Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
YIKES... I see just in what limited print (electronic) media reports I read that just in the last week the "anti-hunters" and the "greens" have filed lawsuits and in one case WON a case! These reports regarded such diverse Hunting endeavors as an organized LEGAL Coyote Hunting event and the Hunting of Sage Grouse in the west!
If anyone is stupid enough to suffer under the conception that the anti-hunters and the greens are not trying to end all Hunting and trapping then said stupido deserves themselves!
The anti-hunters and the greens simply have switched tactics to go after small or individual aspects (ares/regions/policies) of the trapping and Hunting culture/industry ONE AT A TIME.
Sad this - BUT TRUE!
The anti-hunters and the greens should be fought at every opportunity or eventually if we don't fighback enthusiastically we will all suffer/be shut down.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a thread on that coyote hunting derby in the Campfire section.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
Wolverines stink.

I can vouch....worse than skunk - just not as profuse.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It was an old male, with some broken teeth, so probably wasn't going to last much longer.

Just like more than a few of us here I suspect. eek

We have pretty good populations as wolverines go; see plenty of tracks alright. Seeing the animals that make them however... that's a different story.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have, etched into memory, retained an image I am sure I will not see again.

Picture yourself seated in a wet fall on a steep slope above an alaskan salmon run river. You are in heavy timber, looking into a river bend and up along a straight run.

To your side a downfallen tree has left a gap in the canopy that allows you to glass up top in the snowfields.

A billy skylines. Below him a snow patch and some bushes. From here into my field of view walks... a damn wolverine.

Crosses the snow patch and angles up top towards the billy.

Could have gone anywhere...

Went straight up to the billy and the billy moved.

Wolverine don't care.

Last edited by Ready; 08/11/14.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Looks like things may have changed. The head of the USFWS decided says the theory that climate change will affect wolverine populations sometime in the future is too unproven to declare them endangered. This means the Montana FWP doesn't have any reason to end the season.

Of course, there's a big hue and cry among the climate change folks who were lobbying for the designation.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But varmint gay said it was a certainty....

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
But he got that information during a private, informal conversation with an unnamed Montana FWP "official"! How could anybody doubt it?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just went on the Montana FWP website. It said the wolverine trapping season is closed for the forseeable future. I went to trapping and clicked on season dates.

Last edited by Pat85; 08/17/14.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Went and revisited the site and it read district 1-5

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That's because there's (probably) never been any wolverines in MT FWP Regions 6 or 7, so there never was a trapping season set in those two regions for 'weasels on steroids'.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MT_DD_FAN, you are (probably) right about that! I live in Region 5 and I have seen several over the years and just 2 weeks ago my son who manages a ranch north of Red Lodge called me and told me about one that ran into a big culvert! He didn't have the nerve to crawl down into the culvert for a better look! smirk

Just sayin,
Ken

Last edited by kennymauser; 08/18/14.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Trail/game cams are proving wolverines are more widespread than believed. They've been caught on camera in Nebraska, Utah, Washington and Michigan and probably more that I don't know about.

Right. GA DNR swore up and down there were no cougars in GA. Trail cams started turning up pics and they said they were illegal escaped pets. Somebody finally shot one, as according to GA law, if it is not a legal game animal, it is legal for harvest. Turns out it was a young male from the FL population.

GA DNR now says there are cougars in GA and please don't shoot them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guy killed one in his barn in 2000 all the way over by Medicine Lake. It was mounted and I believe that it still sits in the refuge headquarters at Med Lake.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Looks like things may have changed. The head of the USFWS decided says the theory that climate change will affect wolverine populations sometime in the future is too unproven to declare them endangered. This means the Montana FWP doesn't have any reason to end the season.

Of course, there's a big hue and cry among the climate change folks who were lobbying for the designation.

Yeah, that's what that 20+ page "memo" was saying--and the regional director went to great lengths to back it up. That memo read more a full blown literature review.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ranger1
Guy killed one in his barn in 2000 all the way over by Medicine Lake. It was mounted and I believe that it still sits in the refuge headquarters at Med Lake.

Yep, it's still there.

I saw one from the Supercub a few winters back south of Scobey on the Poplar River.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I saw one while jerking around with a bear in Alaska. Too foggy for a good photo, but no doubt about it's being a wolverine. Cool animal to see.

LOL
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, they're unmistakable. I've spent quite a bit of time in the northern wilderness over the decades, from Montana and surrounding states up through western Canada into Alaska, and all across northern Canada. Have only seen two, one in Alaska and the other I managed to take in the Northwest Territories. Have only seen tracks in Montana.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
When I was a Boy Scout in the mid-70s ('73) to be precise we went on a 50 mile hike in the Uintah mountains (Utah for you eastern boys). We were spread out on a high mountain trail and I saw a critter at the edge of a meadow I'm guessing 500 yards away. I am certain it was a Wolverine. It was low to the ground, had the form of a wolverine (I was a huge wildlife fanatic back then and knew my critters), moved like a wolverine and it was too small to be a bear. I had already had a pet badger and I knew a fair bit about the weasel family. It was definitely not a cougar or coyote. I believed at the time I had seen a wolverine and still do.

Spent a little time in the mountains since and have never seen another.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There are wolverine throughout Northern Canada, but populations are very sparse. I have spent a good bit of time in Wolverine country, but never saw one. Would like to have seen the one that stole the backstraps off the one and only Dall ram that I'm ever likely to shoot. It was warm at the end of August in the mountain range along the border between the Yukon and NWT. I had sunk the deboned meat in plastic bags into the cold water of a glacier fed stream. No idea how that thief found the meat, but he got the best pieces. I found distinctive tooth marks in the empty plastic bag in the morning. I did enjoy the ribs hams and shoulders, but have always wondered since what sheep backstrap tastes like. Good I bet!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
almost ran over one in 1981 when it ran across hwy 97 south of Bend Ore. was hauling logs to Gilchrist.. it was the one and only I've ever seen. interesting running gait.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

294 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 33 invisible), 1,426 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,607
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.