Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
And only case hardening isn't necessarily a flaw as it is able to stretch a bit before it goes kaboom. At least according to a friendly gunsmith who has seen a bunch of actions.

Retired cat herder.

BP-B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
KISS.

Paul Mauser really got it right the second time around ('98). The 95 is a POS IMO.

Everything since has been arguable "improvement", with the Win 70 pre 64 (I gotta get me one of those sometime...) and the Springfield '03-A3 (had two) being the best of the lot, the Ruger77 being PDG, the Sako being way down the list (wouldn't own one, having gunsmithed a number of them - I'd even rather have a Savage- or a Weatherby!). I also own Rem 700 and 725 (non-Mauser actions), as well. None of them ( '98's or take-offs or Rems), properly maintained, have failed me in the 30-40 years I've owned them.

I really should buy a new rifle.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

Thank you Sir, that's what I was looking for...

Spot

Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Rugers, winchester, FN, ...

Which higher reliability action and why...

Thanks

With a little knowledgable attention there is little difference in any of them but as they come from the factory

The "weakness" of the Rugers is their small recoil lug and a safety on the action that possibly could be accidentally be bumped when working the action quickly

The "weakness" of the new Winchesters is their pressed on bolt handle and cutout on the barrel for the extractor that can sometimes cause a jam

The 'weakness" of the FN's is that they are no longer being made grin

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by las
KISS.

Paul Mauser really got it right the second time around ('98). The 95 is a POS IMO.

Everything since has been arguable "improvement", with the Win 70 pre 64 (I gotta get me one of those sometime...) and the Springfield '03-A3 (had two) being the best of the lot, the Ruger77 being PDG, the Sako being way down the list (wouldn't own one, having gunsmithed a number of them - I'd even rather have a Savage- or a Weatherby!). I also own Rem 700 and 725 (non-Mauser actions), as well. None of them ( '98's or take-offs or Rems), properly maintained, have failed me in the 30-40 years I've owned them.

I have had a Sako Finnbear L61 (I think) action for 30 years and have carried it hundred of days both in a scabbard and in my hand, killed dozens of head of game and it is on the third barrel. I have never had a single complaint about it. It sports a good trigger, great accuracy, good looks, it's long enough to shoot full length magnums seated out pretty far and extracts pretty efficiently. I don't have an FN mauser action but would love to. I can't find any problems with the Sako though.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
But, but, but Tony Russ says in his Alaska Bear Hunting book that Mausers should be avoided because they have a tendency to jam!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Sako L61R is only a push feed action. The one I am selling only has a trigger safety and not a 3 position safety that controls the firing pin like the M70's.

I got it for $50 back in the 60's and supplied a fine blank and had a smith make a custom stock and install the 375 H&H barrel I supplied. Later I learned that CRF is far more desirable for a hunting rifle and now it's for sale.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by las
KISS.

I have had a Sako Finnbear L61 (I think) action for 30 years and have carried it hundred of days both in a scabbard and in my hand, killed dozens of head of game and it is on the third barrel. I have never had a single complaint about it. It sports a good trigger, great accuracy, good looks, it's long enough to shoot full length magnums seated out pretty far and extracts pretty efficiently. I don't have an FN mauser action but would love to. I can't find any problems with the Sako though.

You just haven't spent enough time on the floor looking for those itty-bitty bolt parts that are supposed to (and do) make the bolt action "smoother"... smile

The M98 is to the bolt world what the Kalishnikov is to the auto-world.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Never had any itt bitty parts fall out! I know it is push feed but it is pretty dang reliable; even feeding Weatherbys

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
But, but, but Tony Russ says in his Alaska Bear Hunting book that Mausers should be avoided because they have a tendency to jam!

Tony has a lot of "interesting" things to say in his books smile

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 458Win

The 'weakness" of the FN's is that they are no longer being made grin

Although the machines used by FN are still operated in Serbia by a company called Zastava.
Not the fine finish the rifles made in Herstal were given, but still...the base is given wink

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The rifle I have probably carried and used the most over the past 30 years is my 458 that was made by Zastava. They are quite similar to the FN actions that Sako used, with the same trigger.
According to Speed's book Mauser even commissioned Zastave to build M-98 actions for them, complete with Mauser marking, during the 1970's.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BCJR
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Tony has a lot of "interesting" things to say in his books smile

You are too kind!

No, really, TOO KIND!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mausers certainly do jam when the cartridges are loaded backwards and am surprised that Paul didn't address that in the improved 98 design...

Perhaps some of the mauser derivatives like Rutger has that figured out.

Will test that for you all once I wear out the 98s.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tomk
Mausers certainly do jam when the cartridges are loaded backwards and am surprised that Paul didn't address that in the improved 98 design...

Belts on cartridges do help with that when things get crazy, fingers are numb, (and/or minds get numb).

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No doubt it was a German idea passed on to the Brits...:)

Defend the Constitution
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Spotshooter,
I read that the Southgate Weatherby actions were made by FN using their superb 300 action.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Were any of these wonders of engineering produced in left hand configs?

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Talus in Arizona,

you can still get Zastava bolt action up to the 458 win mag ...

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
This is a slight aside.
What is the opinion of the CZ550 rifles.
Any experience with them? How do they handle the cold and wet conditions? Are they reliable? Is the set trigger too complicated?
What good points and weaknesses do they have?

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Jorge01,

im not the Phil but a Phil lol.

good CRF version but i still prefer the Zastava.

they accomodate magnum action in an easier way.

they re not that bad but i think they re a little on the heavy side, the magazine trap is made of plastic if it bothers you, specific mounts or rings.

trigger set not complicated but i prefer an adjustable one position.

never heard any issues in the cold nor in the wet.

hope it helps.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
224 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 26 invisible), 1,620 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.