Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gentleman,
When I see a big Eland bull, it does something to me. It's certainly not my favorite animal, which I will probably give that honor to a Bushbuck ram, but there's just something when you see the aura of these magnificent bulls.
Have a look at this one taken by one of our hunters, Preston Van Deusen from Illinois. Please feel free to post yours and pay tribute to some of these great beasts that have fallen by the rifles/bows of our members.

[Linked Image]

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What did that bull weigh? Looks like a whopper. By far my favorite animal to hunt so far. I loved the tracking style of hunting we used. Walked down and passed on several bulls, before taking this tick ridden old timer. He had a nasty wound just below his right eye, that you can see in the photo. Awesome hunt, and glad to have put such a magnificent animal out of it's misery.

Jeff

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jeff,
If my memory serves me right, this bull went around 1700lbs. It took 3 shots from a .416 Rem. I'm really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Eland hunt. I hear too many hunters say that they don't want to hunt one as they remind them too much of cattle, which is a real shame.
They are just such an impressive animal, which will give you the same challenge as any other plains game animal.
Thanks for sharing your bull. Hell of a trophy you got there! Congratulations.

Take Care,
Marius

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Marius, that is a great eland. Nothing like an old blue jean bull.
[Linked Image]

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Marius, that is a Beast of a bull Eland!

I was very impressed with the athleticism of these huge animals the first time I was in their presence. They run and jump like you'd only expect to see a much smaller animal do. I personally found them quite challenging to hunt. I hunted for a big bull for well over a week with my bow in a very target rich environment without ever getting a shot. You cannot depend on waterholes as you can with many other animals.

This is my first bull but I hope it won't be my last.

[Linked Image]

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice eland's

The best one i ever came across was while hunting Cape Buffalo and Eland was not on my license. We came with 30 yards of the Bull before it knew we were there.

Some day i will return and put this at the top of my list...

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Never really thought about hunting eland before.....saw some on my trip, and they way they ran was somewhat comical; don't know quite how to describe it, but it was almost as if they didn't have any knee joints....almost like a "fast shuffle", for lack of a better term.
My P.H. and his wife seem to think that this is the BEST meat of all the wild game; after trying wildebeest, kudu, and gemsbok, I'm thinking I might have to go for one some day....just to try a taste! They other venision was out of this world!
You said it took 3 shots from a 416 to bring it down....would it be possible to take one of these animals humanely with a .30-06 or .338 Win. mag and premium bullets? Would rather put any "extra" monies towards game animals, airfare, or whatever instead of a new rifle.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was very fortunate to see one clear a 7ft fence a couple of years ago. One of the most impressive sights nature has ever given me.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
From a long time ago. Man child running loose in the bush�

[Linked Image]

And one JB got with me in 1999, his first IIRC�.

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 16gauge
Never really thought about hunting eland before.....saw some on my trip, and they way they ran was somewhat comical; don't know quite how to describe it, but it was almost as if they didn't have any knee joints....almost like a "fast shuffle", for lack of a better term.
My P.H. and his wife seem to think that this is the BEST meat of all the wild game; after trying wildebeest, kudu, and gemsbok, I'm thinking I might have to go for one some day....just to try a taste! They other venision was out of this world!
You said it took 3 shots from a 416 to bring it down....would it be possible to take one of these animals humanely with a .30-06 or .338 Win. mag and premium bullets? Would rather put any "extra" monies towards game animals, airfare, or whatever instead of a new rifle.

I sat down to Eland steaks just a couple of weeks ago during my most recent safari in South Africa, and they were as good as ever. It is my favorite wild game meat.

My Eland was taken with a 30.06 using 180 grain Norma Oryx factory ammo. I think I hit him 2 or 3 times, but my first well placed shot was enough to do the job. They are definitely big hardy beasts, but any projectile that enters the vitals will put them down given a bit of time. You certainly do not have to have a special rifle for them.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice bulls by all. I hope to add one to the skinning shed at some point. I've got the smallest duiker in a blue duiker, and i might as well add the largest antelope in an eland.

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mine , from Namibia last year. If the photo shows up.
One shot from .338WM.

Attached Images
Namibia 2013 076 (Small).jpg (78.85 KB, 187 downloads)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is one heck on an eland trophy sir! Mine was an old bull with well-groomed horns. It was a great classic eland hunt though, we tracked a pair of them for over four hours, took him at 175 yards with my 375.

