Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Exactly. Kahles has a great #4, also.... But ordering off the shelf from leupold, that HD seems to be the thickest/quickest low light ch arrangement they offer.

GB1

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Exactly. Kahles has a great #4, also.... But ordering off the shelf from leupold, that HD seems to be the thickest/quickest low light ch arrangement they offer.

Aren't Kahles all 30mm?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Think so, but I was just referring to their reticle, as an example of the #4s I'm drawn to. I have some 30mm stuff I like to look through, but not look AT, at least on my trimmer rigs.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
For dim-light shooting I prefer the Heavy Duplex in Leupolds, for the reasons others already stated. However, I also find it works just great for longer distances as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
For dim-light shooting I prefer the Heavy Duplex in Leupolds, for the reasons others already stated. However, I also find it works just great for longer distances as well.

Thanks John, I thought I remembered you saying that. Looks like that's what's going on my Boddington No 1a.

I'll let Ingwe guess the caliber.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Think so, but I was just referring to their reticle, as an example of the #4s I'm drawn to. I have some 30mm stuff I like to look through, but not look AT, at least on my trimmer rigs.

Ah, got it.

Yes, it looks a lot like Leupold's P&D. Only the Kahles I was looking at is illuminated. I wish they could do that in a 1 inch tube. I'll bet the technology eventually gets there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think it's available anymore, but premier reticles made a 4a that was essentially the heavy duplex on the side and bottom bars and conventional plex on the center and top. Back when they were working with Leupold I had them fit one to a 2.5x compact.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I don't think it's available anymore, but premier reticles made a 4a that was essentially the heavy duplex on the side and bottom bars and conventional plex on the center and top. Back when they were working with Leupold I had them fit one to a 2.5x compact.

That would be the ticket, wouldn't it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

This. All my Leupolds (unless illuminated), carry the HD X hairs and they all hang with the expensive Euro stuff (which BTW, the X hairs on Z6s are WAY too thin).

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
We seem to be moving towards a consensus here!! smile

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RevMike

Aren't Kahles all 30mm?

Not their older Helia CL scopes which were 1" and can still be found around $500-$700 and are great bargains IMHO. I have two with #4 reticle. One is a 2-7X36 and one is a 3-10X50.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is my Leupold 1.5-5 with lit German #4 on my Kimber 7-08, I really like the combo as my walking about/sitting with kids gun.
only thing I may change is Talley LW rings. [Linked Image]

Roll Tide Roll, now lets go hunting!!!
R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I'm getting to like the #4 on this Meopta 6X.
Bob

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Heavy Duplex. It allows quick ranging as well. Tried the Premier Reticles 4a, the #1, and the Post & Duplex. E

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Heavy Duplex. It allows quick ranging as well. Tried the Premier Reticles 4a, the #1, and the Post & Duplex. E

Tried them, but what did you think?

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Of all of them, the only one I would use other than the HD, would be the #1 but only on a close cover rifle.
When I say "tried them," I mean I hunted them for a while. For my hunting, the HD offers as much performance as I need plus the added benefit quick ranging. E

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Of all of them, the only one I would use other than the HD, would be the #1 but only on a close cover rifle.
When I say "tried them," I mean I hunted them for a while. For my hunting, the HD offers as much performance as I need plus the added benefit quick ranging. E

Got it. Thanks. I'll have an HD Leupold here Monday.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Seems I've Hunted With a Few Of Them All. And Most Of My Shooting Is At Dusk Or Dawn.Its Usally Dark When I Go In, And Dark When I Come Out.. For Me I've Never Found Anything That Will Beat a 4A. I Prefer a Swarovski AV 3-10-42.I.M.O Best Whitetail Scope Built.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Leupold's Nazi #1.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My preference is #4 over a heavy duplex.

I recently bought a Trijicon duplex with green dot. I havn't hunted with it yet but the glass is nice and the dot would be good for hog hunting at night.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 55 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.