Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Am considering purchasing some crampons for the Kodiak Island goat hunt but have never used crampons before. Mostly for wet grass or icy conditions. What style and price range will get me what is needed? Thanks

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
They can keep you from sliding to your death. They can also break your ankle and leave you stranded. Katoohla makes some light ones. Katoohla microspikes might actually be what you need. I'll let someone who's been to Kodiak answer that one. PM AK Lanche

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've only hunted on Kodiak once. That was last December and I climbed 1,500' to 2,500' every day while hunting blacktails. I never wished for a pair of crampons.

For over ten years, I made 10 to 12 extreme alpine mixed rock & ice climbs every year. So I know about crampons. They will not prevent you from falling to your death. You can arrest a fall with an alpine ice axe if you know what you're doing but crampons are more likely to trip you into a fall than prevent a fall. That's even more true if you're unfamiliar with how to use them.

If you're determined to buy ice tools, then I recommend that you get a good alpine ice axe and learn how to use it. AND you get a pair of flexible crampons. Do not try to use crampons without an ice axe or a trekking pole with arrest handles.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't know squat about crampons, bought my first pair of Hillsound trail crampons last year. I used them for hiking on some snow-and ice-packed trails, none of which were exposed but they did have some steep sections that I would've had a really hard time negotiating without the spikes, as some sections were really icy. So they came in really handy for that application, without an ice axe and without worrying about being tripped up. The spikes are short enough on trail crampons so that's not really an issue, at least it wasn't for me.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
I don't know squat about crampons, bought my first pair of Hillsound trail crampons last year. I used them for hiking on some snow-and ice-packed trails, none of which were exposed but they did have some steep sections that I would've had a really hard time negotiating without the spikes, as some sections were really icy. So they came in really handy for that application, without an ice axe and without worrying about being tripped up. The spikes are short enough on trail crampons so that's not really an issue, at least it wasn't for me.

If you attempt to hike the AT north of GA from JAN to early MAR without Kahtoola micros, hillsounds or similar, you take a pretty significant risk of a fractured rib(s) arm, clavicle etc. Happens every year. What happens even more often is someone will take a bad fall with no Fx and they'll have to literally crawl off the trail and wait for a thaw.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aside from doing this,

[Linked Image]

my crampons gather dust on a shelf.

True crampons are great for climbing steep to vertical thick ice or frozen snow. The are somewhere between poor, treacherous and dangerous on thin ice, rock or wet ground. They are a specialized piece of equipment that as mentioned need to be paired with other specialized equipment and training in their use.

For non technical icy trails, something I find myself on much more often than vertical ice, yaktrax [Linked Image] or similar are a much better choice.

Just as 4wd drive can give one a false sense of security and get you further into the boonies before you get stuck, crampons can get you into a position you have no business getting yourself in and one you are unable to get yourself out of.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I were hunting in near vertical terrain, I wouldn't hesitate to use crampons. There have been several hunters killed over the last few years here in Alaska while goat hunting. You step on some wet grass on a near vertical sidehill and the results can be disastrous.

I know of one case where exactly that happened and the hunter fell to his death.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yaktrax have a very poor rep amongst early season AT hikers, they used to fall apart PDQ. Maybe they've improved.

F
F
For mountain climbs that have glaciers or ice climbing I use crampons but as KC stated it you are using crampons then use them with an ice axe. For slick or icy terrain I use Kahtoola microspikes. They work great in conditions that don't warrant full blown crampons. With that said when I do use the micros I still take care and use hiking poles with good tips to insure a slip doesn't turn into a fall.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have done a lot of high alpine hunting and guiding for tahr and chamois. Over the winter I sometimes carry the smaller instep crampons just in case they may be needed and have occasionally used them for steep slippery grass slopes, but never deliberately used them to access steep icy area's - if you need them for that, then you need full crampons fitted to crampon compatible boots. BUT I have used them to cross steep shingle and scree slopes late in the day when the sun has gone off them and the light snow that was easy to walk across in the morning has now thawed somewhat and then frozen proving treacherous for the return to the hut. And as said previously, only use them with either an ice axe or trekking pole strong enough for the task, and adequate knowledge of how to use them correctly.
If you go for full crampons there are a number of good quality lighter models available both for rigid or flexible boots. And you will definitely need a good iceaxe to go with them. And most importantly you will need some good instruction on how to use them and how to self arrest should you fall. If you are going to that extent, then probably pay to have a good mate with you as well who is also suitably trained, and then you need a decent rope and know how to belay.......the list goes on.

Guide/Outfitter, NZ Backcountry Guides, fishing and hunting since 1985
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another vote for the Katoolahs or other brand of 'micro-spike' type. Doubtful that you will need 12-point. And like the advice for goat hunts of not taking climbing rope, if you think you need it you are in the wrong spot. wink

The micros will be helpful on steep slopes covered with grass, especially if wet and growing that skunk cabbage vegetation.

I like Yaktrax and use them quite a bit in the winter, but find them lacking on slick slopes like Skyline Trail. They just don't have enough bite, IMO&E.

You can get an aluminium set and not be concerned about the weight.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I favor the hillsound trail for your purposes, microspikes are fine too.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Another vote for hillsound trail or microspikes. And a second for using them to get out of a situation, not into one.

I also like the Kahtoola KTS in steel (http://kahtoola.com/product/kts-steel-hiking-crampon)

Rock seems to be pretty tough on aluminum crampons and if you play in a bunch of mixed rock and ice, you'll go crazy putting them on and taking them off.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
thanks for all the input guys. If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like many of you think the micro-spikes might be helpful in wet-slippery conditions and that they'd be safe for a rookie like me to use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My pard uses the aluminum Kahtoola KTS for conditions you are asking about. I'd probably go steel as the weight penalty really isn't one as it's only an ounce or so.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dittos here. Bought steel Katoola's a couple of seasons ago and absolutely love them for NW coastal hunting on steep wet wood and moss, as well as on icy snow. I hunts cats all winter in Coastal BC.

A friend who is a superb blacktail hunter on the WA state side of the line near Mt. Baker wears instep crampons routinely on the super steep frosted grass/moss of subalpine avalanche chutes. I have a pair, plus a pair of full crampons without front spikes, and simply don't use them. Clumsy as I am, I risk spiking myself or as said, tripping.

The only downside of a Katoola type might be a spot where the spikes are too short to get a bite through moss etc. Also, once or twice I have had mine pack full of snow which makes them into sled soles for boot skiing. That packing never lasted for more than one or two steps.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Steep snotgrass with a rocky runout is a good place for crampons.

I carried a pair compatible with my norwegian welt wafflestompers on four sheep hunts and used them twice. They were worth every ounce, as one of the times they let me descend a short bare hard ice slope on the glacier, preventing a 1/2 mile backtrack. I lowered the pack down with a cord. If you've ever been loaded with 130+ lbs on loose medial moraine, backtracking might be the final crushing blow to your tenuous mental stability.

H
H

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,692
Posts18,456,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.