Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by SU35
GWB,

Try empty fired brass for your "You Tube" not a loaded cartridge with a bullet seated.

10/4
will do.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Don't know whether you'll take my word for it, but I just tried empty brass in both the 260 Rem (m75) and the 308(m85).
In niether case did the brass contact/hit the bottom of the scope.

Best,

GWB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Long Actions?

Laughing.

Wow..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Long Actions?

Laughing.

Wow..............

[Linked Image]

didn't realize Sakos chambered 260 Rem and 308 Win in Long actions.

JAFO,

GWB

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Don't be bothered by the annoying man behind the curtain...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Which mighta' been THE point.

Hint.

Laughing!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
shrapnel,

Be sure and talk out your ass at every opportunity...you are doing "great".

Laughing!...............

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have 85's in every length *except* long and have never had the problem. I wonder if some minor tweak to the extractor or ejector wouldn't solve the problem.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Cycle faster

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Hint.

Dying here!

Hey guys, I just cycled some rounds though my short action Ruger. Worked great. Not sure why your LONG ACTION SAKO 85 is having issues since my Ruger isn't.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ringworm
Cycle faster

That just drops 'em back in the action faster....

The long action, 85 series, simply sucks. The older 75's and other long action models may have been good to go, but the new design is horrible for anything on the '06 case.

I suppose you could mount your scope 3" high and rotate the turrets, that's just not my game....and it wasn't just the turrets the brass was hitting. A large portion of the time the brass would simply go straight up, hit the bottom of the scope and fall back in the action regardless of cycle speed. This was with their uber OptiLock rings and bases. It's a flawed design...period.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
SAS,

never seem to have that problem with my single shots.

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Long action is definitely a problem.

I had 2 Black Bears - 308 was fine , 9.3x 63 did the same as this rifle. This is a U-tube clip that a mate of mine did recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0BJfcIvj3Q

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I suppose you could mount your scope 3" high

Yet another application where Ultra-High Scope Mounts would shine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by local_favorite
Well I get the rifle in the vise with scope on top and decide to test the ejection because of what I've read previously about them and sure enough, live and empty cases both hit the turret every time. So I use my blocks to raise it up a little more, still hits.

Called and emailed EuroOptic.com today to see about returning it for another one. It sucks because it really its a beautiful rifle.

I have a M85 Black Bear chambered 9.3x62 with a 30mm tube S&B Zenith mounted in the newer Optilock Ringmounts. The scope tube center is mounted 1.64" over the bore centerline above the chamber. I shot this rifle with the scope mounted and with it removed to address the iron sights. So far, it has proven to be the most reliable "out the box" production rifle I've handled when it comes to feeding. Even though this Zenith is markedly bulkier over the ejection port compared to a standard 1" Leupold hunting scope with normal turrets, my rifle cycles exceedingly well with no issues. I also have experience with 85s in 338 and 375, in addition to this latest 9.3x62. All functioned correctly out the box with the last being near perfection.

As to scope height, I mount a rifle same as I mount an upland shotgun, without any stock crawl. I find my combination to be a perfect height for my mount, I'd not want it any higher or lower. The dimensions of the Sako stock place my line of sight down the center of the scope tube using the ringmounts. If I were a certified member of the stock crawlers guild, I'd have trouble with the Sako ergonomics.

I just inspected mine by cycling fired Lapua, Norma, and Hornady cases. Cycling fast or slow, the extractor claw holds the case against the bolt face until it strikes the ejector. The ejector only makes the case tilt up high enough to clear the outer lip of the ejection port, and then at that point, the claw extractor pulls and flips the case in its direction which is the correct angle to clear the outer lip of the ejection port and go under the scope body. The force of ejection is completely controlled by the force used to operate the bolt, but the angles stay the same. If I reduce the force to bare minimum, the angles stay the same, but gravity pulls the case back into the port.

Same occurs using live rounds, but the added weight of the bullet requires additional force on the bolt to overcome.

I'd be curious if something was amiss with your claw extractor. Maybe it has a weak hold on the case against the bolt face and is overpowered by the ejector. Possibly this limits its ability to pull and eject the spent case towards its position. If this were the case, I could see how the ejector could dominate the process and push the case through the extractor straight up into the scope body. Maybe a combination of things, including the case dimensions itself, could weaken the extractor hold on the case causing such issue. Regardless, the design is outstanding, but just like my 98s and 70s, at times, things need a bit of tuning out the box. Otherwise, I would like to see a pic of your (blocks?) and testing contraption set-up. What kind of height are you raising the optic center above bore center, etc.?

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This should give you an idea of my setup in relation to the bore center and fixed sight height. I have a custom guild smith model 70 that was fit to my dimensions having a similar stock profile. That rifle has custom QD mounts to set the optical center of my scope tube a measured 1.55" above the bore centerline over the chamber. The difference in height between that custom fit M70 and this out the box Sako is only .09", so for me, the out the box Sako is almost a custom made fit using the out the box Optilock ringmounts.

[Linked Image]

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Hint.

Dying here!

Hey guys, I just cycled some rounds though my short action Ruger. Worked great. Not sure why your LONG ACTION SAKO 85 is having issues since my Ruger isn't.

Coke Bottle and The Mexican...are on FIRE!.....................

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gary VA

Any chance of a U tube clip on your rifle ejecting the cases?

It would be very interesting to compare it to the link I posted above�...

Last edited by mlg; 08/22/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I posted a video here a couple years back in comparison to a d'arcy echols rifle running through a full magazine box. It hung with the custom rifle at an impressive blinding speed without a single blip or hiccup, and the ejected cases had not a blemish. I'll need to search and find the video, but the pic below is of one of the cases from the video that was ejected from the 9.3x62 Sako. I've been running the same rifle since, and it continues to run top shelf.

Don't want to fiddle with mine because it is spot on, but thinking you should be able to increase or reduce the coil spring tension for the extractor claw for best function. Also, would think a bad batch of brass may cause an ill fit, especially if combined with a weak spring.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GaryVA; 08/22/14.

- Clint Eastwood
M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Interesting. That case certainly does not appear to be hitting the scope.

My particular rifle went back to the importer here together with a few bent cases for evidence, and a couple of weeks later I got it back with a message saying that there was nothing they could do about it.

I tried 3 makes of brass - Norma, RWS and Lapua with the same results.

My rifle went back.

I also know of a 30/06 with the same problem that was sent to a local gunsmith and they also failed to fix the problem.

Its very strange that some have the problem and some don't.

Last edited by mlg; 08/22/14.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,460
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.