B
How many are using a 270 to hunt elk ?

What loads are you using ?

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Used it on one elk 140 gr. SST and I4350... Good lung shot, it ran about 150 yards or so... Maybe a bit farther..

Molon Labe
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
not currently, but I've killed elk in the past with the 130 Hornady spire point , 140 TBBC, and 150 TSX. Can't say I saw a measurable difference among them -- or between the .270 and the .280/160gr or 30-06 180 gr loads that I've used

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by billd

My loaner BPR killed two last year with 140 Interlocks. Cheap and easy like me..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like "cheap and easy", I'm kind of the same way: I've been shooting the 150gr. partition seconds from SPS, thinking they would make good elk medicine.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
.270 Win with 150 grain NPT seconds from SPS worked well on the elk I shot last year. Bringing out the heavy hitter, 30-06, this year. The .270 is the back-up rifle in camp.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I like "cheap and easy", I'm kind of the same way: I've been shooting the 150gr. partition seconds from SPS, thinking they would make good elk medicine.

I think you'll be very happy. I run the 150PTG's in the 270WSM and it'll be my son's back up this Fall.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scotty, you know me. I'll be packing my Alaskan, but may slip the 270 in a couple days, just to see if the mojo changes.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Unless you are close enough to make head shots, 270 is not going to work on elk.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
So if you are too close, you have to watch out for the ricochets too... Damned if you do and damned if you don't... eek.. Seriously though. The elk I've killed with my 338 and 9.3x62mm could have been kilt just as easily with a 270. I remember thinking that to myself after taking the shots.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any decent hunting bullet, from 130 gr and up is going to work- some bullets are slightly better than others, you can avoid a whole lot of sleepless nights by loading and shooting a Nosler partition in 130 to 150 grs what ever shoots best in your rifle, H-4831 or the IMR version 58 to 60 gr will get you there, work up 10% below those numbers- 1. 5 to 2 inch groups is plenty accurate for big game shooting. This is the easy part, the hard part is finding and elk to shoot, an even harder than that is packing it out, the best part sitting down to a good elk venison meal on a cold winters night!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Excellent post gmsemel. I was worried my rifle wasn't accurate enough, but it falls in the "1.5 inch group" category. It's pretty consistent, but not as good of a shooter as my 30-06 (or any other big game rifle I own, for that matter)....

[Linked Image]

Not real proud of this group, but it should get the job done if an elk presents itself. Since the OP was asking about loads, this is the one I'll be using this year. It's not the norm H or I 4831 JOC load, but I have tons of IMR 4350 on hand and running low on H4831. It is what it is...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
As a kid my cousins all carried 270s and I of course carried a "magnum". I always thought that my gun was superior. Now that I have some age and wisdom, I remember they shot just as many elk and deer as I did and their shoulder hurt alot less than mine did.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm loading 57.0 gr of H4831 and 150 Partitions for my dad. They pretty well duplicate the ballistics of the Federal Premium ammo line with the same bullet. ~2769 fps on avg out of his Tikka.

I'll caution you that this load is in excess of published max in the Nosler book.

Pop plans to put one through a bulls lungs ~49 days from today, and I sure as hell hope he does.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Excellent post gmsemel. I was worried my rifle wasn't accurate enough, but it falls in the "1.5 inch group" category. It's pretty consistent, but not as good of a shooter as my 30-06 (or any other big game rifle I own, for that matter)....

[Linked Image]

Not real proud of this group, but it should get the job done if an elk presents itself. Since the OP was asking about loads, this is the one I'll be using this year. It's not the norm H or I 4831 JOC load, but I have tons of IMR 4350 on hand and running low on H4831. It is what it is...

That'll work!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bsa1917, you are kidding about your rifle not being accurate enough, right? For a ten shot group with Nosler Partitions, that ain't bad shoot'n. Besides elk are big targets, not requiring target grade accuracy.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, most of my rifles shoot better. I do really like this rifle though. I plan to sneak it into the mix of rifles this season. We'll find out if it has good mojo or not..

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
The elk I took with the .270 although well hit and not stress, did run much farther than those I took with my .300 or .340... Could just have been that elk..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually thinking of going the other way this year.
Due to a shoulder injury, I'm considering using a 6mm Rem. 600 this year.
It's the only rifle in the safe I can shoulder.
I have little doubt that it will work.
But a .270 will damn sure do it.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good luck mcmurphrjk. You hunting the ruby mountains this year??

