Print Thread
Hop To
B
BC3 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I recently acquired a 270 WBY and want to set up the sizing die for minimal case stretch. I am familiar with the process for regular case neck angles and have used the Hornady tool with much success. Apparently the dual radius shoulder of the WBY case requires the datum measurement to be obtained differently. Which Hornady insert(s) should I be using to determine shoulder position or is there a different method used entirely?
Thanks
Brian

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I set FL centerfire dies to size the case to fit that rifles chamber.

Don't FL size with the die right down to the shell holder.

Set the die, to start, with it backed off of the shell holder and FL a case. Try that empty case in your rifles chamber. When you can feel the bolt close on the case then lock the die ring there.

Also reach inside of every case with a feeler rod to detect incipient head separations.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Also the first time thru make sure you have sufficient lube on the case after a couple or three tries. A stuck case is a terrible thing to waste.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I too shoot the 270 Weatherby, I used to use a Redding deluxe 3 die set, but had stuck cases, now I use a standard FL die set from RCBS.
My rifle is a Win Model 70, what I did was set the safety to the middle position, this takes all of the firing pin spring tension away from the bolt lugs. I sized a case with the die a full turn away from the shell holder, cleaned the case lube off and tried to chamber it. I then screw the die IN at 1/8 turn increments until a case just chambers when closing the bolt with a little resistance, then I turn the die in an additional 1/32 of a turn and tighen the lock ring, this should give a ballpark figure of .002"-.003" head clearance.
If your rifle doesn't have the 3 position safety feature, you may dismantle your bolt to do the same thing, if it's easy to do so. Remingtons aren't that easy to do if you don't know how, but Google will get you out of trouble.

Cheers.
grin

Last edited by 416RigbyHunter; 08/22/14. Reason: stupidness
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Neck down 7mm brass,headspace the false shoulder...toss the Fluff away and use feel.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To hold the firing pin back on bolts that don't have a safety that will do it put the sear in a vise with soft jaws, pull back the firing pin and slip a coin between the firing pin and bolt sleeve.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Also reach inside of every case with a feeler rod to detect incipient head separations.

What a waste of time. If he sets the dies up right, this is totally unnecessary.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 15 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.