Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
What does kroil do for you when cleaning a rifle? What's the best way to use it and what does it accomplish? Thanks for the feedback.

BP-B6

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use it sometimes to clean the carbon out of the bore..I also like it to coat the bore after cleaning..but it doesn't take much a light coat will do...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I mix it with Shooters Choice about a 50/50 mix.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Strictly a penetrating oil and helpful for floating off lead or copper fouling. Not a lubricant at all. If one is in the black powder circle, do not leave ANY in the bore before firing off a set. The resulting products (leading etc) is a bear to remove.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/20/14.

1Minute
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Works well. My wife cannot stand the smell and will not enter the room if I'm using kroil. Never knows if I'm working on a new rifle.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good camouflage there, GW. I use Kroil to help remove lead from handgun barrels. It seems to get under the lead and make it easy to brush out. I know the OP asked about Kroil in rifles, but I just added this.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've used Kroil for years and have been pleased with the product. Like a previous poster, I have mixed it 50/50 with Shooters Choice with good results. I even like the smell.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

From Berger:

Q: If I use Moly Coated bullets how should I clean my barrel?
A: The following is one way to clean when using Moly Coated bullets. It is not likely the only way you can clean if you are using Moly Coated bullets.

1. Push one patch wet with Kroil Oil through the barrel
2. Repeat step 1.
3. Push one dry patch through the barrel.
4. Repeat step 3.
5. Push one patch wet with Butch's Bore Shine through the barrel.
6. Repeat step 5.
7. Let the barrel soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
8. Push one dry patch through the barrel.
9. Repeat step 8.
10. Using short strokes back and forth push one patch wet with USP or JB Bore Paste through the barrel.
11. Push one patch wet with Kroil through the barrel.
12. Repeat step 11 twice.
13. Push one dry patch through the barrel.
14. Repeat step 13 three times.
15. Use bore scope or visually inspect muzzle for copper fouling.
16. If copper is present repeat steps 10 through 15.
17. If you are storing the rifle push one patch wet with quality gun oil through the barrel.

Q: How do I break in a barrel using Moly Coated bullets?
A: Moly Coated bullets will not shoot consistently until a barrel is properly broken in with Moly Coated bullets. Walt Berger has found the following procedure to work best in his barrels.

For a new barrel:
1. Shoot one Moly Coated bullet then clean using the Moly Coated cleaning procedure listed above.
2. Repeat step 1 five times.
3. Shoot three Moly Coated bullets then clean using the Moly Coated cleaning procedure listed above.
4. Repeat step 3 five times.

For a broken in barrel:
1. Thoroughly clean the barrel.
2. Shoot ten Moly Coated bullets then clean using the Moly Coated cleaning procedure listed above.

Your barrel is now ready to shoot Moly Coated bullets.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I acquired a 98 mauser that had a some what crusty looking barrel. It shot respectable but looked pitted and rough. I swabbed it with kroil and let it sit a couple of days brushed it out swabbed it again repeating for a week or two. It now looks much much better. You really have to look at the grooves at just the right angle to a bright light to see any roughness at all and the bore is actually bright and shinny. It shoot rings around my friends various surplus rifles. I was originally thinking rebarrel but not anymore.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use kroil and mix it with job bore paste to clean stubborn carbon or smooth out a new factory barrel.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use it to clean my rim-fires

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I use Kroil to clean gun parts sometimes.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I use Kroil for a inside, outside the barrel cleaning solvent; everything but cutting copper.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It knocks lead's dick in the dirt.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
From 16bore:

"A: Moly Coated bullets will not shoot consistently until a barrel is properly broken in with Moly Coated bullets. Walt Berger has found the following procedure to work best in his barrels."

I find this to be an interesting statement as I have two different rifles that shot <.75MOA with the first moly loads fired through them.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Yep, and all the wax/lube schit.
I don't get any barrel lead for the most part, but any on a port or cylinder face is toast.

I wipe down the works with it and toss 'em in a SackUp.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We use a lot of its variant Silikroil at work. Excellent at breaking free rusted stuff. Never tried it for guns because of the added silicone.

Kroil works well getting the plastic fouling from my choke tubes and shotgun barrels. Also cleans off the carbon pretty quick.

Creepy stuff that's for sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by strosfann
From 16bore:

"A: Moly Coated bullets will not shoot consistently until a barrel is properly broken in with Moly Coated bullets. Walt Berger has found the following procedure to work best in his barrels."

I find this to be an interesting statement as I have two different rifles that shot <.75MOA with the first moly loads fired through them.

Mine always start a little wide, but I haven't cleaned anything in awhile. That quote is from Walt....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by strosfann
From 16bore:

Kinda sux

All of my rifles shoot a tiny bullet diameter hole with the first moly load fired

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
672 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 75 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.