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Been using a 270 for (mostly) the past 40+ years.

150gr Partition--I got a lifetime supply of 2nds.

And pay no attention to ingwe.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image]

10 shots into less than 1 1/2 inches says more good things about the shooter, than a tiny 3 shot group says about the rifle and load.

Without a doubt, you are good to go.....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Been using a 270 for (mostly) the past 40+ years.

150gr Partition--I got a lifetime supply of 2nds.

And pay no attention to ingwe.......

Casey

Lots of Ingwe's have fallen to a 270.

My brother has recovered all the several bull elk he has shot with the venerable 270, often known as the unbelted magnum, with 140 gr Hornady interlocks.

Last edited by eyeball; 08/23/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, most of my rifles shoot better. I do really like this rifle though. I plan to sneak it into the mix of rifles this season. We'll find out if it has good mojo or not..

It'll get it done in style.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck mcmurphrjk. You hunting the ruby mountains this year??

Antelope just south of Elko, Deer, East Humboldt's / Ruby's, Elk north of the Ruby's, near Jarbidge.
Maybe by Elk season I'll be able to shoot my Model 70's again.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
The elk I took with the .270 although well hit and not stress, did run much farther than those I took with my .300 or .340... Could just have been that elk..
I've shot a truckload of elk, about 50-50 with a 270 and a 300 WSM. I haven't seen any difference in how far they've gone after the shot. None have ever gone more than 100 yds, most less than 10. I pick my shots and have passed up quite a few questionable ones.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk

It will work. Just put a 100-grain premium in it and go.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bsa1917hunter, let us know how you do and good luck. My hunt starts Sept.20th, can't wait.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks super T. Good luck to you as well. Sept. 20th. will be here before you know it. My hunt is second season general bull and starts in Nov.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Royce
Unless you are close enough to make head shots, 270 is not going to work on elk.

I've killed no less than half a dozen elk with a .270 Win with 150g NP's and they all were bang flops, so to make a statement like that is not responsible. The 270 will kill an elk if you put a bullet through the boiler room, every time.

God Bless America!
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
270 with 130gr barnes TTSX as a back up to my 06.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have shot several elk with the 270 Winchester, mostly with handloads using H4831 or R22 and 130 and 150 grain Partitions and Solid Base bullets but a few with 130 gr. Remington factory ammo. Mostly one shot kills with very acceptable results but multiple shots on a couple of animals when the first shot wasn't as good as it should have been.

The 270 is a good open country caliber for pronghorn, deer and elk. People who believe the 270 is inadequate for elk lack experience with the caliber.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C

I use 270 win. for elk! Shot a bull in 97 with trophy bonded bear claw 140gr no longer available. this year using 150 gr nosler ablr.

Do as I say do, not as I do!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by redfoxx

I've killed no less than half a dozen elk with a .270 Win with 150g NP's and they all were bang flops, so to make a statement like that is not responsible. The 270 will kill an elk if you put a bullet through the boiler room, every time.

I think Royce was probably just poking fun at the 270. Kind of like when I said it would bounce off (riccochet) laugh ..I'm sure every man here knows the 270 (loaded with the proper bullets) will kill an elk pretty easily when the bullet is placed in the boiler room. Well, everyone except ingwe whistle

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
smile I just might have killed an elk with a 270...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Harumph�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I figured that much laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Im gonna send that one in to Myth busters�it just simply can't be done��

wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
laugh

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk

A 243 and a 100gr PT works great on elk!

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

[Linked Image]

That's just no good! All but one shot missed the target. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Believe me, it's a lot bigger stretch for Two Left Footed, Can't See Outta One Eye, Blind in the Other, Deaf in Both Ears, Daydreaming Me, to kill an elk than it is to think a 270 would kill one!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by las

[Linked Image]

That's just no good! All but one shot missed the target. smile

I know. I was shooting all around it like horse shoes and hand grenades grin.. I was really reluctant to show that pic, but the op was wanting some loads. Generally the rifle shoots right around 1 moa for 5 shots. Like someone else said, elk are big critters. That's a good thing laugh

