Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Biggs300
This year we have our own SO 6-man tipi with a SO large Ti stove. I will carry a Bic lighter or two but based on the potential for wet weather, this year we will be better prepared and will carry a (magnesium and flint) Survivor Fire starter.

Been there, done that and have the tee shirt to account for my failures. A Bic lighter and petroleum jelly soaked cotton swabs were barely enough to get my stove to light when conditions less than idea (read: wet wood and damp conditions in my SO 8-man tipi and large Ti stove). To be fair, I was still warm and comfortable after burning more wood than I should have. Just saying that your combo won't be the do-all-save-all you might think it will be in tough conditions.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
(it's hard to beat propane for tinder)

Not if you're carrying the fuel on your back.

We do a fire-building demo for the survival part of our hunter ed class. Using cotton balls with vaseline and the metal match, with no practice beforehand, it usually lights on the first strike, and almost always by the second.

Perfect conditions, but still it's pretty foolproof.

When my son was in 4th grade they had a survival camp overnight trip and I volunteered to help at the fire starting station. Everyone had to start a fire with vaseline soaked cotton swaps using a flint. It was a good day to learn fire building skills as temps were in the teens and it was snowing and windy. Every kid managed to get a fire started, but if you took too much time the cotton ball would start getting wet from the snow and be harder to start.

Of course that's the catch 22 of starting a fire, when you really need one you and your fuel will be wet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by woods_walker
I have to admit I don't own one. Tried one out many years ago but stayed with kitchen matches in a waterproof container and a good lighter.

Should I reconsider? What brand do you prefer?

Thanks

I carry a small kit in all my packs. Dryer lint, fat wood sticks, a Bic lighter, some water proof matches in a little brass bottle, and a fire steel with striker. Brand does not seem to matter a lot for me.
No one should depend on just one method.

Sam......

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave
There must be something wrong with the ones I have. They keep working.

Travis

Have you ever jumped out of an airplane?

Chickenschidt legs.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You two should get a room.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Not to interrupt, but my legs are fabulous.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Maybe. Do you dress yourself?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Maybe. Do you dress yourself?

Every Monday.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by CLB
Bought mine from firesteel.com. It's all I use anymore. Use it with shaved pitch wood or cotton ball with vaseline. Nothing is easier.

Same here, and from Going Gear as well. Soaked cotton balls and some sparks have been enough even when it's wet out with proper prep, skills.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I received my Survivor Fire Starter yesterday and have played with it a few hours now. I got the 20,000 strike magnesium and flint fire starter with a compass, thermometer, and signal mirror. I have to say, I'm impressed�with the fire starter. The additional features all work but will be marginally useful at best. The striker and flint throw's off a good spark and the magnesium appears to be very pure as it is highly flammable and creates a HOT, sustained flame. It should be easy to start a fire. It will be useful to start up my Ti tipi stove on this year's elk hunt.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dwayne-
First off, I commend you on what a gentleman's gentleman you always are in your replies. I wish I could emulate that.

Secondly, thank you for the reply. At the time it was posted I was traveling and have missed this thread since.

I'm uncertain where I got the hacksaw blade info from, but after not having a lot of success making sparks with a knife blade, I took that bit of info to heart and found it to be worth far more than I paid for it.

A sparker and Mg bar, VCBs, bicycle tire tube rings, piezo lighter (preferred over Bic flinters) will just about always give a guy something to coax into a fire.

All the best to you too!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
ironbender;
Good evening to you sir, I hope this finds you and yours well this warm August evening.

One of the interesting things I find about forums like this place is that a few of us have arrived at similar conclusions working at the question independently.

I'm speaking of using a chunk of hacksaw blade for a spark scraper here - I discovered that it will shred chunks of magnesium off the block in fine style about the same time.... wink

When I'm teaching the survival night of our BC Hunter Safety course I'll pull out my day pack and show the class it's contents. When I say that unless I'm struck unconscious or become paralyzed - if I'm ever stuck up on the local mountains they'll spot the fire I've built from any satellite. laugh

In my pants pocket during season I carry a Light My Fire steel, along with 0000 steel wool and cotton balls that are soaked in petroleum jelly.

The pack has a pocket torch, waterproof and windproof matches, regular wooden strike anywhere matches and the above mentioned magnesium block.

As others have noted, the ferro rods indeed work best with some tinder much better than others. I've found that fatwood dust, petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls and steel wool and dollar store twine chopped fine works well with them.

There are a bunch of youtube videos comparing the different ferrocerium rods - some with different results - so I'm not sure one is better than another really.

I've played with some offshore ones as well as the Light My Fire one I carry and can't see a whole pile of difference.

Lastly I try to start a few fires every year with a ferro rod, even if it's in the wood stove, the prevailing theory being if I really need to use one someday I'd better be able to do it by the numbers so to speak.

Anyway that's all I've learned about fire starting so far sir, but as it's a bit of a hobby with me like as not I'll continue experimenting as long as I'm able.

Hopefully that was useful information to someone out there tonight and all the best to you and your family this fall ironbender.

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne,

Thanks for your post. Hopefully you and yours are doing well!

Quick question- how are you using the steel wool?

