Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I was surprised at how easily the 7828 moved the 150NP to what I think is high velocity. The RL-22 loads shot extremely stiff with excessive recoil in the higher ranges before I broke off that experiment. I am not experiencing that at all with the 7828 and am really glad I tried it. The RL-22 is working great in my .264 however I did buy a pound of RL-33 to try and I have some retumbo on hand to try as well.

The Bronze Point flat scared me. That got my full attention. I pulled the rest of them and threw out bullets and powder. I got started with them back in the 80's when the local hardware store had nothing else one November. I shot them for several years, they never did me wrong. I just moved on to other offerings. I assume it was a fluke but I'm taking no more chances with them.

I'm glad you were ok then. I'm reminded that handloading is a 100% proposition, but humans are not 100% propositions. I've caught errors before they turned into messes, but I've made errors in ignorance that bit me in the ass...

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
NTG: I thought the same thing about this .270 topic and it's somewhat unexpected length. Just to keep it from petering out I will throw this in to stir the fire "My .280 with a 140 gr whatever will outperform your .270 with the same bullet weight!!!" LOL

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ishawooa338
NTG: ......"My .280 with a 140 gr whatever will outperform your .270 with the same bullet weight!!!" LOL

I've heard some 280 mavens say that with a straight face....and expect me to believe it... smile

It's always fun...

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Funny stuff huh Bob. Good thread though...Glad it keeps "chugging along"...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Back when I was so poor I had only 2 big game rifles they were a 270 and a 30-06. I killed elk with both but preferred the 30-06. Trying to figure out why other than the 30-06 gave me exit holes more often.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I introduced a good friend to handloading 20-something years ago. His big game rifle was a 270.....Winchester M70 Featherewight. All he ever used were 150 Corelokt factory loads......and had been killing elk for years with it; boy that rifle liked that load too.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Palidun
Back when I was so poor I had only 2 big game rifles they were a 270 and a 30-06. I killed elk with both but preferred the 30-06. Trying to figure out why other than the 30-06 gave me exit holes more often.

I am not sure a man would ever "need" more than these two cartridges for any North American game. 180's in the 30-06 and 130's in the 270. You will have a flat shooter, deep penetrator, and enough overlap between the two to always have a backup.

However, talking about need is totally inappropriate on the fire. grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter

I am not sure a man would ever "need" more than these two cartridges for any North American game. 180's in the 30-06 and 130's in the 270. You will have a flat shooter, deep penetrator, and enough overlap between the two to always have a backup.

Bingo!!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter

I didn't say a thing about need just that I was "poor". Yep I didn't need to spend all that money on other rifles but I sure wanted to. However the want part must have cost me many thousands and my two main rifles now are a 280AI and the same 30-06. The specialty rifles are where having closet space really comes in handy but there are at least 4 more rifles I just can't do without.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Most of us here are "rifle loonies", the talk of need is pure blasphemy!!! However, thanks to a few enablers and instigators here, I now have 2 270 rifles sick. Did I need them? Probably not..... whistle ....Oops, I forgot to add: Don't tell my wife.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When I was poor I had only 1 gun period-12ga single shot

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm still "poor", but when I was really poor I had 1 30-06 rifle that weighed a ton. It always worked just fine. Life may have been simpler then grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Most of us here are "rifle loonies", the talk of need is pure blasphemy!!! However, thanks to a few enablers and instigators here, I now have 2 270 rifles sick. Did I need them? Probably not..... whistle ....Oops, I forgot to add: Don't tell my wife.

I've got 3 270s. Don't care about the wife knowing, but don't tell Ingwe!

The load I hunt with is 130 Hornady over H4831. I intend to test the 140 Accubond over H4831 this year. I expect it will do the trick.

[Linked Image]

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I recently divested myself from all my 270 stuff except dies, a very accurate barrel for a Mauser action, said action and stock all seperate presently. I wanted to focus on my extensive bullet collection in 7mm and my three 7mm rifles. That said your Hornady load was my go to antelope and deer load for many years.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My dad bought a pre-war Model 70 in 270 back in the early 60's while he was stationed in Ketchikan with the USCG. Cost him two months wages as an E2. He proceeded to kill a bushel of Blacktails, a couple of Griz and a mountain goat with it. I'm pretty sure that most of his Roosevelts fell to that rifle too. He ended up trading it for three brand new Model 700 classics back in the mid 80's.

Last edited by ismith; 09/02/14.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

So with the help of the Campfire search tool, I started using some 7828SSC. I found that 55gr of it behind a 150 would give me groups in the 1" range. I bumped it up to 57 and am seeing larger groups, more in the 1.5 to 1.75" range. (I am no gee whiz with a rifle. I think all of my rifles are better shooters than I am.) But I have no pressure signs and my Pro Chrono tells me that they're leaving the barrel at about 2975, give or take.

The plot thickens. When I was getting velocities like these, it was in the high 80's at the range. Almost 90.

I went on Saturday. 60 degrees. First shot was 2898. Second was 2912. Third was 2925. Hmmm. While these velocities are fine, I have to admit I wasn't so hung up on velocity loss from temperature change, until then. I bought a pound of H4831, and going to try an extreme powder just to see what happens.

I am loving this chronograph. Real data, no guesstimating. Love it.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ismith
My dad bought a pre-war Model 70 in 270 back in the early 60's while he was stationed in Ketchikan with the USCG. Cost him two months wages as an E2. He proceeded to kill a bushel of Blacktails, a couple of Griz and a mountain goat with it. I'm pretty sure that most of his Roosevelts fell to that rifle too. He ended up trading it for three brand new Model 700 classics back in the mid 80's.

I was starting to have a lot of respect for your dad until I read the last sentence sick

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

So with the help of the Campfire search tool, I started using some 7828SSC. I found that 55gr of it behind a 150 would give me groups in the 1" range. I bumped it up to 57 and am seeing larger groups, more in the 1.5 to 1.75" range. (I am no gee whiz with a rifle. I think all of my rifles are better shooters than I am.) But I have no pressure signs and my Pro Chrono tells me that they're leaving the barrel at about 2975, give or take.

The plot thickens. When I was getting velocities like these, it was in the high 80's at the range. Almost 90.

I went on Saturday. 60 degrees. First shot was 2898. Second was 2912. Third was 2925. Hmmm. While these velocities are fine, I have to admit I wasn't so hung up on velocity loss from temperature change, until then. I bought a pound of H4831, and going to try an extreme powder just to see what happens.

I am loving this chronograph. Real data, no guesstimating. Love it.

You will like the extreme powders, especially H4831. A chronograph is also very handy, as you are finding out..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by ismith

I was starting to have a lot of respect for your dad until I read the last sentence sick

I own the last of the three rifles, a 30-06, it was my first big game rifle. It has accounted for a ton of game including my moms, wife's and my own first bucks. I also watched my dad drill a 170's class muley with it. Dad has a 1950 super grade in 22 hornet to play with still.

Last edited by ismith; 09/03/14.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (338reddog, 673, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 450yukon, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.