Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I hate MRE's. There are so many other things that taste better, are better for you, and way less chemicals. Only the convenience pack is worth grabbing, and only if it has Tabasco sauce.

I use protein bars, cliff bars, etc. combined with jerky dried fruit, tuna in foil bags, and Mountain House meals If going deep. I bring enough food for three days in my day pack. When leaving for longer, I carry enough meals for twice as long as planned. Freeze dried meals are light and way better than being hungry or rationing. I like the rice meals better than noodles for some reason. I've been considering making my own dehydrated meals in vac sealed envelopes but it would require time and ambition which are both at a premium lately.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I prefer the MRE for lunch while hunting. No boiling of water required, thus no need to carry stove. Use the MREs with the heater, just add some water and sit back and relax at a nice spot to watch for elk.

S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pemmican easy to make high in calories

saj #9115296 08/21/14
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/00231.html

I bought the 12 pack from this place before. I usually don't bring a full MRE for a day hunt but I'll break up the contents and supplement it with things like salami and a block of hard cheese.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MRE's are great for when you're needing a meal far from camp. Packing 1 wouldn't be that big a deal and I do it on occasion myself. I stay away from the meals that have seafood in them for obvious reasons.

A John Wayne cracker with peanut butter makes an awesome snack when your needing a quick pick me up.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TXRam
Originally Posted by KC

brymore:

Military MREs are heavy but very convenient and most of the items are actually edible...

That edible part is debatable on most of the ones I remember (spaghetti, BBQ pork patties omelette with ham,...). I was in abt 20yrs ago, they weren't very good then... Chicken ala King and Chicken Spaghetti were the only ones I would eat. The rest got traded or trashed.

Depends on how picky one gets.

RE dehydrated... you need water. You don't need hot water though. Thats your call. Just FYI. Steri pen or an extra bottle of water doesn't take much..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A PBJ or two and a few Snickers bars.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
MRE = Meals Rejected by Ethiopians. :-)

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by BlackHunter
MRE = Meals Rejected by Ethiopians. :-)

Or "three lies in one"

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Most hikers rely on Knorr type dry meals with a can or foil pack of chicken or tuna.

And you know what "most hikers" eat how?

Uhh, I ask them, you dumb SOB.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think there are dehydrated portions in any MRE's now.

I hump mountain house if backpacking; and MREs if day hunting.

Tasty enough. Some are damn good.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Steelhead
A PBJ or two and a few Snickers bars.

Was thinking the same, especially coming back to the truck each night.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Today's MREs are nothing like the rations most guys remember. I buy current issue MREs and the smaller TOTMs at my base commissary. (I'm a retiree and can shop there.) They're pretty good food.

The best source of such meals is at TheEpiCenter. You can buy individual entrees, side dishes and all the extras. Pick and choose. They also sell Mountain House and much, MUCH more.

Se their taste-test reviews on Youtube and peruse their offerings HERE

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I can't believe it, a guy actually answered the OP's question, outstanding! I'm gonna look there myself.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by brymoore
I'm preparing for a hunt that I will be truck camping and doing long day hikes to hunt. I'll be out past dark glassing. I thought packing an MRE would be a good idea for dinner in the field.

Any recommendations for who/what to buy MREs? I've at military issued MREs but not the civilian versions.
KNow any wildland firefighters? Lots of them seem to have a stash of them around...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most hikers rely on Knorr type dry meals with a can or foil pack of chicken or tuna.

And you know what "most hikers" eat how?

Uhh, I ask them, you dumb SOB.

uhhh, you ask "most hikers?" How dat?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
On the AT, bozo. I've hiked the GA and NC portions. Several of the stretches probably a dozen times. Also the Benton McCaye Trail. I typically don't sleep in the shelters but usually hang my hammock near them as that is most often where the water source is. AT hiking tends to have a social component in the warmer months.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, most hikers hike the AT when you're there, they stop to be interviewed by you on their food choices, and you compare that to all the other hikers everywhere who also mysteriously give you input on their food choices.

Got it.

My bad.....

John Stark.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
So, most hikers hike the AT when you're there, they stop to be interviewed by you on their food choices, and you compare that to all the other hikers everywhere who also mysteriously give you input on their food choices.

Got it.

My bad.....

You stupid bastard. People tend to COOK SUPPER at the shelters, and yes food resupply is often a topic of discussion among hikers, along with keeping educated squirrels, shelter rats and bears away from same.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Got it.

My bad.....

You stupid bastard. People tend to COOK SUPPER at the shelters, and yes food resupply is often a topic of discussion among hikers, along with keeping educated squirrels, shelter rats and bears away from same.

One of us is a stupid bastard, but it isn't me.

John Stark.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (300_savage, 6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 5sdad, 18 invisible), 1,600 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.