-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seemed to recall, you had tight reigns on the german language. Thought it fitting. Glad you enjoy it.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
The 300 Savage was a pretty popular elk cartridge back before there was a 308. I bet it still kills them dead.

No. This is wrong. Since elk have taken to juicing, bullets from cartridges sans belts fall off of them.

Word has it that Jose Canseco has been seen in the Colorado Rockies with his BALCO team carrying huge caliber syringes. Word in the woods in that anything less than 20MM fired from an Apache won't work.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess that last elk that dropped like a deflated balloon that got hit from about 90 yards away with my 35 whelen pitching a mere 250 grain 35 caliber speer must have died of pure boredom.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm going on my first elk hunt this year in Colorado. Using a big 7......

x57

smile

I sure hope it works. I ordered a leopard thong as well

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Paradiddle

x57

smile

Got your bases covered. No Problemo.

7x57 elks�

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Ingwe,the last pic with the dog,the two of you look...well.... whistle

Nice brace of elk. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

7x57 elks�

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Lemme guess. All those elk laughed their selves to death when they say you were hunting with that hoary old Mauser. grin

Last edited by hillbillybear; 08/23/14.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice! Showing these pictures to my boy. He's running his 7x57 this Fall for elk in Oregon. He keeps asking if it's enough. I'm pretty sure he'll be just fine. Can't wait to help him start skinning!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Paradiddle

x57

smile

Got your bases covered. No Problemo.

7x57 elks�

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The dog's looking at ingwe like, "you dumb fu ck, now we got to pack these things out of here!!!"..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Nice! Showing these pictures to my boy. He's running his 7x57 this Fall for elk in Oregon. He keeps asking if it's enough. I'm pretty sure he'll be just fine. Can't wait to help him start skinning!

Wish him luck for me. I hope he gets a nice one. A 7x57 will put an elk down like no body's business. Just don't tell ingwe I said that...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Ingwe,the last pic with the dog,the two of you look...well.... whistle

Nice brace of elk. smile

What's he doing to that poor dog eek

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Dunno and I'm gonna leave it there. whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by beretzs

Wish him luck for me. I hope he gets a nice one. A 7x57 will put an elk down like no body's business. Just don't tell ingwe I said that...

Will do. I'll make sure you all see pictures. He is shooting really well.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's awesome Scotty. I'll be looking forward to the pics. Has he shot many big game animals before?

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great pics!

The only 7 mm magnum I now own is a 280AI.

Together with the perfect 7-08 and standard 280.

My favorite elk rifle is in 35 Whelen. After that come several 30-06s, 270s, and 45-70s

Come to think of it, I don't have a favorite elk caliber. They all work well when I do my part.

I do have favorite rifles, though. The rifles that just feel good when carried through the hills, like the rest of my elk gear.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Anyone hunting elk with a magnum 7mm this year, or have we become a bunch of ladies' and kids' cartridge shooters?

The trend toward shorter, lighter, smaller, at longer range for huge animals has me wondering if the ghost of WDM Bell is haunting this site.

A 7mm magnum for elk this year? Nope. Not even in recent years. Since 2006 I�ve taken 7 elk using a .30-06 (3), .300WM (2) and .338WM (2). Prior to that, dating back to 1982 when I started elk hunting, all but one of my elk were taken with a 7mm RM. The exception fell to a heavy .45-70 load that makes my .338WM feel tame. This year I�ll be back to a .30-06 simply because Dad gave me the rifle before he passed away and it has never been in the field.

The 7mm RM was the my first bolt rifle and will probably be the last to go. It kicks about like a .30-06 (often less, depending on the specific loads) but shoots faster and flatter. A good 160 grain bullet will reliably put two holes in an elk and drop them quickly, often in their tracks, as my 7mm RM demonstrated over and over again during the 20+ years where it was the only bolt rifle I used.

What I also found over those years and the time since was that I never needed anything else for big game. My longest shots have been 400 yards (.300WM) and 487 yards (.338WM), both well within the capability of the 7mm RM. In fact, they were within the capability of numerous smaller cartridges as well. I don�t believe there has been a single elk I�ve taken where a .308 Win would not have sufficed. Add a .280 Rem, 7x57, 7mm-08, .270Win, .260 Rem, .25-06 and a range of other cartridges to that list. My elk at 487 yards might have been a stretch for my .257 Roberts with the +P 120g A-Frame loads I use but it is unlikely the elk would have gone far, either.

The question is, why use more than enough than is required to assure a quick, clean kill? While many people can shoot magnums with good accuracy, I�ve never seen anyone who could do so that couldn�t shoot non-magnums just as or more accurately. Frankly, the older I get the more I appreciate efficient, light rifles that have reduced recoil. They are easier to carry, easier to shoot and my daughters and nephews like them better, too. It�s a good hunt when they carry the rifles and I can �borrow� one as needed. Call me a wimp, I call it �smart�.

Will my 7mm RM EVER go in the field again? God willing, yes. In the meantime I have two .30-06s, a .300WM and a .30-30, all virgins, that I want to use as well. Too many options, too little time.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I agree with Redfoxx as the 7 RM and 7 Ultra have both made many one shot kills on bull elk for me over the last 32 years. The Ultra seems effective at longer ranges but then my neighbor has made extended range kills with his 7 RM that equals mine with the Ultra. I once used Partitions but changed to 168 grain Berger VLDs about 9 years ago and never looked back. I have never had to shoot one twice with a VLD.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I HAVE A 7 MAG THAT CANNOT BE BOUGHT.IT WAS MY SON'S MODEL 70 AND I LOST HIM 8 YEARS AGO AND EVERY TIME I CARRY IT A PIECE OF HIM WILL ALWAYS GO WITH ME.SOME WHO DON'T HUNT WOULD HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT BUT I KNOW ALOT OF YOU DO.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
American Association of Professional Game Wardens will be discussing big game cartridges this year at their annual convention to be held in Ferguson, MO. They are going to specifically analyze everything .284 for more of big bore. Seems as though a Louisiana fella done filled up a smallish skunk with 175 grainers form a 7MM Rem Mag, and the pest continued its attack. If it weren't for his wife who was totin' 00 buck in a side x side, the hunter would have been a goner. Nine of those big pellets sent that vermin off to Washington where its stench will fit right it.

Another fella out Nevada way done up & tangled with a vicious rhinolope, a close cousin of the jackolope. That pint sized pest soaked up a half dozen big bullets fired from an anemic 7MM Win Shorty Mag. That danged blasted (literally) hair-horn was last seen gouging Harry Reid's a$s up around Carson City.

The convention down low is that the game wardens are gonna require any shootin' iron that's now rifled for .284 caliber bullets to undergo sensitivity training.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by CRAGGAR
I HAVE A 7 MAG THAT CANNOT BE BOUGHT.IT WAS MY SON'S MODEL 70 AND I LOST HIM 8 YEARS AGO AND EVERY TIME I CARRY IT A PIECE OF HIM WILL ALWAYS GO WITH ME.SOME WHO DON'T HUNT WOULD HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT BUT I KNOW ALOT OF YOU DO.

CRAGGAR,

I am so sorry about the loss of your son. If I knew what to write to help you ease pain in your heart, you'd be reading it.

There are many items in life that are priceless to us. I know your son's 7MM Rem Mag is priceless to you. Your hunting angel will follow you from above while your hunting.

Peace be with you, my friend.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,247
Posts18,466,921
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.