Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Bob, once again, a fine piece of writing. There is so much sense in what you say here that it really puts a stop to the haggling back and forth over what works and what doesn't. I know these endless discussions over what to use, particularly for elk, don't clarify much for the guy who is new to elk hunting and is seeking advice, but your posts do seem to provide that clarity.

It can't be just age that leads you to prefer less boom for the same effect. It may be the wisdom that comes with seeing and experiencing a wide variety of hunters and guns and animals. Anyone who'd disagree with your choice or rationale wouldn't be worth debating.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
There is so much sense in what you say here that it really puts a stop to the haggling back and forth over what works and what doesn't.

Yep. Probably the last thread we'll ever see on which cartridge is "best" for elk.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Being a .284 slut I can't resist......... I've got a 7-08, 284win, 7saum, 7rm and a 7rum. My family has proven year in and year out that elk and moose fall to the might 7. I've personally seen more mis-haps with an '06 than any of the 7s..... And the little 160gr partition works in all of them!

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by smokepole
There is so much sense in what you say here that it really puts a stop to the haggling back and forth over what works and what doesn't.

Yep. Probably the last thread we'll ever see on which cartridge is "best" for elk.

I'll put $20 on the other side of that prediction.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
300 Savage or 30-30 for elk: anything else is overkill, used by small-genitalia compensators!?

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Actually, I like Bob's traditional approach of more powder for more speed with proven controlled-expansion bullets for longer range shots that can happen often in the wide open West. I went the other way, relying on new high-BC bullets pushed hard out of a std cartridge, but I get why the traditional approach is effective and invites less clownery, as long as the hunter can effectively shoot said Magnums.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by utah708

I'll put $20 on the other side of that prediction.

I'd put $100 on the other side. And then start the thread myself.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jmillo
Being a .284 slut I can't resist......... I've got a 7-08, 284win, 7saum, 7rm and a 7rum. My family has proven year in and year out that elk and moose fall to the might 7. I've personally seen more mis-haps with an '06 than any of the 7s..... And the little 160gr partition works in all of them!

No. I have it on good 'net sources that the 7MM Rem Mag, which was once the definitive elk rifle, is no longer suitable for any big game animal. It will work, marginally at that, on small jackrabbits and rats of all sizes.

BTW, the same 'net geniuses have determined that Bell did not kill upwards of a thousand elephants with a 7x57. According to the same sources, they were really African jackolopes that he killed.

There is no doubt in my mind that the 7MM Rem Mag will kill, and has killed, every single big game animal on our continent.

If I could start anew, I'd buy a .280 Rem & never look back.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Guys: Kudos to all!

My favorite personal (present)elk rifles both look like Utah 7/08's,except the bolt handle is on the other side. I presently have two,one chambered 7 Rem Mag and the other 7mm Mashburn Super.I don't know how many more elk hunts I have left but with a tag one of these will get the call.

I try to stay objective about rifle cartridges because they are what they are and do what they do,and nothing more or less. smile

I am also the last person to argue that the 300 magnums and 338's are anything but fantastic elk cartridges,since I have used the various 300's on them myself,and seen the 338's used quite a bit.

I have even been in one outfitted elk camp where it was strongly recommended (but not mandated) that the hunter bring a 300 magnum minimum because ( it was said)that in their experience heavy, tough 30 caliber bullets simply break heavy bone better, penetrate, deeper, and chop bigger wound channels in big bulls than anything lighter (including the various 7mm's).Magnum velocities made long range work easier.

I didn't argue the point since I was using a 300 Weatherby with 200 gr Partitions at the time,but felt the advice was a bit over the top. But digging around a lot of bull elk carcasses pretty much confirmed what they said. I still feel in general that the various 300 magnums with good heavy bullets deserve to be lumped in with the medium bores (in the old days it was not uncommon to see the 300 Weatherby lumped in with the 375 H&H as a cartridge for heavy African plains game).

A lot of this is bullet dependent.But the 7mm magnums work good because the heavy 7mm bullets(say 150-180 gr) nudge into the weight range of medium 30 caliber bullets. Cases with more capacity than the 30/06 start them out at about the same velocity that smaller cases do with lighter bullets;and the good construction of todays bullets insures good penetration and enough integrity and weight to penetrate and break up bone along the way.

Most of this is accomplished with somewhat lighter powder charges than the 300's which, along with slightly lighter bullets, gets you kicked a bit less,which means you can build a somewhat lighter rifle.

These days I shoot a couple of 7mm mags regularly; I also get to shoot a pal's 300 Weatherby.My 7mm's are both lighter;the 300 Weatherby requires a lot more attention and a firmer grip to maintain control than either of my 7mm's.Last session with his 300 Weatherby involved about a box of ammo in an afternoon and I had about had it after that session... blush

Hunkering down and torching off powder charges in the mid-80's behind 200 gr bullets at 3100 fps from a blown out 300 is ok for a few shots, but I'll take a charge of 73 gr with a 175 from the Mashburn for about the same velocity...this may be age related. grin

None of this is "magic",nor "ego", nor expectations of miraculous effect,the presence or absence of belts(another silly notion) or (silliest of all)where you happen to have been born or live...it's pure physics at the "sending" end, and the "receiving" end,and nothing more. smile

Good post Bob. I also have a rifle almost like Utah's, but with the bolt on the other side. It's a great deer rifle wink

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: That thing will kill an elk, too! smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'll have to sneak up real close and shoot em point blank. It's only a 270 Bob... laugh I'm going to start a new thread titled, "223 rem or 375H&H for elk"??????

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
What is a "270 Bob"--is it related to the .257 Bob?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was responding to Bob, when I said it's a "270 Bob"...It's Bob's favorite, the 270 Winchester...

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
300 Savage or 30-30 for elk: anything else is overkill, used by small-genitalia compensators!?

With my handloads, I'd take my 700 Classic in 300 Savage out after elk.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The 300 Savage was a pretty popular elk cartridge back before there was a 308. I bet it still kills them dead.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
The 300 Savage was a pretty popular elk cartridge back before there was a 308. I bet it still kills them dead.

Methinks there have been many dead elk laying under a Savage Model 99 in 300 Savage. I might just have to do that myself one year with my Dad's 99 that he took his first elk with.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the local guys hasn't ever used any other cartridge than the .300 Savage on elk, and he's killed a pile of them over the last 35-40 years--and he doesn't even handload.

But he's one of those notorious "resident hunters who can pass up marginal shots."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer,

allow me to retort with a phrase from my native laguage, fitting here:

"Mit voller Hose ist gut stinken..."

Them resident hunters, anyway...

Last edited by Ready; 08/22/14.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yep, the elk thread to end all elk threads! Gonna miss them! frown

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ready,

Now THAT'S funny!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

629 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 79 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,310
Posts18,449,168
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.