Here are a couple groups from my '57 fwt. The groups are circled. The lower one is with 53 grains of IMR 4350 and it is 5 shots. The upper group I changed my POA to the top of the red dot. 9 of those shots went into less than 1 inch (barely) and the last shot went way high to open the 10 shot group up to 1.401"... sick..:
[Linked Image]

Here is the rifle:
[Linked Image]

A little more info on that load:
[Linked Image]

My other 270 shoots this load alright as well (almost 1 moa 5 shot groups):
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I also tried the H4831 in the XTR fwt, but I haven't found the right load for it yet:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0864_zpseb5ebed8.jpg[/img]

Not an excellent shooter, but I think it shows some promise. These 270's have been fun to work with. I was just in the shop looking at some 150gr. grand slams that should work pretty good on elk as well so maybe next time I'll try to work on some loads with that bullet and see if the 2 rifles like them...

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Killed a cow with 130 NP and a couple bulls with 150 SBs. Worked just fine, but my 284 with 160 NPs is a real thumper.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Going back to a couple of studies that were done in Europe on thousands of moose kills, there was no significant difference in how far a moose travelled after being shot with everything from a 6.5x55 to a 375 H&H. THAT is how much good it does to nit-pick cartridges.
A couple of kills with any one cartridge do not prove much. I have seen whitetails shot with a 223 drop so fast that you could see four legs in the air as the rifle recoiled, and seen other deer shot with good placement by a 300 Winchester Magnum and 200 grain bullets require a finishing shot.
Remember, all those cartridge write-ups in the loading manuals that proclaim each and every cartridge to recoil less and kill better than similar cartridges, while exhibiting unbelievable accuracy, might be stretching the truth a little, because it is impossible for dozens of cartridges to all be superior to each other.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You go with the data that is available and throw in a little common sense where needed.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I have used .270, 7 RM, 7 Ultra, 300 WM, and .338 WM on elk. They all work and I was never been dissatisfied with the results. I load my own and choose Trophy Bonded, Nosler, or Bergers. However, I notice that many Wyoming locals simply buy whatever .270 Win ammo is on sale at Walmart and kill their elk just as dead as mine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wyoming locals buy 30-06... .270 bounces off elk.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I remember the 1st year of elk hunting for me back in 87. I showed up in camp with my .270. Boy did all the guys give me guff. Heard every thing from "how many times do ya have to pump up that BB gun", to "rabbits better watch out, a .270 is in camp." Not too many years later, and a few dead elk, all the talk went away. Doubters were believers.
All but one elk that I shot with the .270 were with 150 NP's, and shot one cow with a 140 gr. fail safe. Worked well.
These days, I shoot'em with a stick and string. But if I ever decide to go back rifle hunting, I wouldn't have to 2nd guess using a .270.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've not taken an elk but I have taken a very large red deer stag and bison with a 270 shooting 150 bullets. No problems taking either animal.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Given that a 270 will push a 150 faster than a 30-06 will push a 180, and given that the SD of the 150 is a skosh higher than that of the 180, it should hit harder and penetrate deeper, or at least as much. I expect it would take a forensic examiner to note the difference between the two. 30 cal bullets are prettier though. The elk even think so.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
30 cal bullets look ugly next to a 7mm bullet wink

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's because 7mm bullets make .30 caliber bullets look fat.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Bullet Dysmorphic Disorder?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm kinda late to the party.

I bought a .270Win in a Montana here earlier this year and its going to be my primary rifle this fall for deer and elk. While my elk experience doesn't add up to a whole lot, I did manage to kill one last year with a .30-06 and saw no reason why a .270 wouldn't do as well.

I put a Meopta scope from Doug on it and started working with RL-22. I had a whole pile of 150NP from SPS on hand and went to work. I just couldn't get the groups to shrink with the RL22 but man did I get velocity with it. I never found the top end pressure wise and that was a bit scary to me as well.

So with the help of the Campfire search tool, I started using some 7828SSC. I found that 55gr of it behind a 150 would give me groups in the 1" range. I bumped it up to 57 and am seeing larger groups, more in the 1.5 to 1.75" range. (I am no gee whiz with a rifle. I think all of my rifles are better shooters than I am.) But I have no pressure signs and my Pro Chrono tells me that they're leaving the barrel at about 2975, give or take.