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Awesome pics. Gotta try that some day.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Jeff,
If my memory serves me right, this bull went around 1700lbs. It took 3 shots from a .416 Rem. I'm really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Eland hunt. I hear too many hunters say that they don't want to hunt one as they remind them too much of cattle, which is a real shame.
They are just such an impressive animal, which will give you the same challenge as any other plains game animal.
Thanks for sharing your bull. Hell of a trophy you got there! Congratulations.

Take Care,
Marius

Some serious meat on the hoof there, Marius!

I really enjoyed hunting eland. Beautiful(and tasty!) animal. But it was how we hunted them, that I enjoyed the most. Cut a likely looking track, and walk them down. It was wonderful, and really glad that we got to do it several times before succeeding. Will do it again, for sure!

Regards,

Jeff

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's what I want to hear Jeff! Pleased to hear that you had a good hunt.

Had to cape him on the ground and quarter that bad boy to get him loaded onto the truck.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
That is one heck on an eland trophy sir! Mine was an old bull with well-groomed horns. It was a great classic eland hunt though, we tracked a pair of them for over four hours, took him at 175 yards with my 375.

[Linked Image]

And a world famous PH also.....wow

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

John Sharpe is looking older these days and you are much thinner! I still wouldn't cross John, don't let the grey in his hair fool you.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Awesome pics. Gotta try that some day.

Eland steaks are very tasty. I've had Cape Eland and Lord Derby eland, and both are worthy of Ruth's Chris. Eland, like beef, has fat marbled in the meat that adds to the flavor. I'd love to have a T-bone dry aged from one.

A treat that might surprise you is liver from eland (or kudu). Cooked in butter with a little salt and pepper, it is a delightful delicacy that in no respect will remind you of calf's liver.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I lived on Eland biltong during my recent safari. Man was it good!!! The marbling was fantastic.

Eric

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John's still working out and still pretty hard. As for me, yeah, just about 50lb (still have to fight it hard and I'm running five days/week now and hopefully my soon to be 60 year old legs won't quit on me). I'm also back to lifting a bit. Anyhow, hunting with John is a hell of an experience. In Zim, I just won't hunt with anyone else!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tedthorn

[Linked Image]

And a world famous PH also.....wow

Yeah, John's not too bad either... wink

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here are a couple I shot in Zimbabwe the past few years.

I love hunting eland, can't wait to hunt the Lord Derby eland in '15!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From RSA in 2008. Can't believe its been that long ago. Need to get back.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
KMG, that is a awesome bull! Here is a picture of my best eland and one of my favorite trophies.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by BigBullet; 08/30/14.

BigBullet
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness.

https://www.facebook.com/Natal-Outfitters-195443607135825/
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Wow, some nice bulls here! And wow, that guy in the picture sure is handsome! I recommend going after one of these big guys for sure. As others mentioned, the spot and stalk method of hunting these is worth it. I was shaking so bad from excitement when I saw this guy I threw my first shot into his lungs. Luckily I hit him again when he turned to run, the bullet went a**hole to brisket and put him down.

Thanks to KMG for a great hunt and a great eland.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always thought I shot a pretty nice Eland, but there are some whoppers posted on this thread!

Zim 2001
[Linked Image]

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My only eland so far, from the Eastern Cape a couple years ago. I found them very interesting to hunt. The one my brother got was quite a bit older and a bit bigger. Would love to hunt them again.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Found this photo. Now this is what I'm talking about. Steroids?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by KMGHuntingSafaris; 09/17/14.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Holy Crap!

I'll bet that one weighs as much as most hunters claim theirs weigh! wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
^^^^hahaha^^^^^

Looks like Elvis with that mop on his head.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Found this photo. Now this is what I'm talking about. Steroids?

[Linked Image]

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Buddy had a huge one come from a game ranch that butts up against his lease. He killed it with a heck of second shot from a 270 Win with 150 grain factory ammo. Gets his mount this week but it sticks out over three feet from the wall. No idea where he is planning on putting it.

I felt glad because I helped outfit him with the rifle and scope. That thing would have scared the hell out me and weighed more than one of his heifers. One of my first thoughts was dang, something out there actually eats these!

