For sale I believe in the states
Cheers

One in the hand is better than two in the bush

Graham
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hmm.. $14,500 for a demilitarized cannon. I'll have to pass. grin

I know they produced a ton of Lewis machineguns and Enfields, but never heard of them making cannons. But since they were bought by Driggs-Seabury in 1915, I wouldn't be surprised that Driggs-Seabury had a division making heavy arms and Savage got put on the guns. Doesn't really make it a Savage gun, per se..

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still, just wicked bad! Would love to have it mounted out on the front lawn. grin Just might keep the a$$holes that stole my lawn tractor last night away. wink grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Hmm.. $14,500 for a demilitarized cannon. I'll have to pass. grin

I know they produced a ton of Lewis machineguns and Enfields, but never heard of them making cannons. But since they were bought by Driggs-Seabury in 1915, I wouldn't be surprised that Driggs-Seabury had a division making heavy arms and Savage got put on the guns. Doesn't really make it a Savage gun, per se..

..still,.. it would be kinda fun to hang the mail box on it.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Great roo gun, under the spot light in the big mobs, would'nt have to worry about skinning them

Johno

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What is it, exactly? Obviously a naval deck gun. Perhaps a 6-pounder? Dunno.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, it's a six pounder.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Lots of US ships had "quick firing" six pounders for protection against torpedo boats and other hostile fast movers. They probably were made somewhat redundant when heavy machine guns came into their own, but in early WWII, we were still trying to figure out what machine guns were for....we learned. The hard way.

A six-pounder in WWII was 57mm. Were these?

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the 1917 Annual Message Of the President To The Two Houses of Congress, there is this:

13 The present year has seen an unprecedented demand for guns of from 3 to 5 inches in caliber, a demand entirely beyond the capacity of existing manufacturing establishments to produce. At the outbreak of the present war, all spare guns from 6 inch 45 caliber to 3 pounder, inclusive, for which mounts were available, were grouped into reserve batteries, and either tentatively or finally assigned to merchant ships. The bureau realized that there was a shortage of these guns, and at the time the war broke out was manufacturing approximately 300 guns to form into additional reserve batteries. However, the peculiar conditions of this war have required approximately 5,000 guns for this purpose. It immediately developed that the forging capacity of the country was entirely inadequate to meet the demands of the Army or the Navy, to say nothing of the requirements of both. It therefore became necessary to initiate new plants into the manufacture of both guns and gun forgings.

14 The bureau succeeded in enlisting the services of several new firms in the Middle West, and has endeavored to give them every assistance in the way of advice from skilled personnel that could be found. That more firms could not be interested was due to the fact that money to permit of plant extension was not obtainable. To relieve this situation, the bureau under date of June 5, 1917 drew up a letter to the Secretary of the Navy, requesting that Congress be asked to authorize the payment of advances to contractors not to exceed 30 per cent of the total amount of their contract, such advance to be covered by suitable bonds.

15 This bureau is assisting in developing increased capacity and output in the following plants:
The Inland Ordnance Co at Bedford, Ohio.
Taylor Wharton Iron & Steel Co., Philadelphia, Pa.
Alloy Steel Forging Co at Pittsburgh, Pa.

16 In addition the Midvale Steel Co. and the Erie Forge Co. have made large extensions to their plants.

17 The following new concerns have undertaken the manufacture of guns:
Root & Vandervoort Co., East Moline, Ill.
Defiance Machine Works, Defiance, Ohio.
The American Radiator Co., Bayonne, NJ.
Inland Ordnance Co., Bedford, Ohio.
Poole Engine & Machine Co., Baltimore, Md.

18 In addition the resources of the Bridgeport Projectile Co. have been expanded and contracts placed with the Driggs Ordnance Co., and the General Ordnance Co., the Savage Arms Co., and the American & British Manufacturing Co., to the extent of their capacity. The Bethlehem Steel Co. having been assigned to the Ordnance Department of the Army, this bureau has obtained none of their new forging output. Owing to the length of time that is required for new concerns to prepare for and become accustomed to the processes of gun forging and gun manufacture, the earliest deliveries under these new capacities will not be obtained until January or February 1918. Until that date there will be a large shortage of guns, but the bureau hopes to be able to meet the large destroyer construction program and to arm all ships being built or taken over by the Shipping Board, with but slight delay.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Made in Pennsylvania...

From the Savage Arms Annual Report for end of 1918:

Your plant at Sharon Pa was operated successfully in the manufacturing of three inch and six pounder guns for the United States Navy, motor truck frames for the United States Army, and other material for motor trucks, all of which was directly or indirectly for the United States Government.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I wonder how many 00 buck would fit in a case???

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
" Doesn't really make it a Savage gun, per se.."

This is not meant to be argumentative or confrontational at all. I respect all of you Savage experts immensely.

I found Calhoun's comment interesting. If being made by Savage doesn't make it a real Savage what does? I'm thinking rifles like the '03s made by Smith Corona are Smith Caronas....International Harvester...etc.

Any thoughts?

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In my mind it's a Driggs-Seabury gun. Still a Savage name on it and I'd love to have one. But the Lewis's and Enfields and Thompsons and Browning 50 cals were all made with in-house Savage expertise and engineering, I would imagine this was done with Driggs-Seabury expertise and engineering.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...and at the "plant at Sharon Pa " vs. Utica, NY. But, it still carries the Savage name.

Interesting subject that I knew little about. I found a post-WWI ad about Savage Arms truck parts, many years back. At the time I wondered if there was a second plant that I had not heard of. Thanks to the ability to search old records more of this story is surfacing.

Always something new to learn! My thanks to Graham for posting and to Rory for digging. smile

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (1lesfox, 1Longbow, 160user, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,788
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.