Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Listing to a podcast on WWI. It's a really good series BTW and is timely with the 100 year anniversary of the start of the war (http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php/hharchive) upon us.

Currently at the point of the Battle of Verdun (1915). Leading up to it Carlin mentions some of the most horrific battles soldiers have experienced. He mentions Stalingrad, Cannae (where Roman soldiers dug holes to bury their heads and suffocate themselves, it was so bad), and Verdun.

Given the conditions, length of time, and objective (Germany was trying to just set up a meat grinder to impose as much casualties on the French and British as possible), I'd have to say being a soldier at Verdun had to be the worst.

Other battles/sieges as candidates for the worst possible experience?

Carpe' Scrotum
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Verdun was a horrorshow, to be sure, but it was only the 4th bloodiest battle of WWI with 976,000 total casualties. The 3 worst battles were:

3. The Battle of the Somme (1916), 1,219,201 casualties (623,000 Allied, 600,000 German). On the worst day of that battle the British army suffered over 60,000 casualties.

2. The Ludendorff Offensive (1918), 1,539,715 casualties (850,000 Allied, 680,000 German).

1. The Hundred Days Offensive (1918), which basically ended the war: 1,855,369 casualties (1.07 million Allied, 786,000 German).

These numbers are staggering to the imagination. The bloodiest battle of the Civil War was Gettysburg, which resulted in 51,000 casualties. This in no way addresses the subjective level of horror experienced by combatants, which really can't be measured.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The numbers are bad but the conditions in the trenches along with the introduction of chemical warfare is appallingly grotesque.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many civil war battles come to mind as do WWII,Korea and especially for me the A Shau valley in Vietnam.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doc, I believe that Verdun was the Horror Battle of all time. Every official account or narrative I have ever seen agrees with that.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Carlin also talks about the length of the battles and how taxing that was on the soldiers. Churchill said that to use the term battles was incorrect.

They were more similar to sieges. Battles up to that time and after were hours to days at the most. Verdun lasted for something like 8 months.

Battles also tend to move.

Trench warfare just doesn't. Soldiers had to live amongst the bodies of the fallen for months on end. That some of the 'floors' of the trenches were spring like due to the bodies. That soldiers endured weeks of constant shelling.

That this was the first and last time that soldiers had to endure these types of conditions for those lengths of time.

Kinda makes one understand how Tolkien came up with Mordor and other scenes for his Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

Carpe' Scrotum
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Doc, I believe that Verdun was the Horror Battle of all time. Every official account or narrative I have ever seen agrees with that.

Before you take those accounts at face value, you have to remember that most of them were written by the French, as it was primarily the French army that took the brunt of the German offensive in that battle. I'm not saying the French are wimps by any means, but French battle histories in any war from Napoleon on tend to be a lot more florid than British or German histories.

For my money, I believe that Ypres might have been at least as horrific as Verdun, in a subjective horror sense, although it didn't produce the same numbers of casualties.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Passchendaele was no picnic.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/history/first-world-war/fact_sheets/passchendaele

My great Uncle Ewan Cameron died there, he left Vancouver in 1914 went to England and signed up with the Royal Marines.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Those who haven't read "A Rifleman Went to War" by Maj Herbert McBride should give it a read. For all that war's horrors he maintained a "clinical detatchment" that appeared to make him oblivious to it. Jeff Cooper said it was the most remarkable book he ever read. NRA Bookshelf has it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I think the overall conditions of the "battle" have to be taken into account. A whole lot of Tommies didn't have it so rough on the first day of the first battle of the Somme, they were just mowed down and killed right away so they didn't have long to suffer. One soldier doesn't care that much about total casualties as long as he isn't one of them. The overall scope doesn't worry him either, he only cares about the volume of machine guns, rifles, spears, arrows or whatever directly ahead of him.

That idea of living for weeks or months on end among rotting bodies and human sh*t and the sights and smell accompanying those would have to account for "worst possible battle". E.B. Sledge describes some scenes in the battle for Okinawa that bring that idea to life.

To that end those trenches in WWI had to be among the worst conditions to live in ever. With honorable mention to the whole damn Russian front in WWII.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
per the caption on the thread, I believe the answer is the one you are in.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Everybody seems to be focusing their responses on industrialized (modern) warfare, but consider that the soldiers from antiquity through the middle ages often suffered through thirst, starvation, exposure, and disease just to get to the battle, and that the surviving losers were often subjected to such niceties as enslavement, blinding, maiming, and emasculation.

It truly would have sucked to have been one of them.

ego operor non tutela
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Yeah, I think the overall conditions of the "battle" have to be taken into account.

Need to factor in a War in extreme cold. If you get a chance read ... Breakout: The Chosin Reservoir.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gadfly
Everybody seems to be focusing their responses on industrialized (modern) warfare, but consider that the soldiers from antiquity through the middle ages often suffered through thirst, starvation, exposure, and disease just to get to the battle, and that the surviving losers were often subjected to such niceties as enslavement, blinding, maiming, and emasculation.

It truly would have sucked to have been one of them.

This sounds a lot like ISIS on the march currently. smirk

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hotload
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Yeah, I think the overall conditions of the "battle" have to be taken into account.

Need to factor in a War in extreme cold. If you get a chance read ... Breakout: The Chosin Reservoir.

I had actually put that one in my original post and then deleted it.

Intensity of battle over time would also factor in. Chosin and the Battle of the Bulge were both fought in painful cold. Iwo Jima was intense,non-stop fighting for weeks, as was Okinawa and many other Pacific battles, many fought in extreme heat.

To be honest, the German Army in the 20th Century could probably hold the title for having fought in the worst battles - and after brief initial victories they were always falling back which is a lot tougher to endure psychologically.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
per the caption on the thread, I believe the answer is the one you are in.

This is probably the right answer. To a soldier who was killed in the invasion of Grenada or the Honduras-El Salvador Soccer War, that battle was the worst.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Pelelui is considered by many Marines to be it's toughest battle. Especially when you consider it probably should have been by-passed rather than seized.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Those who haven't read "A Rifleman Went to War" by Maj Herbert McBride should give it a read. For all that war's horrors he maintained a "clinical detatchment" that appeared to make him oblivious to it. Jeff Cooper said it was the most remarkable book he ever read. NRA Bookshelf has it.

Was that so hard? smile

That was a worthwhile post that added something positive, you dumbass! wink

But to the thread, where do you battle-history students place Gettysburg?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well in the Civil war about twice as many died from disease as died from battlefield wounds. So even when they weren't fighting, conditions were pretty horrible. And then when the fighting started, it just made a horrible situation much worse.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
incredible

Americans expended 13.32 million rounds of 30-calibre, 1.52 million rounds of 45-calibre, 693,657 rounds of 50-calibre bullets, 118,262 hand grenades and approximately 150,000 mortar rounds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Peleliu

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,838 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,154
Posts18,465,082
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.