Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by KDK
Kind of a left turn here, but I just took over maintenance duties for the GF's Expedition. When I looked at the last service sticker, I just about stroked out... over 10k miles overdue for an oil chance. So I stopped at NAPA and picked up a Gold oil filter, and filled it up with whatever Mobil 1 calls it's high mileage formula. Apparently, it was also at least three quarts low (of a ~6 quart capacity) and freakin' nasty black. Ouch! Question: Do I just leave the oil and filter on for a normal interval, or do I want to shorten up the first change interval?

Typical Chick vehicle...

I think oil is good enough these days, that it has become more important to pay attention to the filters... I've been using Purolators from Wally World, the past 3 or 4 years and cut down my filter change time from 5K to 3.3 K....( 3 times every 10K, vs 2 times every 10K)...

I have noticed a major difference on how much longer the oil stays cleaner looking.. I run Mobil ONE, for 20 to 25K in my family vehicles depending on which one and who normally drives it as my wife's and son's habits are different that mine... I put the most miles on my vehicles and my wife is mainly short distances around town...

Mobil ONE holds up real well under either extremes...

My two personal vehicles ( that I drive) have 333K on the 94 Camry and 532K on the 88 4Runner..so evidently the stuff and 20 to 25K oil changes on them, seem to work out just fine...

here is what the head looked like at 330K on my 94 Camry 4 cylinder....3000 miles ago...

[Linked Image]

I don't think that looks too bad for 330K and 20 to 25,000 mile oil changes with Mobil One...( although the last 20 K change was with Mobil 15W 40... )

GB2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have used Valvoline or Castrol GTX for oil mostly but have been using Royal Purple in the Rubicon. I change filters twice per oil change in rigs running the dino oil. I try to change the filters at 2500 miles and change the oil at the 5k mark.

With the synthetic I've been changing filters about every 3k miles, and putting between 10k and 12k miles per change. I think I'm changing the oil to early most of the time, but feel the good filters are well worth the money.

I've been using Napa Gold or Platinum filters which are made by WIX.

I've been an industrial mechanic most of my career and have seen most failures due to contamination rather than the oil being worn out. Modern oils have great additive packages. Oxidation ruins oils, so unless you are running really hot or getting moisture in the oil, contamination is most of what you should be concerned with.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's the difference between the Gold and Platinum filters?

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dutch
If your engine oil is that black, I would just do an engine flush. I bought an audi one time that probably never had it's oil changed in the first 40,000 miles. It was sludged up bad, and three consecutive oil changes didn't fix it.

What kind of oil were you using, Dutch?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KDK

Platinums are wire-backed synthetic media.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by Dutch
If your engine oil is that black, I would just do an engine flush. I bought an audi one time that probably never had it's oil changed in the first 40,000 miles. It was sludged up bad, and three consecutive oil changes didn't fix it.

What kind of oil were you using, Dutch?

Just regular dinosaur oil, either Quaker or Penzoil, don't quite remember.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, fellas.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by KDK

The Gold and Platinum are compatible with full synthetic oil and have higher efficiency ratings.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigNate
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by KDK

The Gold and Platinum are compatible with full synthetic oil and have higher efficiency ratings.

NAPA filter guy was out explaining difference. If I remember Gold is 6000 to 7500 mile filter Platinum is 12000 to 15000 mile filter

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Update: I had a little free time this afternoon so I changed the filter today and added a quart at just shy of 1k miles. The oil is starting to darken some, but was still clear enough to see through. I'm going to continue keeping an eye on the color of the oil on the dipstick (not exactly scientific, I know), and try and resist the urge to change it early...

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
ya wanna clean up a sludged gas engine, using diesel motor oil is another good way to do so...they are very high in detergents...

Rotella, Mobil, Chevron 15 W40, or diesel rated 10W30s by them...

Or Mobil or Chevron 5W40 synthetic...

each of these are available at Wally World...for your convenience...

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I'll probably be okay. Another 4k miles I'll drain what's in there and fill it with fresh stuff. I might get an oil analysis done to decide whether we will keep my F150 or her Expedition... we don't need four rigs between the two of us.

Hopefully, we'll be getting rid of both in a year or so for a newer Super Duty.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A trick I learned from a Mercedes Benz mechanic is to put about a pint of ATF in and run it until it's warm then shut it off and drain.

I'm a Rotella fan when it comes to my diesel pick-up.

Samuel Colt.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
684 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 3,081 guests, and 1,444 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.