Last edited by kenjs1; 09/17/14.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I got this one a few years ago. it is a Cape Eland and it was a little over 39" on one horn and a little over 40" on the other. He was a little unusual since his horns didn't have much in the way of tip to tip spread and not much of a topnot.

[Linked Image]

He remains the biggest one I've seen in the field over the course of 5 safaris. My father got this one about 2 hrs after I got mine hunting in a different part of the concession. It was wild taking 2 eland bulls on the same day.

[Linked Image]

Be careful what you ask for because you just may get it someday.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All great trophies and on my list for 2015!!!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
[Linked Image]

Bow kill Livingstone Eland.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by akjeff
What did that bull weigh? Looks like a whopper. By far my favorite animal to hunt so far. I loved the tracking style of hunting we used. Walked down and passed on several bulls, before taking this tick ridden old timer. He had a nasty wound just below his right eye, that you can see in the photo. Awesome hunt, and glad to have put such a magnificent animal out of it's misery.

Jeff

[Linked Image]

THAT was a bull to take, for sure. He's an ancient old bull with well worn tips, a true trophy eland IMO! cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I hunted this one on Coutada 9 in Mozambique with Mokore Safaris. Extremely good hunt. Did not see him for the first three or four hours of tracking.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Outstanding Mike!

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Jeff

[Linked Image]

THAT was a bull to take, for sure. He's an ancient old bull with well worn tips, a true trophy eland IMO! cool

Thanks Bruce! Taking him with a drilling(9.3x74/12ga), was icing on the cake. Can't wait to do it again!

Hope that arm/shoulder heals up for you, so you can get back out there!

Regards,

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mike70560
I hunted this one on Coutada 9 in Mozambique with Mokore Safaris. Extremely good hunt. Did not see him for the first three or four hours of tracking.

[Linked Image]

Wow....very nice bull!!

Jeff

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Holy crap! Im gonna have to go back and delete my post! You guys are putting my little dink to shame! shocked

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
[Linked Image]

Last edited by osix; 09/19/14.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Dan�YOU SUCK!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
wink

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
You could get that one a new 'do' and he could pass for a Lord derby...

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
couldn't you guys wait for a big one? grin
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK, well , here is a question. Long horns or big mop? What's your choice?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Neither, really. For me, it's an old timer with heavy but tip worn horn's. No preference on the mop. Above all that, hunted via following tracks on foot.

Jeff

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle

Neither, really. For me, it's an old timer with heavy but tip worn horn's. No preference on the mop. Above all that, hunted via following tracks on foot.

Jeff

^^^^

This. Exactly.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not part of the question, gentleman. We all advocate fair chase hunting.
What part of the Eland do you consider a bigger part of the trophy. The horn length, or the mop?
Would you rather take a 40" bull or a 30" worn down bull that looks like Elvis?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Worn down with a dark thick mop.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
OK�I like the worn down old stuff. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not part of the question, gentleman. We all advocate fair chase hunting.
What part of the Eland do you consider a bigger part of the trophy. The horn length, or the mop?
Would you rather take a 40" bull or a 30" worn down bull that looks like Elvis?

30" worn down Elvis.

Jeff

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I can't decide. I love the look of both horn length and mop. Looking at the photos, it looks as though some have both. Really nice mop and great horn length. I once saw a pic of Eva Shocky with an old, massive "blue bull" that looked like the horns were only about 18" out of the head and worn down like the end of a baseball bat. I think that's beautiful also.

And we know that all things work for the good for those who love The Lord, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8-28
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah Woods, I agree. Worn down animal like that for me thanks, absolutely. No chance you could find that photo and post it here?

Here's another one I just found in my past photos:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by KMGHuntingSafaris; 09/22/14.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I'm looking Marius. I can't find it right now. I'm gonna keep looking.that one you just posted is gorgeous!! Thanks, Kevin

And we know that all things work for the good for those who love The Lord, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8-28
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

Eland with Leopards Valley Safari's. What a great hunt!

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rnovi
[Linked Image]

rnovi, Dave runs a class operation!
If I look at the background in your photo, I'm just glad I was not part of the recovery team that day!
Is that the shot high on the shoulder shoulder? Weapon?

