Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gentleman,
When I see a big Eland bull, it does something to me. It's certainly not my favorite animal, which I will probably give that honor to a Bushbuck ram, but there's just something when you see the aura of these magnificent bulls.
Have a look at this one taken by one of our hunters, Preston Van Deusen from Illinois. Please feel free to post yours and pay tribute to some of these great beasts that have fallen by the rifles/bows of our members.

[Linked Image]

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What did that bull weigh? Looks like a whopper. By far my favorite animal to hunt so far. I loved the tracking style of hunting we used. Walked down and passed on several bulls, before taking this tick ridden old timer. He had a nasty wound just below his right eye, that you can see in the photo. Awesome hunt, and glad to have put such a magnificent animal out of it's misery.

Jeff

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jeff,
If my memory serves me right, this bull went around 1700lbs. It took 3 shots from a .416 Rem. I'm really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Eland hunt. I hear too many hunters say that they don't want to hunt one as they remind them too much of cattle, which is a real shame.
They are just such an impressive animal, which will give you the same challenge as any other plains game animal.
Thanks for sharing your bull. Hell of a trophy you got there! Congratulations.

Take Care,
Marius

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Marius, that is a great eland. Nothing like an old blue jean bull.
[Linked Image]

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Marius, that is a Beast of a bull Eland!

I was very impressed with the athleticism of these huge animals the first time I was in their presence. They run and jump like you'd only expect to see a much smaller animal do. I personally found them quite challenging to hunt. I hunted for a big bull for well over a week with my bow in a very target rich environment without ever getting a shot. You cannot depend on waterholes as you can with many other animals.

This is my first bull but I hope it won't be my last.

[Linked Image]

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice eland's

The best one i ever came across was while hunting Cape Buffalo and Eland was not on my license. We came with 30 yards of the Bull before it knew we were there.

Some day i will return and put this at the top of my list...

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Never really thought about hunting eland before.....saw some on my trip, and they way they ran was somewhat comical; don't know quite how to describe it, but it was almost as if they didn't have any knee joints....almost like a "fast shuffle", for lack of a better term.
My P.H. and his wife seem to think that this is the BEST meat of all the wild game; after trying wildebeest, kudu, and gemsbok, I'm thinking I might have to go for one some day....just to try a taste! They other venision was out of this world!
You said it took 3 shots from a 416 to bring it down....would it be possible to take one of these animals humanely with a .30-06 or .338 Win. mag and premium bullets? Would rather put any "extra" monies towards game animals, airfare, or whatever instead of a new rifle.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was very fortunate to see one clear a 7ft fence a couple of years ago. One of the most impressive sights nature has ever given me.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
From a long time ago. Man child running loose in the bush�

[Linked Image]

And one JB got with me in 1999, his first IIRC�.

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 16gauge
Never really thought about hunting eland before.....saw some on my trip, and they way they ran was somewhat comical; don't know quite how to describe it, but it was almost as if they didn't have any knee joints....almost like a "fast shuffle", for lack of a better term.
My P.H. and his wife seem to think that this is the BEST meat of all the wild game; after trying wildebeest, kudu, and gemsbok, I'm thinking I might have to go for one some day....just to try a taste! They other venision was out of this world!
You said it took 3 shots from a 416 to bring it down....would it be possible to take one of these animals humanely with a .30-06 or .338 Win. mag and premium bullets? Would rather put any "extra" monies towards game animals, airfare, or whatever instead of a new rifle.

I sat down to Eland steaks just a couple of weeks ago during my most recent safari in South Africa, and they were as good as ever. It is my favorite wild game meat.

My Eland was taken with a 30.06 using 180 grain Norma Oryx factory ammo. I think I hit him 2 or 3 times, but my first well placed shot was enough to do the job. They are definitely big hardy beasts, but any projectile that enters the vitals will put them down given a bit of time. You certainly do not have to have a special rifle for them.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice bulls by all. I hope to add one to the skinning shed at some point. I've got the smallest duiker in a blue duiker, and i might as well add the largest antelope in an eland.

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mine , from Namibia last year. If the photo shows up.
One shot from .338WM.

Attached Images
Namibia 2013 076 (Small).jpg (78.85 KB, 187 downloads)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is one heck on an eland trophy sir! Mine was an old bull with well-groomed horns. It was a great classic eland hunt though, we tracked a pair of them for over four hours, took him at 175 yards with my 375.

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Awesome pics. Gotta try that some day.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Jeff,
If my memory serves me right, this bull went around 1700lbs. It took 3 shots from a .416 Rem. I'm really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Eland hunt. I hear too many hunters say that they don't want to hunt one as they remind them too much of cattle, which is a real shame.
They are just such an impressive animal, which will give you the same challenge as any other plains game animal.
Thanks for sharing your bull. Hell of a trophy you got there! Congratulations.

Take Care,
Marius

Some serious meat on the hoof there, Marius!

I really enjoyed hunting eland. Beautiful(and tasty!) animal. But it was how we hunted them, that I enjoyed the most. Cut a likely looking track, and walk them down. It was wonderful, and really glad that we got to do it several times before succeeding. Will do it again, for sure!

Regards,

Jeff

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's what I want to hear Jeff! Pleased to hear that you had a good hunt.

Had to cape him on the ground and quarter that bad boy to get him loaded onto the truck.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
That is one heck on an eland trophy sir! Mine was an old bull with well-groomed horns. It was a great classic eland hunt though, we tracked a pair of them for over four hours, took him at 175 yards with my 375.

[Linked Image]

And a world famous PH also.....wow

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI

[Linked Image]

John Sharpe is looking older these days and you are much thinner! I still wouldn't cross John, don't let the grey in his hair fool you.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Awesome pics. Gotta try that some day.

Eland steaks are very tasty. I've had Cape Eland and Lord Derby eland, and both are worthy of Ruth's Chris. Eland, like beef, has fat marbled in the meat that adds to the flavor. I'd love to have a T-bone dry aged from one.

A treat that might surprise you is liver from eland (or kudu). Cooked in butter with a little salt and pepper, it is a delightful delicacy that in no respect will remind you of calf's liver.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I lived on Eland biltong during my recent safari. Man was it good!!! The marbling was fantastic.

Eric

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 12 invisible), 1,557 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,431
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.