As an aside, while I was working with the Meopta, I found some old Remington Bronze Points in 130. Factory loads, at least 20 years old, probably 25. I fired one of them and experienced a pressure event like i've not seen before. I was able to get the extractor off the rim, case still stuck in the chamber, primer fell out, used cleaning rod to tap it out. Wow. A real attention getter.

Last edited by BKinSD; 08/29/14.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
If you can, try H4831. Very accurate in my 270.

Also, I'm amazed this thread just keeps chugging along.

Last edited by NTG; 08/29/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used a 270 for a long time.........150 NPT, or Barnes 140TSX at a chrono'ed 2900 FPS.

Works on moose as well, to say nothing of deer.

MM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've had good luck with R-19 as well, with both 130s and 140s. If you can get a 150 to 2800, you've got a flat-shooting and powerful game-getter.

I rarely find the very top when I load, and I prefer accuracy to velocity. Top pressure puts more wear-and-tear on brass, gun, and shooter.

BKinSD, you shot some old Remington factory ammo that was over-pressure? I had some green box Rems with 130 Bronze points in the 80's. They shot the least accurately of any factory ammo I ran through that 270. It was moderate in pressure, by the way.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was surprised at how easily the 7828 moved the 150NP to what I think is high velocity. The RL-22 loads shot extremely stiff with excessive recoil in the higher ranges before I broke off that experiment. I am not experiencing that at all with the 7828 and am really glad I tried it. The RL-22 is working great in my .264 however I did buy a pound of RL-33 to try and I have some retumbo on hand to try as well.

The Bronze Point flat scared me. That got my full attention. I pulled the rest of them and threw out bullets and powder. I got started with them back in the 80's when the local hardware store had nothing else one November. I shot them for several years, they never did me wrong. I just moved on to other offerings. I assume it was a fluke but I'm taking no more chances with them.

Last edited by BKinSD; 08/29/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It is all my dad uses with the old 130 gr Core-Lokt.

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I was surprised at how easily the 7828 moved the 150NP to what I think is high velocity. The RL-22 loads shot extremely stiff with excessive recoil in the higher ranges before I broke off that experiment. I am not experiencing that at all with the 7828 and am really glad I tried it. The RL-22 is working great in my .264 however I did buy a pound of RL-33 to try and I have some retumbo on hand to try as well.

The Bronze Point flat scared me. That got my full attention. I pulled the rest of them and threw out bullets and powder. I got started with them back in the 80's when the local hardware store had nothing else one November. I shot them for several years, they never did me wrong. I just moved on to other offerings. I assume it was a fluke but I'm taking no more chances with them.

I'm glad you were ok then. I'm reminded that handloading is a 100% proposition, but humans are not 100% propositions. I've caught errors before they turned into messes, but I've made errors in ignorance that bit me in the ass...

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
NTG: I thought the same thing about this .270 topic and it's somewhat unexpected length. Just to keep it from petering out I will throw this in to stir the fire "My .280 with a 140 gr whatever will outperform your .270 with the same bullet weight!!!" LOL

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ishawooa338
NTG: ......"My .280 with a 140 gr whatever will outperform your .270 with the same bullet weight!!!" LOL

I've heard some 280 mavens say that with a straight face....and expect me to believe it... smile

It's always fun...

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Funny stuff huh Bob. Good thread though...Glad it keeps "chugging along"...

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Back when I was so poor I had only 2 big game rifles they were a 270 and a 30-06. I killed elk with both but preferred the 30-06. Trying to figure out why other than the 30-06 gave me exit holes more often.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I introduced a good friend to handloading 20-something years ago. His big game rifle was a 270.....Winchester M70 Featherewight. All he ever used were 150 Corelokt factory loads......and had been killing elk for years with it; boy that rifle liked that load too.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Palidun
Back when I was so poor I had only 2 big game rifles they were a 270 and a 30-06. I killed elk with both but preferred the 30-06. Trying to figure out why other than the 30-06 gave me exit holes more often.

I am not sure a man would ever "need" more than these two cartridges for any North American game. 180's in the 30-06 and 130's in the 270. You will have a flat shooter, deep penetrator, and enough overlap between the two to always have a backup.

However, talking about need is totally inappropriate on the fire. grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter

I am not sure a man would ever "need" more than these two cartridges for any North American game. 180's in the 30-06 and 130's in the 270. You will have a flat shooter, deep penetrator, and enough overlap between the two to always have a backup.