Thanks for sharing.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rnovi
[Linked Image]

rnovi, Dave runs a class operation!
If I look at the background in your photo, I'm just glad I was not part of the recovery team that day!
Is that the shot high on the shoulder shoulder? Weapon?

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Marius,

Yes indeed, Dave puts on a FINE hunt!

Let's see, the Weapon: Merkel K1 in 7mm RMag. 6.5# scoped and slinger. The load was a 150gr. Nosler E-tip over 72.5gr. of Ramshot Magnum for about 3,000 fps.

[Linked Image]

You are right about the terrain! What you can't see is the elevation. We parked down low in the vale and put on a solid 90 minute stalk before we could get into shooting range. Thick brush, about 500' of elevation gain, acacia thorn - it was nasty.

When we finally got into position we were after a group of Eland some 400 yards away. As we were looking for a way up to the a second group appeared out of nowhere at 200 yards - with the bull we wanted behind a female, feeding head down in a cluster of either. We must have waited there on the sticks for over 20 minutes for them to move.

[Linked Image]

Can you count the critters in the pic?

I think we counted nearly 18 Eland and a solid dozen Blue Wildebeest on the side of the mountain above us. We kept wondering if they'd wind us the way the wind was swirling but we had parked so far away (*and they hadn't seen our approach) that they just milled about.

Right around the 20 minute mark they decided they didn't want to face to the left anymore and turned 180 degrees, starting a very, very slow walk out of this little thicket. My Bull stopped, perfectly silhouetted between two shrubs with his shoulder gleaming in the light.

I accepted the brace from Craig Done (My PH, great guy there), settled down and let fly.

That impact was right on the right side, lower shoulder and made the most incredible SCHMACK! The bullet impacted dead center on the big arm bone completely shattering the leg before punching through the ribs. That bull reared up and leapt a good 8 feet in the air and crashed straight down.

I get a second round into the rifle and sit there on the sticks. The Bull was down in the middle of the brush with only his head sticking up. He had this look about him like "What the heck just hit me???". And he just kept looking around.

The other Eland maybe walked off 20 yards and then just stood around. A few kept looking back, others were looking around to find us. The Wildebeest just stood there chewing their cud.

We had no approach with the Bull and no second shot the way he was down. All we could do was sit back a bit and wait. And Wait. And Wait.

Time gets all weird like that. I think we were there for 15 minutes, just waiting for him to put his head down. We pulled the camera out, took picture from the distance, started glassing the Blue's (they were on the dance card as well) and waited some more.

Finally the bull started to get up. I was locked in on the sticks and started saying "he's getting up! he's up! He's UP!" - I saw the left shoulder this time barely above the brush and decided to let fly on a high shoulder. It wasn't my ideal shot but it was the shot I had and I figured the real answer was to get some more lead in him as quick as possible. I did NOT want to chase a wounded Eland.

The second shot hit (that's the shot in the Pic) and the Bull went straight down. I can still remember the dust exploding off the high shoulder. With the running gear shattered on both sides he wasn't going anywhere. Still, I put another round in the chamber and stayed on the sticks another five minutes to see if there was any movement.

It was as perfect a first shot as could have been made. Except the 150gr. E-Tip just plain didn't have enough oomph to get to the heart. Trajectory was right and angle was right, just plain not enough penetration.

It took us another 30+ minutes to actually get up to the Bull. Yes, the conditions were just that tough to walk through. I really, really felt bad for the Eland Recovery Team. laugh

This guy was a Grand old warrior! Battle scars, busted horn (the right spiral is busted off at the base), lots of blue in the hide.

He was exactly what I wanted and it was the type of hunt I long for. Another few months and he will be back to me to hang proudly on my wall!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by rnovi; 09/30/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, I really like the Merkel K1. Sexy rifle, for sure. Light and easy to carry. I can't tell you how close I've come 3 or 4 times to buying one. Can't come close to justifying adding to my Arsenal of Democracy when I have multiples that do the same job.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

[Linked Image]

Looks kinda like Cody Lundin.

How much on average do Eland weigh?

Last edited by Jcubed; 10/05/14.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Jcubed

[Linked Image]

Looks kinda like Cody Lundin.

How much on average do Eland weigh?

1750-2000#. They're big.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
698 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 78 invisible), 2,924 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.