two.
[Linked Image]

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.