Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's been 20+ years since we've seen the introduction of multicoated lens and 30mm tubes and such in mass market scopes. Have the optics significantly improved since, or has the market been more about lowering manufacturing costs and the technology is basically stable?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think they have vastly improved but you will pay dearly for it. In some cases price alone is not a good indicator. Take Kahles for example. prices in the last 10 years have far outpaced improvement. An older Kahles Helia CL 1" scope is a bargain at 1/2 or less than the current pricing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, I think for the most part, they have somewhat. Then again I have a very old (1970s) Weatherby (German) scope, whose optics are very clear. I have pretty good eyes and for the most part, I just can't see THAT much of a difference between scopes costing a couple of grand like the Z-6, S&B etc and a much less expensive Meopta or even a Leupold which BTW are the only two brands I buy now. I love my Zeiss Victory, Swaro Z-6s but had I known what I SEE now, I would have just stuck to Leupolds and now Meopta. Maybe Mule Deer will chime in, but more importantly PUBLISH that second Optics book!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I know dumping my 20+ yr old leupold, redfield, and B&L scopes for newer stuff, got me better glass. Back them, I couldn't afford German glass, so that's all I can really compare to.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 08/21/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lens coating have improved quite a bit and it isn't hard to buy a scope with fully multi-coated optics throughout for less than $200. We also have more manufacturers coming out with hydrophobic type coatings, which is a good thing.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Folks swooning the view,reliably miss the big picture.

Hint.

Pass the durability,tracking and reliability...over the Eye Candy................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Hint.

Pass the durability,tracking and reliability...over the Eye Candy................

Sure, but it ain't absolute. If I can't see what I'm shooting, not much else matters, either. Its a balance. Past a certain point, I can't tell much (if any) glass difference. At that point, it is definitely more about the factors you mention and eye box. Some weigh certain things more than others, based on perceived need....right or wrong.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are painting with an awfully broad brush when asking about improvements in an industry. There have certainly been technical improvements in lens coating and reliability of variables but speaking from my limited experience, the biggest improvement is narrowing the performance gap between the high-dollar euro brands and some of our more affordable domestic fare.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Is there any doubts as to why there are few reliable scopes on the market?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If everyone who shot or hunted (or more accurately treated their equipment) like Stick appears to treat his stuff, the market would be flooded with reliable scopes with mediocre glass.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The more one shoots, the less they care about "glass"....

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

But only one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A scope is simply a container in which I tote my crosshairs,until they are needed.

It is not an Observation Device,nor ever will it be.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Hint.

I'd have to agree and add a forgiving eyebox and decent eye relief. Lots more to fuss than a slightly better "picture quality".

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Glass is better across the board.

A lot of it is housed in scopes I wouldn't give two cents for on an important hunt.

Variables, of course, still suck. They just suck less than they used to..... grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not touting Schmidt and Bender but my 15 year old 3-12x42 Klassic is just as clear as a new Klassic. Lots of 15 year old scopes can't say that. powdr

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As much as it might frost some folks here, I noticed less difference in my 6-24X Weaver and the newer Tasco. This is based on side by side comparisons on deer antlers in the woods 131 yards away and eye charts 127 yards away. The only difference in my z5 and and 4200 is the tunnel vision is more pronounced in the 4200. Well, there is one more difference. The 4200 has note needed service, but the z5 did go back for a broken turret spring.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Guess you missed my point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best thoughts I ever read on scopes....

From Formy:

Scopes are aiming aids (not observation devices) and as such must-

Retain zero no matter what
Adjust consistently and correctly every single time
Be extremely durable and reliable
And be usable (eye box, eye relief, etc)

Any deviation from that, is a failure.

The above assumes adequate "glass", "brightness" and "clarity" from the start as these are the easiest to produce, yet matter the least on average.

From Stick:

When the dust settles,a scope is just a place I keep my crosshairs until I need 'um. I've less than zero interest in eyefhukking schit through a rifle scope(ANY rifle scope) and have looonnnngggggggg been at ease in the transition from bino's to crosshairs.

Gimme rugged reliability and great erector tracking................

And the Phil Shoemaker quote about scopes not being astronomical tools but simply aiming devices...(can't find the quote, yet)

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I feel like I'm involved in two different conversations. The OP's question about what's improved in the last 20 years and now a completely different conversation regarding the most important function of a riflescope.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,324
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.