24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I just got my latest Bass Pro flyer and it has that electric smoker in there for $99.
Any feedback yay or nay on these?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They had problems a couple years ago with wires getting burned up. Don't know if that problem was corrected or not. I have a buddy who has one he bought last year....so far so good, and he uses it quite often.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm trying to resurrect the "smoke crazy" part of me. Your responses set off several hours of research. You folks on the campfire, of all people, understand how you take a morsel of information and go with it for hours of research.

I had an old charcoal Brinkman Smoke-n-Grill for decades that I smoked and grilled hundreds of pounds of beef, pork, chicken, fish, you name it through that I paid $24 for back in the 80's. My ex finally threw it out one day when I was wasn't home because she thought the chalky discoloration on the dome and the rust pitting on the bottom of the cylinder was unhealthy and unappealing. smile
What I wanted to say was... WTF! It's smoke for God's sake! We're all gonna die!

I've got a nice Weber gas out back, a small Weber kettle on stilts on the front porch, and a big slug side by side firepit/grill that hardly gets used any more with the kids gone.

I'm just looking for something smallish quality that I can set it and forget it. You all's input led me to a Smokin-It #1. (Little pricey). Master Built Sportsman Elite, Weber Smokey Mountain.

BTW, the one at BassPro is a 30". I thought it was a 40".

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would go with the WSM. I see a lot of guys win with those smokers.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
I would go with the WSM. I see a lot of guys win with those smokers.

Mike

So easy, Denny can do it ! laugh

I use an extra large water pan and haven't changed my draft settings in years.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The question became:
1. Take a chance on the MES30 at $99.
or
2. spending approx. another $100 for the WSM or $180 for the Smokin-It.

I went with the MES30 and I can tell you that after my first smoke, I like it. I seasoned it first before cooking anything. First night after purchase and assembly was a wide open burn for 1 hour. The second night I wiped it all down to get any metal crud out and did a 2.5 hour burn with a light coating of bacon grease rubbed all over the interior skin. Last night I fired it up with a full water tray and a 3/4 full tray of apple chips. Let that run for 30 minutes. Then, put in a rack of chicken drummettes and boneless thighs I had just brined for 2 days in anticpation, patted dry, and rubbed with the "Bone Dry" rub I found here:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/110/electric-smokers

Thanks to 284LUVR putting me on that BBS!

I smoked for exactly 1 hour. Perfect thin blue smoke (TBS). The chicken came out very moist. The Bone Dry rub was a little spicy for me, but my buddy who had been chomping at the bit for the christening was front and center for that. Overall, chicken was nice and juicy with great smoke flavor. Had a few drummettes for lunch today and they were still nice and moist, even after nuking for 1 minute.

The only negative so far was the bottom tray, which holds the water pan and the tinder box, would not slide into the rack slots, as they were positioned too close to the heating element. Tried to call MasterBuilt at 5:30 p.m. EST, but they were already closed for the day. Will check with them tomorrow for fix.

Afterthoughts:
Kinda' surprised about getting the thin blue smoke part on first try.
Maybe a tad ballsey to go with small size chicken parts right out of the gate, but that worked out well.
After leaving BassPro, I realized I had reward points I could have used to partially pay for the smoker.
Gotta find a great brisket!

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Better yet, get the 7 in one Smoker Grill from Cabelas for about $160.00 and enjoy smoked food like you never have before. This is a gas grill and you can smoke or cook without smoke, much better than briquettes or electric...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That's some nice lookin' chow, shrap. Is that Cabelas own brand? I've bought a lot of stuff from them over the years. Just got their new fall catalog.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
That's some nice lookin' chow, shrap. Is that Cabelas own brand? I've bought a lot of stuff from them over the years. Just got their new fall catalog.

It is branded by them, but you can buy the same cooker from good propane stores that don't have Cabelas marked on them and they usually run about $20.00 cheaper...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a Masterbuilt elite smoker 40 and really enjoy the heck out of it.

If you want to get something to slow cook and smoke ribs, brisket and the sort it's the way to go.

If your wanting to learn the art of smoking then it's not - but I'm for simplity and enjoying myself so I'm darn happy with my Masterbuilt.

The 40 will fit a full rack of ribs without cutting them, so many guys go for the 40. Other than that most people go with the Amazing pellet smoking system (google it) and use pellets to get 3+ hours of smoke - In reality you probably only need an hour of smoke for 80+ percent of stuff so it may be overkill.

99 bucks is a great deal BTW.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, I've had the MES30 for a week and a half and having fun with it. Did a pack of drumsticks in it with a different, more mainstream rub this time. Basic salt, pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion, paprika, spritz of cumin and chili powder.

They came out real well. Was struggling with getting photos uploaded to photobucket, but tracked down how to send them directly from phone, and voila.

[Linked Image]

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those look delicious!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by eh76
Those look delicious!

They were killer. Thanks! Preparing a little 3 lb. brisket for smoker overnight now. Got your input on the other thread. Thanks again. You'll see the prep a little bit in that thread. Should have taken another pic with all the rub on, after mustard, before wrapping.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
703 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 3,033 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.