Thanks
Jordan

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Just an additional thought. In cold weather I include a chem hand warmer w/ my kit. Sometimes you just get 1 chance and cold numb hands can help you screw the pooch in a worst case scenario.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Originally Posted by Biggs300
This year we have our own SO 6-man tipi with a SO large Ti stove. I will carry a Bic lighter or two but based on the potential for wet weather, this year we will be better prepared and will carry a (magnesium and flint) Survivor Fire starter.

Been there, done that and have the tee shirt to account for my failures. A Bic lighter and petroleum jelly soaked cotton swabs were barely enough to get my stove to light when conditions less than idea (read: wet wood and damp conditions in my SO 8-man tipi and large Ti stove). To be fair, I was still warm and comfortable after burning more wood than I should have. Just saying that your combo won't be the do-all-save-all you might think it will be in tough conditions.

I understand that wet conditions along with wet wood and kindling make it increasingly difficult to start a fire. I know that the stove doesn't have much to do with starting a fire. Our problem was keeping a good, warming fire going once we got a fire stated. When we did, we were literally smoked out of our tent. Based on three solid test burns (one using wet wood), I don't think that will be a problem with the SO stove.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by BC30cal
ironbender;
Good evening to you sir, I hope this finds you and yours well this warm August evening.

One of the interesting things I find about forums like this place is that a few of us have arrived at similar conclusions working at the question independently.

I'm speaking of using a chunk of hacksaw blade for a spark scraper here - I discovered that it will shred chunks of magnesium off the block in fine style about the same time.... wink

When I'm teaching the survival night of our BC Hunter Safety course I'll pull out my day pack and show the class it's contents. When I say that unless I'm struck unconscious or become paralyzed - if I'm ever stuck up on the local mountains they'll spot the fire I've built from any satellite. laugh

In my pants pocket during season I carry a Light My Fire steel, along with 0000 steel wool and cotton balls that are soaked in petroleum jelly.

The pack has a pocket torch, waterproof and windproof matches, regular wooden strike anywhere matches and the above mentioned magnesium block.

As others have noted, the ferro rods indeed work best with some tinder much better than others. I've found that fatwood dust, petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls and steel wool and dollar store twine chopped fine works well with them.

There are a bunch of youtube videos comparing the different ferrocerium rods - some with different results - so I'm not sure one is better than another really.

I've played with some offshore ones as well as the Light My Fire one I carry and can't see a whole pile of difference.

Lastly I try to start a few fires every year with a ferro rod, even if it's in the wood stove, the prevailing theory being if I really need to use one someday I'd better be able to do it by the numbers so to speak.

Anyway that's all I've learned about fire starting so far sir, but as it's a bit of a hobby with me like as not I'll continue experimenting as long as I'm able.

Hopefully that was useful information to someone out there tonight and all the best to you and your family this fall ironbender.

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne,

Thanks for your post. Hopefully you and yours are doing well!

Quick question- how are you using the steel wool?

Thanks
Jordan

Of course I can't answer for Dwayne, but...

I've only played with 0000 steel wool and batteries. The strands are fine enough that even the small amount of current from a battery will cause them to overheat and be incandescent like a lightbulb filament.

It generates a high temp, but there is not a lot of mass, so you have to use that to get the next level burning - VCBs, bicycle tire tube.

I can see using a firesteel and VCBs and topping with steel wool.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=firestarting+with+steel+wool

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
for 30 years a bic lighter in a zip lock bag and either trioxane or vaseline and cotton balls have never let me down once. From NY to BC and AK not once have they failed me.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Old style camera flash bulbs contained a wad of supper fine steel wool. It was fine enough for the camera battery to ignite it instantly with a flash. Years ago, I'd break open bulbs for the wool and use it to ignite homemade firecrackers. Later the invention of model rocket engine igniters replaced the flash bulbs.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carry matches, a Bic, and a Blastmatch.

The Bic is option 1. The Blastmatch is a spring-loaded sparker that can be used one-handed, which is a plus if you are lost AND hurt. It throws a heck of a shower of sparks and also has a compartment for a starter cube. The matches make fine tinder in a pinch.

I bought some NATO surplus lifeboat matches once and they were defective right out of the package. They had apparently had gotten damp somewhere, even though they were in a sealed plastic tube.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan;
Sorry I missed your question initially Jordan - I hope all is well with you and yours by the way.

So the 0000 steel wool is plastered in petroleum jelly along with the cotton balls.

One gets the wood all set up the way you like it, including smaller bits and then take the steel wool and make a bit of a pocket or nest in it. Insert the cotton ball into the pocket and then hit the cotton ball with the sparks from the fire steel.

The steel wool sort of glows red and to me appears to hold the heat better than cotton balls alone Jordan, which is handy if one is working with damp wood.

I can't for the life of me recall who recommended this to me, but I was skeptical of it burning well until I tried it and sure enough - I was wrong again! laugh

Oh, it really does well with some magnesium chips added into the nest pocket too Jordan.

Hopefully that made sense and was useful information to you or someone out there this afternoon sir. All the best to you folks and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

74 members (bcraig, 160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,022 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,497
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.