Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Buy some cheaper version and pour it in the empty bottle of the high dollar brand and see if they notice smile

I tried this with my BIL and he did not notice. But then he will drink anything he does not have to pay for.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Hotload
Buy some cheaper version and pour it in the empty bottle of the high dollar brand and see if they notice smile

I tried this with my BIL and he did not notice. But then he will drink anything he does not have to pay for.

Does he drink it on ice?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie last Christmas and it has become my favorite. Teachers is a decent blend for the money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
You dirty bastid! You know someone is going to try one of those!

Which do you suppose goes best on a moose hunt?

I'm thinking the boggier the better. smile

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gmiller
I picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie last Christmas and it has become my favorite. Teachers is a decent blend for the money.
Gonna have to try Glenmorangie. More than one have recommended it. I cant seem to find teachers around here.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The blends I've tried have not been good to me - constitution-wise. I have a friend that loves Dewars blended, but it hurts me.

I'm a big fan of Balvenie 12. I can get it for $39/bottle at an annual vacation spot and I buy a case every summer.

Never tried Glenmorangie, but may have to.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/dalmore-12-year-old-whisky/

Thank me later... grin

Life is too short to drink bad stuff.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Pugs
http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/dalmore-12-year-old-whisky/

Thank me later... grin

Life is too short to drink bad stuff.

I"ll have to try it....

The Glen 15 year French Oak sounds good as well.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dalwhinnie 15yo is my favorite cheap Single Malt. My all time favorite hands down. It's at the opposite end of cheap for me.
[Linked Image]

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Dalwhinnie isn't cheap.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dalwhinnie 15 for under $50 is pretty reasonable compared to the Balvenie PortWood.

I must confess though I keep a Knob Creek, George Dickel no.8, or Makers Mark in there as well, lately been the MM 46.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I can agree with reasonable, given its quality.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by 458Win

That is a cruel trick, and one that my daughter and son played on John Barsness and myself.

In fact it worked so well that I have since tried it on numerous folks over the years and can only say that the human taste is highly suggestive.

How were you drinking the whiskey? On the rocks?

straight up .
Both JB and I were also convinced that we could tell the difference.

So was everybody else each time I have since offered a blind taste test.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 458Win

straight up .
Both JB and I were also convinced that we could tell the difference.

So was everybody else each time I have since offered a blind taste test.

So, what are you drinking now?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The reason I asked about the use of ice is that I've found chilling sipping whisk(e)y pretty much ruins it. For example, if you start with Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, or a similar mild highland malt and ice it down, the result is little different than if you'd started with a low end blend.

If a taster can't distinguish between Usher's and The Macallan when they're served properly in nosing glasses, wellllll, then good for his wallet in the future. grin

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
When I first started drinking scotch I had it over ice. What I have found is a slash of water and let the glass sit for a few mins opens the flavors of the whisky.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Dalwhinnie isn't cheap.

No single malt worth drinking is cheap.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Dalwhinnie isn't cheap.

No single malt worth drinking is cheap.

Ain't that the truth.

I used to buy a good bit of Highland Park 18 yr. old, before it became known. Less than fifty bucks, those were the days.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by gunchamp
...so I'm looking for a cheaper alternative for the in between drinking. What are my options? I have drank famous grouse but have kind of lost the taste for it as of late. What else is out there? Thanks

I don't know why we're discussing single malts when the lad is asking for a cheaper alternative to Glenlivet 12, which is about as economical a single malt as you can get... to my mind that means you're going to have to get into the blends. I'd rather drink a good blended whisky than a bad single malt. And there are some piss-poor single malts to be had, in my sad experience.

I prefer Famous Grouse as my "house" brand blend, and if you go to Scotland and have a wee dram in a variety of drinking establishments you'll find it's very popular over there, too. The only two blends I keep in my house are FG and Dewar's. Dewar's is a very consistent blended whisky with the light color and clean taste of many of the best Speyside whiskies.

If you want something a bit milder than FG in flavor, Old Pultney is an outstanding value. The various Johnnie Walkers are all too sweet for my palate, but you may like them. I don't care for JG, Cutty Sark, or any of the other mid-range blends.

Just try 'em all.

Last edited by DocRocket; 08/21/14.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Just try 'em all.

This is why you are my all time favorite Doc. A prescription for happiness. smile

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.