Bingo!!!

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter

I didn't say a thing about need just that I was "poor". Yep I didn't need to spend all that money on other rifles but I sure wanted to. However the want part must have cost me many thousands and my two main rifles now are a 280AI and the same 30-06. The specialty rifles are where having closet space really comes in handy but there are at least 4 more rifles I just can't do without.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Most of us here are "rifle loonies", the talk of need is pure blasphemy!!! However, thanks to a few enablers and instigators here, I now have 2 270 rifles sick. Did I need them? Probably not..... whistle ....Oops, I forgot to add: Don't tell my wife.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When I was poor I had only 1 gun period-12ga single shot

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm still "poor", but when I was really poor I had 1 30-06 rifle that weighed a ton. It always worked just fine. Life may have been simpler then grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of us here are "rifle loonies", the talk of need is pure blasphemy!!! However, thanks to a few enablers and instigators here, I now have 2 270 rifles sick. Did I need them? Probably not..... whistle ....Oops, I forgot to add: Don't tell my wife.

I've got 3 270s. Don't care about the wife knowing, but don't tell Ingwe!

The load I hunt with is 130 Hornady over H4831. I intend to test the 140 Accubond over H4831 this year. I expect it will do the trick.

[Linked Image]

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I recently divested myself from all my 270 stuff except dies, a very accurate barrel for a Mauser action, said action and stock all seperate presently. I wanted to focus on my extensive bullet collection in 7mm and my three 7mm rifles. That said your Hornady load was my go to antelope and deer load for many years.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My dad bought a pre-war Model 70 in 270 back in the early 60's while he was stationed in Ketchikan with the USCG. Cost him two months wages as an E2. He proceeded to kill a bushel of Blacktails, a couple of Griz and a mountain goat with it. I'm pretty sure that most of his Roosevelts fell to that rifle too. He ended up trading it for three brand new Model 700 classics back in the mid 80's.

Last edited by ismith; 09/02/14.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

So with the help of the Campfire search tool, I started using some 7828SSC. I found that 55gr of it behind a 150 would give me groups in the 1" range. I bumped it up to 57 and am seeing larger groups, more in the 1.5 to 1.75" range. (I am no gee whiz with a rifle. I think all of my rifles are better shooters than I am.) But I have no pressure signs and my Pro Chrono tells me that they're leaving the barrel at about 2975, give or take.

The plot thickens. When I was getting velocities like these, it was in the high 80's at the range. Almost 90.

I went on Saturday. 60 degrees. First shot was 2898. Second was 2912. Third was 2925. Hmmm. While these velocities are fine, I have to admit I wasn't so hung up on velocity loss from temperature change, until then. I bought a pound of H4831, and going to try an extreme powder just to see what happens.

I am loving this chronograph. Real data, no guesstimating. Love it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ismith
My dad bought a pre-war Model 70 in 270 back in the early 60's while he was stationed in Ketchikan with the USCG. Cost him two months wages as an E2. He proceeded to kill a bushel of Blacktails, a couple of Griz and a mountain goat with it. I'm pretty sure that most of his Roosevelts fell to that rifle too. He ended up trading it for three brand new Model 700 classics back in the mid 80's.

I was starting to have a lot of respect for your dad until I read the last sentence sick

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

The plot thickens. When I was getting velocities like these, it was in the high 80's at the range. Almost 90.

I went on Saturday. 60 degrees. First shot was 2898. Second was 2912. Third was 2925. Hmmm. While these velocities are fine, I have to admit I wasn't so hung up on velocity loss from temperature change, until then. I bought a pound of H4831, and going to try an extreme powder just to see what happens.

I am loving this chronograph. Real data, no guesstimating. Love it.

You will like the extreme powders, especially H4831. A chronograph is also very handy, as you are finding out..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ismith

I was starting to have a lot of respect for your dad until I read the last sentence sick

I own the last of the three rifles, a 30-06, it was my first big game rifle. It has accounted for a ton of game including my moms, wife's and my own first bucks. I also watched my dad drill a 170's class muley with it. Dad has a 1950 super grade in 22 hornet to play with still.

Last edited by ismith; 09/03/14.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,660
Posts18,455,690
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.